pay his bills?

Old 09-29-2003, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

pay his bills?

My "a" is trying to clean up, finally. He wants me to pay his bills. He says he's working 12 hour days, which I think is exaggerated, and doesn't have time to deal with it. I don't get it. Everyone else has time to pay their bills. Why not him. Am I trying to control him by wanting him to pay the bills? Any advise?

ps...he is in KY working and I'm in FL.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is that paying them with HIS money or yours?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Exactly - if it's his money, then it depends on whether or not you feel like doing the extra work. If it's YOUR money, well then, no would appropriate...
Old 09-29-2003, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Itsjustme,

I am assuming that you are talking about his money, as he is working. Is he working 7 days a week? I have worked on construction jobs in the tool room before that were 12hrs a day,7days a week. i found it very difficult and if my husband had not been there to make sure that i had food I don't think I would have even found time to eat!

But still it is your call if you want to take on the responsibilities. Just saying he may feel like he could use the help. But you know not to do anything that you are going to resent. It's not your responsibility to pay them if you don't want to.

Blu-gal
Old 09-29-2003, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would lean towards no. If he has the capacity to do it himself (can he write a check and put a stamp on the envelope), then let him do just that. Just my opinion!
Old 10-01-2003, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Last night after he talked to our children, I spoke with him (this is after two days not talking). He sounds well and is counting his clean days. He even had to move because some of the other workers were smoking pot and he felt tempted. I think this is wonderful and a step in the right direction.

He mentioned joining the YMCA so he can fill his spare time with working out. I asked how would he find the time with working 12 hour days. I didn't want to start an argument so I didn't mention the bills. When he stated that he didn't want to DEAL with the bills, its not about the time it takes to pay them, it's the responsibility.

Last time he was gone, I was so sick. I worried myself into anxiety and I couldn't even function. I didn't pay a lot of the bills or I paid them late. So when he was home we split up the bills so I wouldn't have so much. His using was out of control, he was in an accident then he got caught double dipping doctors. This forced him to clean up. He was spending all his waking hours high and doesn't even remember paying the bills when he was here.

I just feel that everyone has time to pay their bills, why not him. I'm working on me. I've set up a calendar so I know when my bills are due and I'm working hard to make sure they are paid before they are due. That is challenge enough for me. I know how much money I need to make sure my bills are paid each month. I'm even working on a budget.

I mailed him three bills, the mortgage, his cell phone bill and his ambulance bill. I also sent him a daily thoughts book. I'm sure I'll hear about that one since he says he doesn't need AA or NA.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My new motto - "No Excuses" & "Just do it!!"
Old 10-01-2003, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's too much to ask a grown man to keep up with a few bills and pay them on time. If not now, when is he going to take responsibility?

Hugs,

Hangin' In
Old 10-01-2003, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good for you---I think you made a very good decision and for all the right reason.