Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Archives > The Best of SoberRecovery
Reload this Page >

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Old 01-26-2022, 06:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Chic.
Pondy, sorry about Scuba too.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mags - I can be a bit dense at times. I get it now.

Pondy - I remember you talking about Scuba. It's so sad when they leave us - the time flies by so quickly.

Intro - I'm very happy to know you're feeling better.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Pondy, I too am sorry to hear about Scuba. God didn't give them long enough lifespans, that's for sure.

My feet are very numb tonight. Not painful, so much, but really numb and tingly. Makes me feet feel like they're not connected to my legs.

It's -1 F here. I feel so badly for those out in it, both people and animals.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Pondlady, that's very sad about scuba.

Yes, forecast is for a low in the mid twenties over the weekend where I am.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

CB That's really cold for your area. Here in NE Ohio it's -4 F with wind chill. Our local Salvation Army has a warming station set up at it's campus downtown, where people can be in a warm room and get a hot meal. I feel so badly for those in need, homeless, hungry. Makes my problems seem like first world problems and I'm lucky to have access to medical care for me and vet care for my critters.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I noticed a couple of wild plums starting to bloom yesterday afternoon. The first sign that spring is eminent, but not yet upon us. It seems strange that they would bloom just before what will likely be the coldest temperature of the year. I'm sure they know what they are doing though. I consider the first weekend of April, or the full moon of late March early April, to be the official kickoff of spring fishing, which I now can do without having to manage the beer drinking.

-7 sounds very cold.

Up a bit early. Heading to the nursery to pickup 37,000 little trees, which will be planted today and tomorrow on a customer's property. Always gratifying to see the little trees going in the ground.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Pondlady, our vet organizes a foster network for dogs. Our last two came from her connections. It seems to be a caring and noble thing to do. We could not do it as we would end up just keeping the dogs and would soon have a dozen or more laying around the house, unable to give them up.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:04 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

It's very very cold.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

City boy, 37,000 little trees, really? Holy cow, that’s lots. Hope there are lots of helping hands!
watched a documentary type show last night about the people in India who harvest salt . They live on site for 8 months of the year, and work so hard. They make about $2.50 per ton of salt , and the buyers make an unbelievable profit. It was very interesting, and it follows one family . Their children even attend school out there in the temporary set up.
guess I won’t tell the whole story, but it’s on Netflix, if anyones interested.
hope everyone has a good day.
im gonna try and do something about stuff today😊
Old 01-27-2022, 05:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Cityboy, wow that is a lot of trees, that will be beautiful.
Cold here, I still have to take little guy out for his walk but he does not seem to be in a hurry.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cityboy, 37,000 little trees!! That's a lot of trees.

Woke up to the same old same old. Might just go back to bed for a little nap.

My sweet old man Jack started out as a foster but I fell in love with him and ended up keeping him.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'd be the same - I'd be a foster failure - would have 10 dogs.

It was minus 8 here this morning - actual temperature. I win.

Good morning whiners - let's make it a whiny but hopeful day.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:02 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I slept so well last night and am not moving very fast this morning. I'd rather sit here, talk to you all and watch the snow fall than get up and going. My view of the snow looks through the sunroom and all the plants.

Anyhow I'm off to get dressed, feed the cats and check the laundry.

Have a good one all.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hevyn, I honestly am not sure what the actual temp was here this morning..They were saying 0 not including windchill..But hey please win because that is a little too cold for me. LOL Being up on Lake Ontario gets a little blustery. Years ago up near Watertown we we would have to plug cars in and when my boyfriend now husband was going to school up there they had one time -70 with windchill. Nope
Old 01-27-2022, 08:38 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Years ago when the girls were little, it was a very cold winter night. 20 below that night. I noticed a cat out on our porch, trying to keep warm. I was talking to my sister and told her about the cat and she said, oh bring that cat in the bsmt to get him out of the cold. So I did. Set him up with a little box, food and water, and a bed to sleep on. He lived in our bsmt that winter. The next spring he went to the vet for shots and neutering and became a house cat. I named him Spot, after Data's cat on ST tng. We had him for a long time before he died of old age.

Fed and watered the porch cats and fed the back yard cats. The water on the porch was frozen solid so I knocked it out of the dish and gave them fresh. Didn't see any cats in the shelters this morning.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Spot and Data

Old 01-27-2022, 09:45 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
I noticed a couple of wild plums starting to bloom yesterday afternoon. The first sign that spring is eminent, but not yet upon us. It seems strange that they would bloom just before what will likely be the coldest temperature of the year. I'm sure they know what they are doing though. I consider the first weekend of April, or the full moon of late March early April, to be the official kickoff of spring fishing, which I now can do without having to manage the beer drinking.

-7 sounds very cold.

Up a bit early. Heading to the nursery to pickup 37,000 little trees, which will be planted today and tomorrow on a customer's property. Always gratifying to see the little trees going in the ground.
I see the wild plum trees blooming 5-8 weeks after the winter solstice; as you say I'm sure they know what they are doing. A lovely and hopeful sign of Spring, to smell that sweet scent on the air and see the bees busy working.
37,000 trees - what kind of trees? planted in blocks for orchards, or forestry, or in lines for shelter? Hope they have a good growing season to start them off.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:23 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Finally got a call back from the gastroenterologist and made an appt for March 4th, soonest they had available. Well, at least I know I have an appt coming up.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Just returning to one of your earlier posts, least:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7757739
... It's just that the last regular job I had before the plant closed was second shift and my body clock is set on waking up later in the morning, like at 9. I've tried the two clocks thing and it doesn't work. I just end up shutting off the alarm and going back to bed, all without fully waking up. I'm just not a morning person at all. My last five working years was second shift and my circadian rhythm is set this way permanently now....
I think it would be worth your while to really focus on regaining a sleep-wake routine in normal hours. I'm sure it can be done.

It will be easier to maintain social contacts, and keep appointments; you will be part of the ordinary routines of the rest of the community; and your body will be doing what it's designed to do.

I'm sure health professionals would have some advice and guidance on achieving this.

It may take a while, but will only be beneficial to you.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's a picture of my useful work of art.