I wish I had the courage to go to AA.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Do this for yourself, WWG...please. Commit to going to one meeting everyday for one week or something...just a honest try so that you can say you gave it a shot.

I know what you're saying about being scared and ashamed. That was me two weeks ago. Since then I've been to ten meetings, picked up over two dozen phone numbers, received a 24-hour desire chip, made a few new Facebook friends, got a sponsor, selected a home group, and was appointed to my first service position. I'm currently working on a "90 in 90" and I'm eager to begin working the steps.

It all started by admitting that I was powerless over alcohol, and that my life had become unmanageable. No matter that I have a good job too. I haven't lost everything. In fact, I hadn't even lost much of anything, unless you take into account my self-respect, the respect of others, my dignity. But my life was flying by so quickly, I was expending so much time and energy, that I was a pretty good picture of unmanageability. I had tried to quit and failed many times on my own. Been down that road. I was going to die this way. I walked into the rooms as a last-ditch effort, and every turn has been a wonderful surprise.

Alcohol is an equal opportunity destroyer. It doesn't care what kind of car you drive, or how much money you make. The best advice I got was the first day I got together with my sponsor. He told me to look for the similarities in meetings, not the differences. And believe you me, there are many if you're willing to listen and take in what you're hearing. Since then it's only gotten better.

Something pretty special is happening to me WWG. Serenity? Acceptance? God's grace? I'm not sure what it is, but I hope and pray that it continues. Please don't let your fears keep you from something that may turn out to be wonderful.

I don't know you from a can of paint, but I'll fly up to Boston at my own expense and hit meetings with you if that's what it takes. And I'm not even joking. You can PM me absolutely anytime if you want a fellow newcomer's take on this, or if you want to take me up on my offer.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA works plain and simple but it does not offer carry out. Like Nike, "Just do it"
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I want to go to AA, and at least try it. But, I wish I could do it before or right after work so my wife will not know. She thinks that I can do this on my own, and she does not really understand home much I was drinking. That is because I would drink before she got home, and lied to her about the amount and then have a few more later in the evening. I explained to her how much I was drinking, but she thinks that I exaggerated the amount. I checked with in a 20 mile radius and there is nothing that works at these times.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

We are only as sick as our secrets. Tell your wife the truth and get it over with. It is time to start being honest with yourself and your wife.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I want to go to AA, and at least try it. But, I wish I could do it before or right after work so my wife will not know. She thinks that I can do this on my own, and she does not really understand home much I was drinking. That is because I would drink before she got home, and lied to her about the amount and then have a few more later in the evening. I explained to her how much I was drinking, but she thinks that I exaggerated the amount. I checked with in a 20 mile radius and there is nothing that works at these times.
I had to do a few things to make this work....First thing was getting honest with myself....That meant getting honest with people close to me....Then I had to figure out what lengths I was willing to go to....To make this work....Answer.....Any lengths....I had to stop looking for reasons not to do it....And do it.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

It took courage, and though about it for years, but finally also decided to be honest, and went. Not long ago. Don't regret it at all.

If it can encourage you.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
We are only as sick as our secrets. Tell your wife the truth and get it over with. It is time to start being honest with yourself and your wife.
I made and error and told you what to do. What you do is your decision not mine.

I will tell you instead what worked for me. My world was so full of secrets and lies I could not stand it any more. Hiding bottles, drinking vodka in the garage and then having a beer in front of my wife. When my world came crashing down I was terrified to admit to her how sick I was. When I told her most of the truth I felt so much better. The secrets were no longer secret and it was the beginning of my recovery. She was not impressed but she realized what a grip alcohol had on me
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

My 2 cents

[She thinks that I can do this on my own],

But you know you can't.

Sorry for your troubles brother. Part of me wants to tell you to grow a pair and get your ass in there, but I know where your heads at right now and I'd be a hypocrite.

I too knew I belonged in AA but my shame and fear kept me outside the doors for 3 friggin years. 3 years in which i could have spent real quality time with my wife and daughter.3 years where I constantly lived with my alcohol problem, when I could have been working on the solution.

I finally got to the point where I had to do something, my life was a living hell so I came to AA and guess what I found? people like me. Old people, young people, black people, white people, doctors, lawyers, day laborers, rich people, poor people,and people like you.

My only regret is not going sooner. I suffered needlessly and my wife and daughter are forever grateful I took that first step.

Surrender to win! It may not make sense now, but trust me it will.

Best of luck,

SH
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I want to go, but I feel embarrassed telling my wife I want to go. My wife knows that I have an issue, but she still thinks that I can have 2 and stop. I don't think that she can understand how I obsess about drinking, and cannot stop the thought of drinking. I made 11 days recently and she was proud, but I am not sure she knows how hard it is for me. She and understands the disease, but not sure she understands how hard it is for me.
I can really relate to this. I didn't want to tell my husband either. But one day I just blurted it out, over the phone of course because I was so wussy. But he surprised me and just said, ok, I think it'd be good for you. Shocker!

So then I went. I hid in the back, didn't say a peep. But I did like what I heard, and eventually I heard my story. Several times over. I was amazed at how others drank just like me. I love AA now and go all the time. It's just a matter of getting used to it, like anything else. The longer you wait and think about it, the more your brain makes it this giant thing when it really isn't.

Oh and almost 10 months later, my husband still doesn't get it. I don't bother trying to explain either. But my group of friends from AA get it! And that's a huge relief. All my husband needs to know is I quit for good. And I can honestly tell you my relationship with him is better than it ever has been - and we've been married for almost 10 years.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi WWG

First of all, thank you to my friend WTH for that wonderful, totally honest post and your kindness.

WWG, I’ve mentioned to you previously about going to A.A and at that time you had the impression that it was just a room full of bums. Unfortunately, I can’t write as eloquently as WTH but I’d like to tell you about my first meeting at A.A.

Like you, I had been drinking secretly at home and thought that I could handle it, I never dreamt for one minute how much my drinking would escalate out of control and how much pain, hurt and trouble I would cause.

I really, really didn’t want to go to A,A, I just didn’t know what to expect. But I had to go to prove to my family that I meant it when I told them I wanted to stop drinking and that I was sorry for all the damage I’d done. I had two choices, A.A and sort my life out or lose my precious family forever.

The first meeting I went to was held in a church hall and I went alone. I sat outside in my car for 20 minutes telling myself I couldn’t go in and that I would go home and pretend I’d been. I’m very quiet and shy, not a lot of confidence so it was a really big deal for me to walk into a room full of strangers. Anyway, I eventually got out of the car and plucked up the courage, from God knows where, to walk in.

There were a few rows of chairs in the room and at the front was a table with people sat round. I didn’t know anything about AA at all and I actually thought the people round the table were secretaries and bigwigs from the AA who would be telling me about the error of my ways! How wrong could I be? Every single person in that room, including the people sat round the table had or was recovering from alcoholism. Every single one!

I sat at the back of the room on my own. I wasn’t on my own for long! People quietly came to me, sat with me asking if this was my first meeting, made me a coffee, virtually held my hand and made me feel more than welcome, A couple of people took my mobile number and gave me theirs in case I needed to talk to anyone. I sat through the whole meeting sobbing! No fuss was made, no one announced that a new member had started, no one drew any attention to me, I wasn’t asked to share and I wasn’t questioned as to why I had turned up there.

I was really surprised at how that meeting went, it was a case of anyone who wanted to was given the opportunity to share their story and some of the stories really astounded and inspired me, especially the story given by a man who was celebrating 25 yrs of sobriety. He had literally been homeless and in the gutter, but he turned his life round completely, gave up drinking, met a girl, got married, bought a house and had adopted a baby who had been born to a drug addict. He and the baby recovered together. That baby is now 19!!

There were people from all walks of life and of all ages at the meeting, there were a couple of Doctors, a nurse, many professional people, a few housewives and a few unfortunate homeless people plus myself. I may not be the brightest button in the sewing box, but I have a nice house, no mortgage, a decent job, my own car, all gained through working hard, and a lovely family! I didn’t choose alcoholism, it chose me!

I’ve been to many meetings, some better than others, held in school halls, churches, community centres etc etc and I have never yet been brave enough to share. I just panic at the thought of being the centre of attention. I have never been made to feel awkward about this and no one has ever tried to force me to speak. I have been asked if I would like to share once or twice, but I’ve just said that I’m not ready yet! Maybe someday, maybe not!! It’s worth a try WWG, it could be the making of you!

I am a bit puzzled as to why you don’t want to tell your wife if you go to meetings! You say she understands about alcoholism, but I’m not so sure she does, otherwise she wouldn’t be thinking you could stop at one or two!! I guess that you may have probably being trying to protect her from the full truth, you love her very much and don’t want to hurt her, but honestly I think you need to sit down with her and tell her EXACTLY how it is. Your wife sounds lovely and she sounds very understanding. I don’t doubt for a second that she will support you 100% and will want you to get all the help you can. You haven’t been able to quit drinking on your own (don’t know anyone who has), you’re saying you need more than S.R, so what have you got to lose by giving it a go? Nothing at all, you’ve got everything to gain, plus the total honesty will make your marriage even stronger.

Just give it a try, for your lovely wife, for your precious daughter and most of all for you!

I wish you all the luck and all the love in the world. I just hope and pray that you will do what you need to do.

Big hugs

GXXXX
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Somehow I missed the bum part. That's funny. I thought it'd be a bunch of skid row bums too. And of course, you do see that from time to time. Heck, you see everybody. Half of my home group are lawyers. The other half are various professionals, with the occasional student or young person.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post
Hi WWG

First of all, thank you to my friend WTH for that wonderful, totally honest post and your kindness.

WWG, I’ve mentioned to you previously about going to A.A and at that time you had the impression that it was just a room full of bums. Unfortunately, I can’t write as eloquently as WTH but I’d like to tell you about my first meeting at A.A.

Like you, I had been drinking secretly at home and thought that I could handle it, I never dreamt for one minute how much my drinking would escalate out of control and how much pain, hurt and trouble I would cause.

I really, really didn’t want to go to A,A, I just didn’t know what to expect. But I had to go to prove to my family that I meant it when I told them I wanted to stop drinking and that I was sorry for all the damage I’d done. I had two choices, A.A and sort my life out or lose my precious family forever.

The first meeting I went to was held in a church hall and I went alone. I sat outside in my car for 20 minutes telling myself I couldn’t go in and that I would go home and pretend I’d been. I’m very quiet and shy, not a lot of confidence so it was a really big deal for me to walk into a room full of strangers. Anyway, I eventually got out of the car and plucked up the courage, from God knows where, to walk in.

There were a few rows of chairs in the room and at the front was a table with people sat round. I didn’t know anything about AA at all and I actually thought the people round the table were secretaries and bigwigs from the AA who would be telling me about the error of my ways! How wrong could I be? Every single person in that room, including the people sat round the table had or was recovering from alcoholism. Every single one!

I sat at the back of the room on my own. I wasn’t on my own for long! People quietly came to me, sat with me asking if this was my first meeting, made me a coffee, virtually held my hand and made me feel more than welcome, A couple of people took my mobile number and gave me theirs in case I needed to talk to anyone. I sat through the whole meeting sobbing! No fuss was made, no one announced that a new member had started, no one drew any attention to me, I wasn’t asked to share and I wasn’t questioned as to why I had turned up there.

I was really surprised at how that meeting went, it was a case of anyone who wanted to was given the opportunity to share their story and some of the stories really astounded and inspired me, especially the story given by a man who was celebrating 25 yrs of sobriety. He had literally been homeless and in the gutter, but he turned his life round completely, gave up drinking, met a girl, got married, bought a house and had adopted a baby who had been born to a drug addict. He and the baby recovered together. That baby is now 19!!

There were people from all walks of life and of all ages at the meeting, there were a couple of Doctors, a nurse, many professional people, a few housewives and a few unfortunate homeless people plus myself. I may not be the brightest button in the sewing box, but I have a nice house, no mortgage, a decent job, my own car, all gained through working hard, and a lovely family! I didn’t choose alcoholism, it chose me!

I’ve been to many meetings, some better than others, held in school halls, churches, community centres etc etc and I have never yet been brave enough to share. I just panic at the thought of being the centre of attention. I have never been made to feel awkward about this and no one has ever tried to force me to speak. I have been asked if I would like to share once or twice, but I’ve just said that I’m not ready yet! Maybe someday, maybe not!! It’s worth a try WWG, it could be the making of you!

I am a bit puzzled as to why you don’t want to tell your wife if you go to meetings! You say she understands about alcoholism, but I’m not so sure she does, otherwise she wouldn’t be thinking you could stop at one or two!! I guess that you may have probably being trying to protect her from the full truth, you love her very much and don’t want to hurt her, but honestly I think you need to sit down with her and tell her EXACTLY how it is. Your wife sounds lovely and she sounds very understanding. I don’t doubt for a second that she will support you 100% and will want you to get all the help you can. You haven’t been able to quit drinking on your own (don’t know anyone who has), you’re saying you need more than S.R, so what have you got to lose by giving it a go? Nothing at all, you’ve got everything to gain, plus the total honesty will make your marriage even stronger.

Just give it a try, for your lovely wife, for your precious daughter and most of all for you!

I wish you all the luck and all the love in the world. I just hope and pray that you will do what you need to do.

Big hugs

GXXXX
That was a great post, and the more I read about AA experiences the more I want to go. I realize that I need something more to make me committed to recovery. I think what may be getting in my way is accepting the fact that I will never drink again, it is much easier to accept that I won't drink today. I wish there was an early morning meeting or after work meeting that I could go to. But, all the available meetings are after 7 or 8 o’clock at night. Grace thank you again for inspiring me.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I am not trying to say that all AA people are "bums", but it is all that comes to mind. I guess I have watched too much TV. I am not anything special, just a 34 year old professional dad/husband trying to work hard and climb the ladder. Sorry to all of you if I came off as a snob, I trust you I am not.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Sorry to all of you if I came off as a snob, I trust you I am not.
You totally did not come off as a snob. Just a little uninformed. But trust me, I get it. I had all kinds of ideas. I also came up with a lot of (what I thought) were good reasons why AA wasn't for me. Truth was, I had never been to AA and therefore really had no idea what I was talking about. It's like "knowing" all about Massachusetts, when I've never been to the northeast.

I assume you've already checked these sites for locales?

Welcome AABoston.org Central Service Committe of Eastern Mass. (Intergroup)
Area 30 | AA General Service Office of Eastern MA
Western Mass Intergroup,Western Mass Alcoholics Anonymous, Area AA Committee Information, meeting lists for english
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Don't ever sell yourself short, Grace, your post was wonderful. The kind of loving acceptance you've described is what I've come to expect as the norm from going to meetings. It is changing my life bit by bit.

If I feel this way after only about two weeks, what will I look like six months, a year from now? I can't wait to find that person again. I know he's in there wanting to get out.

WWG, sorry again if I've been at all heavy-handed about this. I need to remember that AA teaches attraction to the program, not promotion. But believe me when I tell you that what I've gotten out of it - even in this short time - is something I want for anybody who still suffers.

When you're ready, if you're ready, the fellowship will welcome you with outstretched arms...that much I am willing to personally guarantee! Be well my friend!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
You totally did not come off as a snob. Just a little uninformed. But trust me, I get it. I had all kinds of ideas. I also came up with a lot of (what I thought) were good reasons why AA wasn't for me. Truth was, I had never been to AA and therefore really had no idea what I was talking about. It's like "knowing" all about Massachusetts, when I've never been to the northeast.

I assume you've already checked these sites for locales?

Welcome AABoston.org Central Service Committe of Eastern Mass. (Intergroup)
Area 30 | AA General Service Office of Eastern MA
Western Mass Intergroup,Western Mass Alcoholics Anonymous, Area AA Committee Information, meeting lists for english
I have checked. I just wish there was a meeting that was more convenient, that really sounds like an excuse.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I don't have any personal experience with this, but there are also telephone and web-based meetings you can do from the comfort of your own home. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge proponent of face-to-face support, but maybe this would be a good way to dip your toe in the water?

Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I have checked. I just wish there was a meeting that was more convenient, that really sounds like an excuse.
LOL, well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Up to you to decide. I used to sort of feel the same way. I go on my lunch hour. Lunch was very important to me. I still eat lunch, just not at that time. I look forward to going now, so it doesn't seem like much of an inconvenience.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

"Hi, I'm John, and I'm an alcoholic." I just got back from a lunch-time AA meeting.... I hadn't been to a meeting since Sunday night, and I was missing it / needing one. Great fellowship today.... The reading was about self-pity, how we should not feel sorry for ourselves, and that we should recognize that there are many people out there who are less fortunate than we are. We all went around the table and talked about what that means to us in our recovery. Wow, I heard some great comments that really hit home with me. I can't wait till my next AA meeting. Maybe I'll try to hit a meeting tonight too.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I am not trying to say that all AA people are "bums", but it is all that comes to mind. I guess I have watched too much TV. I am not anything special, just a 34 year old professional dad/husband trying to work hard and climb the ladder. Sorry to all of you if I came off as a snob, I trust you I am not.
Only in going to the meetings will you see how unfounded your fears are...

Half the folks there will be professional/technical husband/fathers. Some who waited so long they lost their families and some who came just in time to save them.

All the best.

Bob R