My guide to moderation - Page 2 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read




 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
BrandNewDay11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 269
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
A big thank you to everyone who commented here.
It means more so much to me to know this post might have given some people on SR any value in their sobriety. This site has been essential to my finally crossing the bridge to a fully sober life and I'm deeply honored to be able to give back in any way.
Lessgravity, I have saved this post in my journal to read and re-read over and over. It truly spoke to me and will continue to do so in times of struggle.
BrandNewDay11 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maladaptive
 
Shitzupuppy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: East coast, USA
Posts: 543
I printed it yesterday. Thank you again. It’s funny and accurate!
Shitzupuppy is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
PeacefulWater12's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: uk
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
A big thank you to everyone who commented here.

It was really helpful for me personally to go through this writing experiment - I wanted to be brutally honest with myself about what it would mean to keep drinking alcohol. Moderation, full blown drunk, whatever you might call it.

It means more so much to me to know this post might have given some people on SR any value in their sobriety. This site has been essential to my finally crossing the bridge to a fully sober life and I'm deeply honored to be able to give back in any way.
I have saved it in my online Recovery Tool kit.

I have a number of addictions, it is just as relevant to all of them as my alcohol addiction.

Many thanks for the work you put in.
PeacefulWater12 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 622
I've just read this post, it is SO good! Number 12 is the one that finally made me accept I had a real problem.
Brilliantly written.
JJ991 is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ocean Lover!
 
MantaLady's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: You know nothing Jon Snow - UK
Posts: 855


My all time most favorite thread bumped to celebrate Less's 5 months of sobriety! xx
__________________


Rock Bottom: Multiple - Each one worst than the last!
Rehab: 11th June 2018
Sobriety date: 11th June 2018
MantaLady is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 504
First time reading this. A very well-written post!
Atlast9999 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
G-Woman
 
shortstop81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 636
Glad I caught it this time 'round! Powerful post.
__________________
“Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it.”
shortstop81 is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Ihadmyfill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 62
Great post!! I am going the read it every day......because I have a short memory!
Ihadmyfill is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
No Dogma Please
 
MindfulMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,995
I missed this the first time you posted it. Brilliant.

When in rehab one of the crucial things I said in a meeting, both to myself and to a number of people listening, was "I'm sick of negotiating with alcohol." All of what you posted is what I meant by negotiation. It all seemed to take so much energy, and when you actually look at it, indicates that there is absolutely nothing positive about drinking.

If you are an alcoholic, the only way to stop negotiating with alcohol is to stop drinking, completely and forever.
MindfulMan is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
SoberCAH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Tn
Posts: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I missed this the first time you posted it. Brilliant.

When in rehab one of the crucial things I said in a meeting, both to myself and to a number of people listening, was "I'm sick of negotiating with alcohol." All of what you posted is what I meant by negotiation. It all seemed to take so much energy, and when you actually look at it, indicates that there is absolutely nothing positive about drinking.

If you are an alcoholic, the only way to stop negotiating with alcohol is to stop drinking, completely and forever.
I like the analogy of negotiating with alcohol.
SoberCAH is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 12:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
No Dogma Please
 
MindfulMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,995
I also think that most people are "normal" drinkers because they rarely, if ever, negotiate with alcohol. They have a drink or two at a function or split a nice bottle of wine with an amazing dinner every once in a while and really don't think much about drinking at all. They might even get hammered at a bachelor party...but they have a normal hangover instead of shaky horrible withdrawal and don't do that again for months, years or ever.

It doesn't control them at all, and they don't have to control their drinking at all.

It continues to amaze me how the majority of people are like this instead of like us alkies. When we drank we thought EVERYONE was a huge drinker, that drink was the focus of every gathering to everyone. No, that's not the case at all.
MindfulMan is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Redmayne
 
Redmayne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester, England, UK.
Posts: 1,399
Personally speaking ....

Personally speaking, in my 'drinking days' I found that I when speaking, should never move my lips at all and then if needs must, only in moderation simply to order another drink or borrow money from someone to buy some more...
__________________
'The time we have assigned to us is limited. If you do not use it to free yourself it is gone and will never return.' - Marcus Aurelius
Redmayne is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 05:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
lessgravity's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Big City
Posts: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I also think that most people are "normal" drinkers because they rarely, if ever, negotiate with alcohol. They have a drink or two at a function or split a nice bottle of wine with an amazing dinner every once in a while and really don't think much about drinking at all. They might even get hammered at a bachelor party...but they have a normal hangover instead of shaky horrible withdrawal and don't do that again for months, years or ever.

It doesn't control them at all, and they don't have to control their drinking at all.

It continues to amaze me how the majority of people are like this instead of like us alkies. When we drank we thought EVERYONE was a huge drinker, that drink was the focus of every gathering to everyone. No, that's not the case at all.
This
lessgravity is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
soberandhonest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 735
Awesome post lessgravity! Man, it's been a few years since I was caught in that shitstorm, but that post is pretty much spot on. I've tried a few times to explain the insanity of it all and the vicious cycle, your post does a really good job of providing that explanation. For me, it was the lies to myself that served as the engine for everything else to zip along. I'm still stunned that I could convince myself for so long that I had it all under control. Anyway, really, really great post. Thank you!
__________________
Living life fully since 12/8/2015
soberandhonest is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Timmy1028's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 70
Amazing! God - thank you for that reminder. I’ve been a few years sober now and reading this reminded me of all the stuff I do not ever want to go back to. Those 3 AM wake ups were the worst. Anxiety and all.

Until I started keeping enough booze on hand to level me out through those...

Oh God...what hell it was.
Timmy1028 is offline  
 



Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 AM.