Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Archives > The Best of SoberRecovery
Reload this Page >

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Old 01-28-2022, 06:16 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

There used to be a sugar beet plant in Longmont, Colorado..Well before I lived there. I used to ride my bike by it all the time. I enjoy maple syrup, the local apple mill here makes and it is really good. I do not partake much but have bought the maple powder and put it on my oatmeal. Yumm.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:24 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good morning whiners!

I've never liked beets. I know they're good for you but I never cared for them.

Well, it's Friday. The start of another weekend.

Alpine, how are you doing?
Old 01-28-2022, 07:55 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mags, I had a similar test to Suki when they were diagnosing my carpal tunnel syndrome. It didn't hurt, just felt odd.

I've felt dizzy since I got up so Billie and I are going to take a nap for a while.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cityboy - That's interesting about the pine trees. Who knew they were used for so many things?

Suki - How frustrating that no cause could be discovered. The way it's described, I'm surprised it didn't hurt - thanks for that reassurance for Mags.
As Cityboy asked - how are your neuropathy symptoms now?

Least - I forgot you had the test too - good to know it just felt 'odd'. I always end up dreading such things for days in advance, only to find out they weren't that bad.

Alpine - I meant to say yesterday that we visited Watertown last year when we were in 1000 Island area. We love the big Lake O. I can imagine how rough the winters are though. It's about 2 hrs. north of here.

Mags - It's so challenging to deal with that situation & remain calm. It's always been hard for me to not take things personally. I hope on some level she realizes how fortunate she is.

MrH, who was adopted, has found his birth father - we are 99% sure. He moved from NY to Florida decades ago & owned Sloppy Joe's Bar in Key West - where Ernest Hemingway & friends used to hang out. The person who gave us the info. is MrH's first cousin - she said he was a very good person & must have never known about the pregnancy. She said he would have wanted to know MrH & do the right thing. Made us feel much better. So now he knows who both bio parents were. If New York had allowed the records to be opened before now, he could have maybe spoken to them. It was probably for the best that he was adopted. He has met his bio sister & according to her their mother was quite a colorful character.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Rode my fat tire bike which has studs today. It was snowing and real temperature was at 3 degrees. Needless to say my toes got a little cold. I came home and started to write an email on my laptop a fellow SR and my screen just blanked out and I can not get it working at all. I have tried many things. What the heck.
My Mom has been wanting me to take her to a sewing place so she can re learn how to use her serger....but when I called her this morning she wants me to come over to sew a simple straight stitch for her on her basic. I told her she could do it and her reply is "I am too busy" I know her cognitive skills will not be able to handle the surgery and her saying she is too busy either means she has forgotten to use her standard machine
Old 01-28-2022, 11:13 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Suki. I’m sorry they didn’t find out the cause but I hope the treatment helps the peripheral neuropathy.

Hev, good news on finding Mr. H’s birth father. What a shame they didn’t meet.

Least I hope the dizziness has passed. I hope you was helped with your neuropathy problem.

CityBoy I may have read your post wrong about slash pine being using in grated cheese and ice cream? And diapers.

I’m weary, not long back from mum in law’s. She’s getting better, I think if she gets fully better she’ll remember nothing of it a few days later.

Love to all Whinys xxxx
Old 01-28-2022, 11:13 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Alpine, you sound like a bad- arse ridding at fat tire bike in such cold. Count me impressed.

Hevyn, I find adoptees looking up bio-family to be fascinating but it must be a bit scary too.

Well I'm "doing something about stuff this morning" . . . .adult stuff no less: I've paid a few bills, renewed my car registration (had a couple of glitches as the first credit card didn't work and I had to renew my mailing address). Also started laundry and loaded and started the dishwasher.

It is just after noon and I'm already feeling a bit down . . .ugh . . . well off to water the plants in the sun room, put registration and insurance back in the car and do another 5 minutes of yoga. Argh. Onward no matter what the internal weather is.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:22 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information, Cityboy.

grated cheese and ice cream? And diapers.
The trees are a source of cellulose, I expect.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:48 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Took a little nap with Billie. When I woke up she was still snuggled next to me.

The nerve conduction test was done many years ago but I remember it well.

Alpine, riding your bike in such cold weather - go, you! Yeah, your mom can't remember how to do it, hence "too busy".

Mags, hope mil's vertigo meds are helping.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:53 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

CB, Fascinating information on slash pines. Eleanor definitely appreciates those pines as she goes through lots of diapers !!! She had her first bites of solid food today, well puree. She had rice cereal , which she enjoyed and some of Grammas homemade applesauce.....which if her priceless expression says something....she did NOT enjoy - LOL !

Been watching episodes of Call the Midwife and one of the midwifes finally discusses going to AA for her drinking problem. The era is the 1960's. Eleanor's Mom and I talked about if I was still drinking, and how these special times with Eleanor wouldn't have been possible.

Expecting snow tomorrow, pretty flurries today.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:55 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Fed Billie and took her out, where she did a LW. I feel much better being able to do things for myself instead of relying on others' help to get them done.

Bro stopped by and cleaned the litter boxes. Also brought the trash cart back to the back yard. He said he'd be in tomorrow late morning for us to go to walmart for food. I made a list so I won't get home and discover I'd forgotten something.

Billie is taking her after supper nap. Bless her heart.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:46 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Yummy homemade quesisdlla for my mil and me
Old 01-28-2022, 03:49 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Toes finally warm after 3 degree ride. Should go out again tomorrow
Old 01-28-2022, 04:01 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can you get some of those self warming socks? Aren't there socks that heat up for a period of time? Alpine, your dinner sounds yummy.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:12 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi. Still same. Up n down. Was doing really good till I got myself worked up. Let the negative thoughts come in and I ruminated. I know better than that.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:25 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I posted this in Earth Prayers earlier but thought I'd post it here too:

Astronaut Jim Lovell had this amazing story:
Quote:

Uh well, I'll tell ya, I remember this one time - I'm in a Banshee at night in combat conditions, so there's no running lights on the carrier. It was the Shangri-La, and we were in the Sea of Japan and my radar had jammed, and my homing signal was gone... because somebody in Japan was actually using the same frequency. And so it was - it was leading me away from where I was supposed to be. And I'm lookin' down at a big, black ocean, so I flip on my map light, and then suddenly: zap. Everything shorts out right there in my cockpit. All my instruments are gone. My lights are gone. And I can't even tell now what my altitude is. I know I'm running out of fuel, so I'm thinking about ditching in the ocean. And I, I look down there, and then in the darkness there's this uh, there's this green trail. It's like a long carpet that's just laid out right beneath me. And it was the algae, right? It was that phosphorescent stuff that gets churned up in the wake of a big ship. And it was - it was - it was leading me home. You know? If my cockpit lights hadn't shorted out, there's no way I'd ever been able to see that. So uh, you, uh, never know... what... what events are to transpire to get you home.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:42 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oh Caramel, that's lovely. And what a lesson to learn from it.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:12 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good stuff, Caramel. thank you.

City boy, thats amazing, I had no idea that trees were used for some of those things. I read a cool saying today and thought of you and your gazillion trees.
'A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade treesunder which he knows full well he will never sit.' -Dr. Elton Trueblood.
Kind of a cool saying, I thought.

big hugs all 'round
Old 01-28-2022, 05:14 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Dont know why the bold words.....
Old 01-28-2022, 06:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Sorry about writing such a book earlier. I can get carried away talking about trees.

Chicory, I love that story.

Caramel, that is a wonderful story about the algae. We did a guided kayak night trip in mosquito lagoon with the phosphorescent algae and it was way cool. It must have been terrifying though to have your instrument lights go out in the open ocean.

Intro, I hope you can shake those negative thoughts.

Alpine, sounds like a cold bike ride. Hope you can get your screen working.

Hevyn, that's fascinating about Mr H's father.

Pondlady, I expect that Eleanor will come to like the homemade apple sauce.
I think about it sometimes, if I were still drinking, or how much different many things are. Two years is still a short time compared to nearly four decades. I suppose that eventually, things will just be things and will not be so subject to that type of comparison.

Bekind, hope the down feeling left.

Least, you must be very proud of your brother, being so helpful.