Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Archives > The Best of SoberRecovery
Reload this Page >

What is the most important advice most often rejected by newcomers?

What is the most important advice most often rejected by newcomers?

Old 03-13-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The rate of change is actually just right -- any faster and it would feel like a buzz.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"Go and see your doctor."
Old 03-13-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think it's to keep coming back, there WILL be up's and downs on this journey .

You've got to keep on tenaciously learning how to deal with life sober .

m
Old 03-13-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
"One more thought...advice which is rejected by newcomers"
As a newcomer, it was actually the "lack of advice" from addicts which discouraged me ( but, only for a min.! )
I'm persistent ( but, what about all others? )
Well I am newcomer again back on Day 2 and always have ignored the fact that I think that I can control it and never to take that FIRST Drink. After that it is of to the races for me.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

(1) Framing becoming alcohol free as a choice not a punishment.

(2) Embracing, accepting, and committing to 'forever' as early as one is comfortable doing so.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
(1) Framing becoming alcohol free as a choice not a punishment.

(2) Embracing, accepting, and committing to 'forever' as early as one is comfortable doing so.
I'd like to add to number 2, AND THE SOONER THE BETTER.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

As alcoholics we want quick fixes, threads wanting to "test" sobreity, "I'm heading to a party. I'm heading to a bar" and "I have to go"!!

Such threads are usually filled with words of wisdom such as "don't go" . . . more people need to heed this sound advice.

Sobriety is a slow building of a new lifestyle, it won't happen overnight, it's gonna take time, and rushing out to put it to the test can be a disaster!!

Trust those that have been there and got the box of T-Shirts to show for it, we're not making this stuff up!!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Reach out BEFORE drinking.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

thinking that drunkeness is the problem and that by not getting drunk anymore, the rest of life will magically fall into place.

Kinda like thinking if you cut the rust out of an old car, the engine, transmission and upholstery will magically restore themselves.

Or putting a new roof on a run down house is a "full renovation "

Stopping drinking does bring magnificent results for a minority of people, but the majority need to put in far more work.

Human nature being what it is..... The minimal approach is very appealing.

So..... Good luck convincing people of the need for actions and work.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"Don't do it alone" would be my advice. Too hard...too lonely. Being around others who truly understand is critical for me. I am attending AA and logging on here.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

1) Be ready to do whatever it takes.

2) Nothing changes if nothing changes

Typical answer

yeah but......

Also I think that too many people approach sobriety as "getting on the wagon" (I can't stand that expression) instead of a lifestyle change. It s not about depriving ourselves, it is about looking at life and handling it in a different fashion.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It's hard to add much to the terrific responses so far. Some real wisdom here on SR.

One thing that strikes me is that newbies who are really struggling tend to view sobriety as some sort of punishment. That somehow, it's "just not fair" that they cannot have a drink. Just as often as not, a day or so later, they return remorsefully.

The sooner we start looking at sobriety as freedom, the better. I suspect it would make that first drink look like a bad choice.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Don't pick up that first drink
Protect your sobriety and avoid drinking situations for awile
Moderation doesn't and will never work
Do more then just stop drinking
Tell people and then use them for support
Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Sober wolf, what are the two wolves? Sorry I don't know what it refers to.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

One thing I think people ignore is the premise that addiction is addiction is addiction. "But my drinking is different. If you had my problems you would see that." Terminal uniqueness coupled with a "yeah, but, I'm different."

I also want to second, third, fourth the "but I absolutely have to go to this function." No one has to go anywhere they don't need to be but newcomers test limits. Woefully returning a week, month, couple of months later. Just say NO!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

These are all excellent. The only other thing is sometimes when we have not hit our bottom or necessarily lost anything "yet", we don't believe we are "as bad as some of the others". I made this mistake in 2008 and didn't stop when I should have...Most of the "yets" occurred for me between 2008-2012.

So I guess the message would be...look for the similarities and not the differences between you and other alcoholics.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep, try asking anyone who still has a job, a spouse, a car and a house and is drinking a lot if they think life might be a tad unmanageable?

Materially everything is still in place, so most of them will answer with a resounding... NO

Of course what has been missed is the obvious.......... If everything is fine and manageable........ Why do you need to go home and numb yourself with booze night after night after night?

Externals don't equate with internals.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Two Wolves

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life...

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,
"Which wolf will win?"

The old chief simply replied,
"The one you feed."
Old 03-13-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

TeeBee hit on something, one thing we do not put enough emphasis on and I believe it is very important. It kind of goes along with not doing this alone. Tell someone. And I don't mean sneak off to an aa meeting or come here and tell us. Tell someone significant in your life. Even if it is only one person who is close to you. Being able to get that out and share it with someone in your life is an incredible relief. And that person can and will - should - support you. If you have a "significant other" who still is drinking and will not stop to support you, then let someone else know about it.
Too often we shelter ourselves, whether it be from guilt or shame, when chances are it is not as big a secret as we think.
Tell somebody.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I also want to second, third, fourth the "but I absolutely have to go to this function." No one has to go anywhere they don't need to be but newcomers test limits. Woefully returning a week, month, couple of months later. Just say NO!
Agreed! Any sobriety "plan" that ends with the words "wish me luck" almost certainly needs more work and would benefit from more experienced feedback.

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Hi Sober wolf, what are the two wolves? Sorry I don't know what it refers to.
Here is an interesting discussion on the origin of the Two Wolves story, which really lies with Billy Graham. Check the tag on that ?Indian? story. | âpihtawikosisân