Notices

benzodiazepines non abuse addiction

Old 11-20-2021, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ca**ie

benzodiazepines non abuse addiction

So many of us, myself included have been on benzos for decades as prescribed by multiple doctors over the years. I never really felt comfortable with it, but every time I would reduce I would have negative symptoms. I didn't get the connection right away; doctors would say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" when questioning being on them. Eventually the attitude about benzos changes, like it did about opioids. Doctors are now wanting me off in 30 to 60 days. I tried and had dangerous painful awful withdrawals. I found a psychiatrist that was willing to help wean me off and it's going to take a long time. My question is this. I wish so much to have an in person support group. I admit, I have AA envy. They get to get together as many times a week and talk about recovery. I don't have any raw stories, as I never abused the medicine; I stuck to my script. But have they affected my life in a negative way? Oh god yes! Between interdose withdrawal, mood shifts, and the daily awareness of needing this drug it has taken it's toll. Getting off them means I experience waves and windows of moods. Sometimes harsh. I feel so lonely not being able to share this experience with others. So, I am wondering what us non abusing, addicted benzo users can do to find solace (in person).

Warm Regards

Carrie
Old 11-20-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carrie

I have no personal experience with benzoes but I did a quick look around.

This is a list that may interest you in some respects.
https://benzoreform.org/benzodiazepi...upport-groups/

as may this forum
Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Information, Help & Support

There may also be groups on places like FaceBook

If there's in person groups or a group solely for those who were prescribed benzoes you may find it, or find out information from some of the groups above?

D
Old 12-05-2021, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm 33 months off benzos Carrie, and it has been a brutal journey. Not all people take this long, but I did, that's for sure. I linked up with BenzoBuddies. A forum offering support and taper guidance. There's a few whacko's there, but that's true of anywhere.

It was helpful to have others tell me I was not going insane. Did not feel alone. Maybe give it a go?

Many people who use the site took the drug therapeutically. Some short term. Seems to make no difference on how they can effect some people. It's an evil drug in my view.

I'm continuing to improve Carrie. Just taken me a long time.

Please know that eventually you will heal/recover.

Big hugs 💜
Old 12-05-2021, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ca**ie

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I'm 33 months off benzos Carrie, and it has been a brutal journey. Not all people take this long, but I did, that's for sure. I linked up with BenzoBuddies. A forum offering support and taper guidance. There's a few whacko's there, but that's true of anywhere.

It was helpful to have others tell me I was not going insane. Did not feel alone. Maybe give it a go?

Many people who use the site took the drug therapeutically. Some short term. Seems to make no difference on how they can effect some people. It's an evil drug in my view.

I'm continuing to improve Carrie. Just taken me a long time.

Please know that eventually you will heal/recover.

Big hugs 💜
Thank you so much for you advice and sharing your personal experience. I agree, there is no way to tell how someone will respond to cessation of the drug. Most people seem to do ok. But you used the word "brutal" and in fact that is an accurate word for me and clearly your experience as well. Respect to you that you endured that. Damn! The worse thing that happened was physical changes in my heart that seem to be healing over time. I did find a Recovery Group that is completely outside the 12 step model and is in fact a Psychedelic Plant Medicine group. There are surprisingly many benzo folks there. I think I may have met my tribe.

Hugs back to you

Carrie
Old 12-10-2021, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Only just saw you reply Carrie. Still have memory problems. Improving as time goes by.

I'm glad you have found your tribe Carrie, the benzo road is a hard road to travel alone, that's for sure. People expect for us to be fully recovered in maybe a few weeks, but for some this is simply not the case. So many mental and physical challenges to face, but with time I've learned to accept, and let the healing take place. Time is key.

I'm not opposed to psychedelic medicine one bit, but for myself, I have taken nothing outside of good food and water. I was exercise intolerant for a really long time. Revved me up crazy. My heart beating out of my chest. Pain everywhere. Body and mind. Many mental and physical symptoms too arduous, possibly tedious, to present here, but often thought I was losing my mind. I think I did. But so long as I knew it was benzo withdrawal, not 'me', I was able to hold the line.

Never thought I would recover Carrie. But I am. And I am so very grateful.

This can be yours too, Carrie. Just keep holding the line. 🏂

Old 12-10-2021, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had my issues with benzos too. Steely, that is wonderful that you've been off so long!! I think, just from what I've been through and heard from nurses that benzos are one of the hardest things to get off of, brutal like you say! I used to check out Benzo Buddies a long time ago. Maybe I'll check them out again.
Carrie, wonderful that you found your tribe. I have no familiarity with it, but it sounds interesting. If whatever you are doing helps, then great. I just know benzos are so hard. I tend to get really bad panic attacks and I think I was 20 yo when a doctor first put me on them and I've struggled almost ever since. I wish I never even saw them or heard of them. I'm working with my doctor lowering the dosage, but very slowly.
It's good to know I'm not the only one who has struggled with these things, that someone else knows too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's OK Alysheba. I would offer a hand to anyone going through benzo withdrawal. And I hate a lot of people, haha. Brutal is the only word I can muster to describe what it can do to some of us.

I've thought sometimes that perhaps my previous (yay) use of alcohol might have made it worse for me (same receptors), but then see others with never a problem with alcohol, relative short term use, taking them therapeutically, suffer the same nightmare.

You are doing everything right in taking it slow Aly. Hold, if it becomes too difficult. It's not a race, just got to get to the destination. Benzo free.

You are not alone Aly. I get it in Spades.

All support to you Aly. And thanks for the congrats. 💞
Old 12-11-2021, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe you were talking to Carrie, Aly? Don't want to steal her thunder.

Matters little really. We're all in the benzo boat together. Let's scuttle it together.

Hi, Carrie. 💜
Old 12-12-2021, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, Steely!