Odoul's

Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odoul's

I witnessed someone who is a leader in our local Alano Club and someone who professes to 14 years of sobriety at a eatery sitting at the bar drinking odouls beer. It is .4% alcohol by volume but to me it is injesting alcohol and therefore could trigger the allergy aspects of the disease. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the subject and what if anything I should do n regards to our alano club?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face

Originally Posted by whitetail fever
I witnessed someone who is a leader in our local Alano Club and someone who professes to 14 years of sobriety at a eatery sitting at the bar drinking odouls beer. It is .4% alcohol by volume but to me it is injesting alcohol and therefore could trigger the allergy aspects of the disease. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the subject and what if anything I should do n regards to our alano club?
The person who is drinking O'Doulls probably is substituting that for another form of alcohol....you should do nothing as you cannot make them stop....it is not your job to "report" their behaviors......just pray thta they realize what they are doing....kahlia
Old 05-04-2005, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I thought we were supposed to wait for the board moderator to respond before posting, but no one ever does, so I'll be bad too this time lol. Anyway, I have heard that orange juice has a higher concentration of alcohol than NA beer after only a couple of days in the fridge. Also, I drank it from time to time when I had an interlock in my car and never had it register at all. And I have lip balm that would put me in lockout. Plus the stuff could sit in my fridge forever, which would never happen with the real deal. I never wanted more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, and if I had a real sixpack, it would be gone before the days over. So as far as setting off physical cravings, I think it is doubtful. That said, I'm sure it could be a strong psychological trigger just as the soda's that are bottled like mirco-brews could be. I do know a person with over 15 years of sobriety in LifeRing that drinks them and they haven't been a problem for him. I think it is a personal preference. With 14 years of sobriety, I'd venture to say that this man is self aware enough to know what poses a danger to his sobriety and what doesn't. And like Kahlia said, it's nobody's job to report people's behaviors. If AA had "police", I'm not sure how many people would go!

I was searching around a little bit and found this website: http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us

Doorknob
Old 05-05-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ask The Experts Moderator

finally back - thanks for your patience! (I'll do my best to catch up with un-read and un-responded-to posts)...

I'm basically moved to say two things here: for ME, I stay away from anything that I know has even a little alcohol in it. It would just feel creepy psychologically even if physically I weren't affected. Why would I want to taste beer when it could only remind me of drinking alcohol - even if it had a negligible amount (like O'Doul's)?

But more important is this great truth about alcoholism. It is a self-diagnosed disease. It's not for any of us to sit in judgment on anyone else - whatever they may decide to do. All we can do is clean our side of the street. What anyone else does isn't our business.

Decide what's sober for you. Do that. That's the only thing I know that works.

nice to be back!

best,
Guy
Old 05-06-2005, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by doorknob
I thought we were supposed to wait for the board moderator to respond before posting, but no one ever does, so I'll be bad too this time lol. Anyway, I have heard that orange juice has a higher concentration of alcohol than NA beer after only a couple of days in the fridge. Also, I drank it from time to time when I had an interlock in my car and never had it register at all. And I have lip balm that would put me in lockout. Plus the stuff could sit in my fridge forever, which would never happen with the real deal. I never wanted more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, and if I had a real sixpack, it would be gone before the days over. So as far as setting off physical cravings, I think it is doubtful. That said, I'm sure it could be a strong psychological trigger just as the soda's that are bottled like mirco-brews could be. I do know a person with over 15 years of sobriety in LifeRing that drinks them and they haven't been a problem for him. I think it is a personal preference. With 14 years of sobriety, I'd venture to say that this man is self aware enough to know what poses a danger to his sobriety and what doesn't. And like Kahlia said, it's nobody's job to report people's behaviors. If AA had "police", I'm not sure how many people would go!

I was searching around a little bit and found this website: http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us

Doorknob
SORRY about posting before GUY did!!! I jumped right in there!!!...Kahlia