wondering if you know...

Old 04-14-2005, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

wondering if you know...

Mark,
Thanks for your help the other day with the school gun threat and my reaction to it. I am back at school. All is well. The girl is gone, and I have spoken to my students and the school police officer about the incident.

However, something new just occured to me personally. For the first time in 11 months, I got my period. I have been dealing with perimenopause now for @ 6 years...going months without only to have it return. So, I'm wondering a few things.
Is this an appropriate topic for you on this forum? I tried to PM you, but, you only have a link for an email. If it is not, feel free to erase this thread. I don't know if you have any information or knowledge concerning women's issues or not.
Is my emotional upset about the gun threat a cause for my period to return? My doc had told me that 12 months without it means one is in full menopause. Frankly, I was looking forward to that time in my life.
Could that reaction have been part of PMS? I have had issues with PMS in the past, and have traced my moods and periods for my doc in the past. There was a clear link.
Sorry is this is not appropriate for this forum. I won't be upset if this thread disappears. Of course, I have written my doctor. I will give it to him tomorrow. I just never expected my period to return after 11 months!

Thanks for your help, again!
Shalom!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

historyteach - not to highjack this thread but i went thru years of perimenopause also and just when i thought i would get to a year without one - boom. it may just be the gradual decline in hormones. have they done the fsh test on you? good luck - it's a bumpy ride!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I got this funny story to tell.

may b

I should let my new friend from Litterbox City tell it
Old 04-15-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Doctor says that the fsh test is so unreliable that he doesn't bother with it anymore. I will go with him on that one. He's far more aware than I am. And I've done LOTS of reading on it.
Thanks anyway!
Shalom!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Addiction Expert

Wish I could tell you more about perimenopause.....I know something about it having worked with many women & lived with my wife & daughter...and I know hormones are powerful and unpredictable, as are periods.

This is, however, really a question for your ob/gyn
Old 04-19-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks, Mark.
I heard from my doc's office today. He ordered an ultrasound to "see" what's going on in there. I suspect all will be fine.
So, thank you again.
Shalom!
PS; I ordered your book, Healing Family Rifts. I can't wait for it to get here. Went to an alanon meeting the other day; topic was values, and I ended up crying. Losing my ex to gambling after 24 years, and my son to addiction; all my values seem to mean nothing to them. Long story, but, I am looking forward to reading your book. I read some of the inside online and it looks as if it will be beneficial for me. Don't think I've gotten over all of it, even after years of dealing with it.
So, thanks for the tip, too!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Addiction Expert

Thanks for ordering the book....you'll see I too had my Al Anon help and don't remember if i put it in the book, but the first time I went I cried my eyes out.

Another thought about your health: get your thyroid checked. Often is confused with perimenopause and some docs don't look at it.

Have a great Passover,
Mark
Old 04-20-2005, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thank you, Mark!
Good tip about the thyroid too. I know that can cause real problems - physically and emotionally. I'll call and request it.
L'Chaim!
(To Life!)