Urine samples

Old 06-30-2003, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Urine samples

Hi Guy, Welcome to the site. I am just returning after a relapse. I read with intrest your answers to the questions concerning urine tests. I have just signed up for a program at the hospital that I work at. I signed a contract that I will adhere to the program that the VA and I set. I have also allowed them to talk to each other so it is sort of a joint program. I am also going to wear a beeper for 2 years so that I can be paged to do a urine sample. I know this sound like alot to some but, I need to have a program with a rigid structure. However, after reading your postings I am going to ask the doctor at the next test if I should avoid any foods. Funny, my wife told me yesterday about the poppy seeds. I have played with the program so I hope these road blocks will help me. My work is very supportive and wants me to succed. I have been in and out of the program since 1982. I have gone up to 5 years. What do you think of this program. I have agreed to attend 4 to 5 AA meetings per week, attend and aftercare group at the VA to deal with my Vietnam PTSD and the program above. Don W PS are your books available in book stores?
Old 06-30-2003, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GuyBlakeKett

Well, you sure sound determined. GOOD FOR YOU!

The only thing I'd add to your program is a lot of self-compassion and doing anything you can to cultivate and keep a sense of humor and find pleasure in your sober life. It isn't all regimentation. Enjoy being CONSCIOUS!

My books are available at bookstores, but the stock wanes & waxes -- you can certainly order FIRST YEAR SOBRIETY and SOBER & FREE if they don't have it. Hazelden's a good source for my sobriety series (FIRST YEAR-, SECOND YEAR- & THIRD YEAR SOBRIETY). HOW TO MAKE LOVE WHILE CONSCIOUS and various of my other titles are out of print but easily ordered through used & out-of-print book sources on the Internet. But keep it simple -- start with FIRST YEAR SOBRIETY, if you want. Thanks for asking about my books!

And keep up the good work. Just be kind to yourself, and have some fun.

Guy

Old 06-30-2003, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Guy, The VA said the same thing. They want me to have a balanced life. My wife and have been enjoying some of the free time not taken up by drinking. Also, I have taken up reading. I am 55 and never did much reading. I have been using some of the books my wife has read. This has also given us a chance to talk about the stories. Anyway, I agree with you that it is good to take the time to enjoy sobriety. I am going to continue to read your postings. Down the road I'll check out your books. I have to be carfull, in the past I over did things. Thanks again, Don
Old 06-30-2003, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Don,

Remember me, (Juls)? When I saw your name I had to read the post to see if that was you. I really enjoy seeing the people I started out with coming on the board.

It sounds like a tough program, but I'm proud of you for continuing to try and not just giving up and accepting being an alcoholic or addict.

I hope to hear more from you. If you ever want to chat just pm me o.k.?

Juls

P.S. Guy, are you books available at Amazon.com?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
GuyBlakeKett

hey Juls -- thanks for asking about my books. Yeah, you can get em at amazon.com or barnes&noble.com or (the first, second & third yr sobriety trilogy) at hazelden.org.

I'm so impressed by the support you guys give each other. It's that kind of checking in and helping each other that makes recovery happen.

have a conscious, happy day. Life is amazing, if you let it be.

Guy

Old 07-01-2003, 02:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Guy,

You are so right, life is incredibly amazing. Even more so when one is not addicted to something. There were several of us who started on the boards at around the same time. Don, myself, Clancy, and Cassy. I really enjoy when they check in.

I noticed that your in Amityville. I've read the book and watched the move, "The Amityville Horror." I'm always interested in things that are based on true stories. Have you heard talk of it there?

I know it's not recovery related, but I'm just curious. LOL

Juls
Old 07-01-2003, 02:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
GuyBlakeKett

Oh, everything is recovery-related! Actually the guy who murdered his family -- Ronnie DeFeo -- in Amityville was a heroin addict... (sigh). I went to h.s. with him. Basically I only remember seeing his name on the absentee list, poor soul...

Old 07-01-2003, 02:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Guy,

What about the part where they said that the house was built on top of an sacred Indian burial ground. That the family that bought the house after the guy that had murdered his family, basically fled in the middle of the night due to "supernatural" occurrences? Does that really have any basis in fact that you know of?

Juls
Old 07-01-2003, 03:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GuyBlakeKett

from what I understand, all that ghost stuff was pretty much hooey. Yeah, there were some Indian artefacts buried in the ground - but there are all over Long Island. Pretty much made up stuff.

see, you can talk about ANYTHING on this site! :-)

Old 07-01-2003, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Guy,

Your a pretty cool guy. Are you some sort of night owl, or a real early riser. LOL

Juls
Old 07-01-2003, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
GuyBlakeKett

actually I tend to keep farmer's hours -- go to bed at sundown, wake up at sunrise. Partly this is because I'm taking care of my mother who is dying, and I need to be on pretty close to 24/7 call. I'll tell you one thing, if I wasn't sober, I couldn't do any of this.

EVERYTHING's related to recovery, no? Every aspect of life.

Old 07-01-2003, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Juls, Of course I remember you. Yuo helped and are still helpping me hang in there. Many times I have used your suggestions to get through a ruff spot. In fact you, among the others helped make me decide to return to the boards. I agree, anything is related to recovery. That is one of the best parts of recovery I feel. Being able to share
our new life and intrests with others. I am mostly posting on alcohol and PTSD but, I check out others. Great to hear from you. Don
Old 07-05-2003, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Don,

Thanks. I'm usually hanging out on the Women's Recovery Board, but I like to check the other sites. Keep coming back now, ya hear? LOL

Juls