Humility

Old 12-23-2002, 07:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you all! This has been a really good post for me. There are so many different aspects to humility, that I didn't realize all that applied.

Richard & Searching - That was very thought searching. Checking my motives, and doing something out of the goodness of my heart, not looking for that recognition. I have actually been working on this, and somehow knowing that there were other motives for some of the things I do. But I can see now that not bringing that attention to myself is an act of humility.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Paused

GREAT TOPIC

wish i could hang out and just read the post all day
but i have to go to work i'll be back tonight
thanks for being here i love you guys
Old 01-10-2003, 10:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smile

Humility is a trait that is somewhat of an enigma. To be humble we must not know we are humble since if we know we are humble and begin to take pride in our humbleness, then we cease to be humble. Humility is something that is just done and not something that is planned or engineered. For again, if we plan to be humble, then our egos become involved and we begin focusing on the act of being humble rather than the event and therefore we again cease to be humble. To be humble is to just do: to do without the expectation of reward and without a "what's in it for me" attitude. Humility comes from doing and not from any results that only serve to puff up egos. Christ had humility. Gandhi had it. Mother Teresa had it. And Susan, and Joe, and Jane have it--the "ordinary" people who do the unrecorded things that are the glue holding our world and its people together.

So when you think of humility, don't "think" of humility. Just act and do without the thought of self or rewards. For when that is done, the rewards do ultimately come in a way that is far removed from any human gift that can be given.

"Humbleness is the manifestation of an understanding heart, and sets an example of greatness for others to follow."
--Paramahansa Yogananda, "Spiritual Diary"
Old 01-11-2003, 08:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ Daily Reflections & Meditations ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from A Day at a Time:

Reflection for the Day
We hear it said that all progress in the Program can be boiled down & measured by just two words: humility & responsibility. It’s also said that our entire spiritual development can be precisely measured by our degree of adherence to those standards. As AA co-founder Bill W. once put it, “Ever deepening humility, accompanied by an ever greater willingness to accept & to act upon clear-cut obligations—these are truly our touchstones for all growth in the life of the spirit.” Am I responsible?

Today I Pray

I pray that of all the good words & catch phrases & wisps of inspiration that come to me, I will remember these two above all: humility & responsibility. These may be the hardest to come by—humility because it means shooing away my pride, responsibility because I am in the habit of using my addiction as a thin excuse for getting out of obligations. I pray that I may break these old patterns.

Today I Will Remember

First humility, then responsibility.