Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Archives > The Best of SoberRecovery
Reload this Page >

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Old 01-25-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

W.A. Preamble!

Whiners Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience,

strength and hope with each other,

that they may solve their whining problems and help others to recover from whinerism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop whineing.

There are no dues or fees for W.A. membership;

we are self-supporting through our own contributed whines.

W.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization, institutions,

TV, radio, or Oprah Book of the Month Club!

does not wish to engage in any controversy, yeah right!,

neither endorses nor opposes any causes.

Our primary purpose is to stop whine'n and help other whineaholics to achieve non whineity.

Whiners Anonymous Help (WAH!)

Do you whine, complain, or snivel? Are you a grumpy old fart?
Do you seek out others in taverns or internet chat rooms to whine about things?
Do people ever tell you to "like it or lump it"?
Are you asked, "What are you crying about?"
Do friends or family seem less likely to talk to you as the years go by?
Do you constantly tell other people they whine too much?

If you do any of these things, you may be in need of the WAH! 12 step program.
Whining is for tiny tots! Do you want to die a lonely old man/woman and whine about the prospect?
Stop whining now!

The WAH! 12 Step Program:

1. Admit you whine.

Just say, "I am a whiner."

2. Admit your whining is a problem.

It's not enough to know you whine--you have to realize it interferes with your life. Tell yourself, your spouse, and a friend that you have a problem with whining, that all you have ever done is whine. But don't whine to God! He already knows, all too well. God just sat back while you whined away the years. It's not His fault, after all, so don't go whining to Him with your problem.

3. Seek help to cure your whining.

Whining is but one of your many shortcomings, since you are a miserable excuse for a human being. Another shortcoming is you can't do anything for yourself, otherwise you would not whine. Go whine to somebody to help you--that's all you know how to do, remember?

4. Laugh at your whine.

Made a decision to turn your constant whining over to your sense of humor and learn to "lovingly and wholeheartedly" laugh at yourself each time you whine. Be prepared to be given the nickname "Loony Tunes," however.

5. Step out of your shoes.

Put your whine in perspective. There's a woman in Africa living in a mud hut with a grass roof and NO indoor plumbing. She lives off of $27 a year. She is totally blind and collects sticks for firewood, hoping the next stick isn't a snake. Now, what was your whine again?

6. Eat something nasty.

Eat some vegetable you hate without whining about the taste. And don't hold your nose or cover it with cheese!

7. Listen to other whiners.

Get a part time job in a complaint department and listen to other peoples' whines 8 hours a day. But don't complain about your job! If you do, go back to step 3. Go a whole week listening to your wife/husband complain and just say "yes dear." If you can't, go back to step 2. Have kids and listen to them whine--that's how you sound to others. Pay back time! What goes around, comes around!

8. Make a victim list.

Make of list of all persons you thought you had harmed and hope to hell that they'd forgotten all the minuscule crap you'd blown out of proportion. Ask them if you ever whined, and then be prepared to take the return whine.

9. Beat the crap out of your parents.

After all, they raised a whiner. Yes, you started early, but it is not your fault!

10. Beware of falling off the wagon.

Resign yourself to the fact you are going to whine each time you try to stick to your guns when you know you are right. Once a whiner, always a whiner, they say. So either just admit your are wrong or go back to step 1. Cripes, you mean you really want to go back to step 1 after getting to step 10?

11. Whine to your dog.

They love you no matter how much you whine. It's called unconditional love. Unless of course they sense your foul mood. Disguise your whine by mixing the words "good dog" in every sentence. They only know so many words--those two they know. Otherwise, your dog would hate you like all the people you know.

12. Help others.

Help some other whiney-assed bastard with his whine problem. You get to whine about their whining. It's great.

so have at it!

whine, snivle, rant, bitch, and rave away!!!

W.A. Disclaimer; just be prepared for the results

12 Promises of WA

If we are painstaking about developing our whining techniques, we will be amazed at how proficient we become at expressing our dissatisfaction with people, places, and things that irk us.

1. We are going to know a new freedom of expression.

2. We will realize it's phony to pretend happiness when we just aren't feeling it.

3. We will not regret our whines nor wish to deny their validity.

4. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know the peace of unburdening ourselves by sharing our whines at WA.

5. No matter how far down in the dumps we feel, we will see how our experience can benefit our fellow whiners.

6. That Pollyanna feeling of "la-dee-da, la-dee-da" will disappear.

7. We will set our own whines aside as we realize someone else's whine may be more deserving of our emotional support .

8. Self-centeredness will not be as prevalent, as we share and compare whining.

9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon ordinary blahs in general, and whining in particular will take on a new meaning.

10. Fear of being recognized and/or ostracized as a Chronic Whiner will leave us.

11. We will intuitively know that healthy whining is not to be stifled, but shared with others like ourselves.

12. We will suddenly realize that sharing a good whine can be very cathartic and we no longer need to whine alone.

Are these unreasonable promises? We think not. Whining has become our way of dealing with adversities--sometimes major, sometimes petty--and knowing our whines will not go unnoticed will work towards reducing the tensions produced by life's little speedbumps.

The Twelve Traditions of Whiner's Anonymous

1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon W.A. unity.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—the owners, Administrators and Moderators, Greeters and Members of this site as they may express themselves in our group conscience.

3. Our leaders are but trusted servants;but they do govern. The only requirement for W.A. membership is SR membership and a desire to share some whiny ESH.

4. This group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other whiners or W.A.as a whole.

5. Each group has but one primary purpose—to whine about things in a safe environment, have fun, blow off steam and then let it go while moving onward in recovery.

6. A W.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the W.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise,lest those who do not wish to whine or read other people's whines divert us from our primary purpose.

7. Every W.A. group ought to not to be fully self-supporting, and gratefully accept this venue given to us for the purpose of whining.

8. Whiner's Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our all of our whiners shall remain as special workers.

9. W.A., as such, ought never be organized; because they need to whine about the ups and downs of their lives.

10. Whiner's Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; because most people on the outside ignore whiners anyway.

11. Our public relations policy is based on whining rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of real life if that is what we choose.

12. Anonymity of screen names is optional for those who choose to use real names ever reminding us to place principles before personalities, and respect those from other fellowships. What we whine about here stays forever on the internet.
* WHINERS - WE'RE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT STUFF!! *

continues from here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-away-20.html

D
Old 01-25-2022, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dedicated to the Whiners who have gone before us.

D
Old 01-25-2022, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Those who've come b4 us is often on my mind Dee, an thanks for the new thread.
Emotions scream 'ISOLATE!'.
Logic brain constantly prompts doing stuff, not hide. Very close to a ton outside (100F) so no gardening.
I made myself wash, put on some 'wearin' out clothes, and went for a long drive with loud music. Then I did a bit of shopping, to be around humans. That helped too. The support here helps lots. My brain seems to constantly be in fight/flight mode.
Not even the slightest temptation to turn to alcohol. That's very good.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Dee.

PJ, good idea to go for a drive. Sounds like it helped blow away some ‘cobwebs’. I can relate to the ‘fight/flight’ state of mind. I was there for many years. Took me a long time to accept myself. I know you will too PJ. Keep on truckin my friend.

Least, next week will come soon enough.

Went to view a house yesterday. Well a bungalow really. It is nearer my mum in law’s. I liked it but didn’t love it. Mil said, when she asked me, that I would love it when I had my ‘stuff’ in it. I have many other aspects besides ‘my stuff’ though. The neighbors, my cats, traffic, (I live on a quiet road) all sorts of ‘pieces’ have to fit in the jigsaw for me to say ‘yes, this is the one!
We’re all the same I’m sure. Though I like where I live, there are plans for a plastic recycle factory to be built. Which won’t be good for my asthma, looking at another of the same in Holland. We need to be nearer Mil but I would’ve dearly loved to live by the sea. Sigh. I’m just leaving it to the ‘powers that be’.

Love to all Whinys xxxx
Old 01-25-2022, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mags, Holland, as in the country?

PJ, the long drive with music sounds like a good cure for 'what ails ya'.

Dee, thanks for the new part.

Well, it's late so I should go to bed.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Least, yes Holland where the other factory was built.

Night night to you and Billie, sweet dreams xx
Old 01-26-2022, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, for taking care of us
Mags, I love this title, and its very fitting. We will whine again, in honor of our friends gone on ahead of us .

Whine Baby its cold outside!
Old 01-26-2022, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mags, that is surely a big decision. Prayers that the very best solution comes along.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is pretty darn cold here with some snow and unfortunately I have to take my Mom to a procedure. I hate to say it but I hope she behaves herself as in listen to me with safety with using her walker. She can be so darn stubborn. .
I am also not feeling the best. Blah
Old 01-26-2022, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mags, thank you for the perfect title, and thanks Dee.

Mags, I agree there are so many things to consider when buying a house and deciding where to live. Sometimes making a written list of the pros and cons can help you muddle through. Good luck with the search.

PJ, I am so sorry for your struggles and, as always, wish you peace.

It's SO COLD here I don't even want to talk about it.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BK, I join you in picking hairs off fleece as a winter activity.....LMP #2 has two kitties

I love the title, very fitting Mags, and thank you Dee for dedicating it to Whiners who've gone ahead of us.

This area is to get snow this week end! It could be very significant or not......time will tell.

PJ, Our marriage counselor once advised us to to the exact thing Dee did....turn it around and ask ourselves if we'd say it to someone else? Of course the answer was most certainly not.....so why be so hard on ourselves. A long drive with some zippy music sounds like just the ticket

Goodness, LMP #1's apartment looks smaller by the day!! We'd already gifted a high chair to Eleanor, but due to her hypotonia she needs one with more head support......where to put it?! I'm off to patter around in my flannel jammies to investigate.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good morning whiners!

Woke up to the same old same old. I forgot to call the gastroenterologist yesterday cause of taking a long nap. Will call them today.

Alpine, I hope your mom listens to you and uses her walker. You don't need any more falls.

Pondy, it must be fun watching little Eleanor growing and developing.

It's very cold here too, only 7 F but feels colder.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

PJ, 100F, ouch. I've struggled a lot with being hard on myself also. Mostly I think, I expect perfection of myself with work, which had lead to heightened chronic anxiety. Trying to be more forgiving, demand less perfection. Not so easy.

Pondlady, I wish you success in finding the perfect high chair set up. Mrs CB wanted a rocking chair for rocking the kid to sleep when he was a baby. We still have a darn unsightly stack of expensive rocking chairs taking up space in the big upstairs room. Not sure of what to do with them as they were too expensive to just give them away, but no one wants to pay $400 for an 18 year old rocker.

Mags, looking for a new place sounds like it could be the source of a lot of anxiety. I hope it can be pain free, or even enjoyable at times.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

"We'll Meet Again" lovely WW2 song. Thanks Mags & Dee.

PJ - I haven't been around humans (except MrH) for about a week.
It's a great feeling when we finally realize alcohol is never going to be an option. It brings no answers & no relief.

Mags - Holland in Lincolnshire? Exciting to be looking at houses. I know what you mean about liking but not loving. It was my dream to live by the sea too. It can't happen now unless we hit the lottery - way too expensive. I wouldn't care about being 'beach front' - but even the houses near the ocean are big bucks (or pounds ). Hope you find a wonderful place that makes everyone happy.

Olympics start next week. I hope everything goes ok & no Covid out breaks. I always enjoy watching - especially figure skating & skiing.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A friend of mine came by and took me to the bank to get some cash.

Cityboy, when ek was born back in '76, my mom bought me a rocking chair to rock her. I still have that chair. Altho I did end up buying a Bentwood rocker as it was more comfy than the one mom got for me, which had a straight back on it and couldn't lean back in it.

Took Billie out when I came home and she did a LW. I had to get after her to make her pee as she kept trying to just go back inside. I knew she had to pee so I encouraged her and she finally did.

It's still bitter cold but the sun is out, shining brightly and will hopefully melt off some of this white stuff. Only 65 days til April 1st. I am counting down the days til I can feel warm breezes and see green growing things. I want to see that electric green haze when the trees are just beginning to bud. Looking up the street, the trees are all a bright green haze. It's beautiful.

I am loving this new keyboard. It's quiet and quick and the keys don't stick!

I have to use my cane to get around anywhere outside the house. I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on it. Besides being a useful item to have, it's also a work of art. When I bought it 20 plus years ago, I told the merchant, "I may need that someday." Never thinking that I would, indeed, need it someday.

I wish it would warm up enough that the strays' water dish wouldn't freeze so quickly. I give them fresh water twice a day but it freezes within the hour.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAIzTmNE0U

Old 01-26-2022, 11:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least;[url=tel:7758236
7758236]A friend of mine came by and took me to the bank to get some cash.

Cityboy, when ek was born back in '76, my mom bought me a rocking chair to rock her. I still have that chair. Altho I did end up buying a Bentwood rocker as it was more comfy than the one mom got for me, which had a straight back on it and couldn't lean back in it.

Took Billie out when I came home and she did a LW. I had to get after her to make her pee as she kept trying to just go back inside. I knew she had to pee so I encouraged her and she finally did.

It's still bitter cold but the sun is out, shining brightly and will hopefully melt off some of this white stuff. Only 65 days til April 1st. I am counting down the days til I can feel warm breezes and see green growing things. I want to see that electric green haze when the trees are just beginning to bud. Looking up the street, the trees are all a bright green haze. It's beautiful.

I am loving this new keyboard. It's quiet and quick and the keys don't stick!

I have to use my cane to get around anywhere outside the house. I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on it. Besides being a useful item to have, it's also a work of art. When I bought it 20 plus years ago, I told the merchant, "I may need that someday." Never thinking that I would, indeed, need it someday.

I wish it would warm up enough that the strays' water dish wouldn't freeze so quickly. I give them fresh water twice a day but it freezes within the hour.

I hear ya on that least. I think the official first day of spring in March 20.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Doing okay, I am here at the place for my Mom's procedure, it was darn sketchy getting her into the car due to the snow banks and a fun ride down her hill. Lol. I am trying to refocus myself and say positive things. I should probably wash my car off the next couple of days it is darn dirty from the snow.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

^^^ Alpine, wash your car on a sunny day so the sun can dry the water so the locks/doors won't freeze shut. Or spray WD 40 in the locks to displace the water that gets in. I also used to rub cooking oil with a cotton ball on the rubber gaskets on the doors. That helped keep them from freezing shut.

Intro, I know the official start of spring, but I always wait til April 1st to celebrate the coming of spring. March is too sketchy, weather-wise, and too prone to winter outbursts.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dirty cars after a snow storm. Ugh. I usually wait until the snow melts and the weather prediction is fair unless it is getting tough to see out the windows .

Alpine, getting old folk in and out of cars is a challenge even without snow.

Cityboy I sympathize with what you said here: "Bekind, I was in a routine of doing calisthenics in morning for a while. It's just so hard to stick to a routine.". I'm going on a second month of upping my exercise. I do like feeling stronger and all that but I get a bit whiney that every day I have to do it again. I wish I could see it like brushing my teeth and just do it. Usually in the midst of a yoga session I'm checking how much time left. Sigh.

Intro how is your mood right now? Are you still getting the afternoon downer times? Least what is your pain level?

Well I'm off to do more dratted yoga, check my to-do list and put a receipt away.

Onward with whatever your struggle brings you today.