It's our 11th SR Birthday!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

been here over 6 years now and SR was the start of my recovery. Thanks all of you.

Congrats
Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, SR.

Your birthday almost coincides with my three months sobriety (two days ago) and this site has been a HUGE part of making that possible. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I LOVE YOU, SR!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Wow! SR...I sing your praises to all newcomers I meet, and have announced you as "non-AA related events" at a meeting or two. THAT's how important you are in my life. The people here are top notch; and are my lifeline to recovery. To never be alone in recovery...that is the key to success. SR makes it possible.

Ohhh....how I wish I knew you when you were born!

Thanks, from the bottom of my heart.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I arrived in September of 2003, having been sober for about 3 years.

And, I'm still here.

SR is a labor of love from each and everyone of us who come here and share our stories.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I arrived here broken and sad and completely by accident...or act of God...more likely. However it happened I found hope and love the moment I came in and have learned and grown every day since...for over 9 years now.

It was here where I learned to laugh again, mostly at myself, something I had not done in a long time. I learned to share, to love and I learned that I was never ever alone...not anymore.

My heart will always remember Jon, the founder of this site who took a dream and made it grow, who walked with me during some of my darkest days here. Thank you Jon.

My heart will also remember those who are no longer with us, the friends who shared my journey and whose light will always remain in my heart.

I am grateful for every member here because it is each of you who make this place what it is today. The oldtimers and newcomers each have brought me special wisdom, friendship and most of all hope that every addict still struggling may see our light and join us in recovery.

Happy Birthday SR, thank you for giving me my life back, thank you for giving me hope and thank you most of all for all the wonderful people here who have become my friends. Thank you.

Happy 11th Birthday SR, may you have many many more. :day1

Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm on my 11th day without alcohol and feel the best I have in years. I have a long, long way to go but I know I would not be sober today without SR so a heartfelt thanks to everyone who shares their lives on this website. Happy Birthday!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
FT

Happy Birthday SR!

I can count you as least a partial reason for my own recovery.

FT
Old 09-18-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sober Recovery has played a large role in my sobriety.

7 SR, here's too 11 more!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SR!!!I In a short time SR has become very important to me. I feel like I have a whole new world openend up to me!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Ann View Post

My heart will always remember Jon, the founder of this site who took a dream and made it grow, who walked with me during some of my darkest days here. Thank you Jon.
I would love to learn more about Jon. Is there a thread somewhere?

Happy Birthday SR! I am positive I would not be sober without you. I avoided the notion of recovery with the vigor of an alcoholic because I did not want to join AA. Through the wonderful members here I learned of other ways to recover and I am recovering! One year and counting
Old 09-18-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Pretty sure this site helped save my life. Thanks and congratulations on 11 years Sober Recovery!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

7 Happy 11th birthday SR...and many more!!

Words can not express my sincere gratitude to SR for helping me to change my life around. For that I will be forever grateful. Thank you all so much...for your support...for giving me hope...for believing in me. I am glad we are on this journey together.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A long time ago, on a planet far, far away called "California", I had a wonderful life. Then the economy started to go bad and I had to close down my business. Some funny pains in my chest turned out to be a terminal disease and on Christmas of 2004 my ex-wife left me for three other guys and a bottle of pain pills.

I ended up in a brand new town, living in an apartment behind the salvation army, with my head spinning _so_ fast. These wonderful peeps on SR kept me going. I reached out to them in a world of hurt and they reached back to a perfect stranger. They shared their deepest pain and while in the middle of their own life being a train-wreck they had time for me.

So I started over. Made new friends, found new meetings, got a new job that turned into a new career. Even stumbled into dating for the first time in 25 years. Whadya know, I managed to buy a little condo, fell in love with a charming young lady and was happy again.

Valentine's day of 2011 and the lovely lady left me for an addiction called anorexia. One week later the company I was working for closed up the shop and laid me off along with 200 other folk. My health had continued to deteriorate and I was feeling right back where I was in 2004, only sicker.

SR taught me never to give up, so I didn't. Packed up what I could, rented out my condo and moved all the way across the country for a new job. Last month I broke the world record for my "terminal" disease. Nobody has ever lived with this thing as long as I have. And guess who has been with me every single day? The peeps on SR.

So many days I have been too sick to go to a real life meeting, but there's always a meeting going on here. So many days I have been an emotional wreck and felt so, so alone. But there's always somebody here who is going thru far more hardships than me, and I can see how _they_ manage to make it one day at a time. If they can, well then so can I.

Here I go. Starting over again, again. Have a nice little apartment, going to lots of meetings, making new friends, found a new team of docs to keep this body going, got a simple little desk job I can handle. And hanging around SR to see how I can be of service.

As to the dating thing..... I don't know. Let's just say I'm a work in progress and I haven't made _that_ much progress yet

Thank you SR peeps, for showing me how to love life even when I had nothing left to love.

Mike
Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
A long time ago, on a planet far, far away called "California", I had a wonderful life. Then the economy started to go bad and I had to close down my business. Some funny pains in my chest turned out to be a terminal disease and on Christmas of 2004 my ex-wife left me for three other guys and a bottle of pain pills.

I ended up in a brand new town, living in an apartment behind the salvation army, with my head spinning _so_ fast. These wonderful peeps on SR kept me going. I reached out to them in a world of hurt and they reached back to a perfect stranger. They shared their deepest pain and while in the middle of their own life being a train-wreck they had time for me.

So I started over. Made new friends, found new meetings, got a new job that turned into a new career. Even stumbled into dating for the first time in 25 years. Whadya know, I managed to buy a little condo, fell in love with a charming young lady and was happy again.

Valentine's day of 2011 and the lovely lady left me for an addiction called anorexia. One week later the company I was working for closed up the shop and laid me off along with 200 other folk. My health had continued to deteriorate and I was feeling right back where I was in 2004, only sicker.

SR taught me never to give up, so I didn't. Packed up what I could, rented out my condo and moved all the way across the country for a new job. Last month I broke the world record for my "terminal" disease. Nobody has ever lived with this thing as long as I have. And guess who has been with me every single day? The peeps on SR.

So many days I have been too sick to go to a real life meeting, but there's always a meeting going on here. So many days I have been an emotional wreck and felt so, so alone. But there's always somebody here who is going thru far more hardships than me, and I can see how _they_ manage to make it one day at a time. If they can, well then so can I.

Here I go. Starting over again, again. Have a nice little apartment, going to lots of meetings, making new friends, found a new team of docs to keep this body going, got a simple little desk job I can handle. And hanging around SR to see how I can be of service.

As to the dating thing..... I don't know. Let's just say I'm a work in progress and I haven't made _that_ much progress yet

Thank you SR peeps, for showing me how to love life even when I had nothing left to love.

Mike
i love your attitude man.. worth repeating!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Happy Birthday, SR!

I've been here 3 years. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would not be sober w/o this place. I've said many times. SR is my AA.

Thank you.

I, too, would like to read more about Jon.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday SR, and thanks to everyone here! 7
Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Wink The hand of God

I am not sure if I can write as I have tears in my eyes from reading all the gratitude & love on many of these posts.

When I found SR I was already off of Heroin & alcohol but I was so depressed and felt so alone and unloved that I had already made a plan to end my life.

I came on here and the hand of God reached out to me through all of you. I have had a few bad days but never once did I think about ending it, because people like RZ and Sneezy, Hevyn, Fandy, Ann, Dee and so many others have given me the strength and unconditional love to keep on going.

I will forever in my heart be grateful to each and everyone one of you!

Thanks for helping me to see that its not so bad this thing called living.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday SR!!

I came here a broken woman and an alcoholic. Didn't have a friend in the world. I started my recovery Day1, on SR. Through all the wonderful caring people here...I gained strength to start my journey into sobriety. I would say, the wonderful people here at SR held my hand till I could walk on my own. How do you ever repay that? Through giving back! Helping the next newcomer who is broken and weak. Giving them the encouragement and love that was given to me. I will be forever grateful to SR and in my way ...extend my hand and teach the next person how to walk on their own, into Recovery.

Best Wishes and Happy Birthday SR!!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I didn't know what I was looking for when I found this sight in Feb. 2010...it was one of the lowest points of my life and i was weighing the odds of dying quickly or slowly as I drank more and more....I started reading and saw myself in so many others...and I saw that people were succeeding or even if they didn't they kept trying...this appealed to me and the fact that maybe I COULD stop??? and i got sober....I drank daily for 25 years (except when I was pregnant)..it slowly increased and took over my life. I think I may have lost everything if I didn't find SR.

my special friend Toronto68 doesn't post here much lately, but I am forever in his debt for holding my hand the first 2 weeks...and the 5 million private messages he put up with....the encouragement here is vital to me...thanks to everyone here who teaches me an awful lot whether posting or reading, agreeing or disagreeing. The last 19 months have been 100% better than the previous 2 years....even with the dips and slips.