Notices

Doctor stopping Alprazolam for Senior

Old 05-21-2021, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

Doctor stopping Alprazolam for Senior

Hi folks. I’m not new to Sober Recovery because of my alcohol addiction. However, I have a new reason to post on the Sober Recovery forum.

My doctor wants to discontinue my use of alprazolam, because she informs it is not recommended for folks over 65. I will be 72 in September and have been on this medication for 32 years. I have never exceeded my recommended dosage of .5 mg twice a day. She advises to begin a taper program immediately because she will not be renewing this prescription. She recommended Goli Ashwaghanda as a replacement. Incidentally, she informed me of this during a telemedicine appt and not an in person visit. I am an active senior and to my knowledge, am not exhibiting any physical or cognitive impairment- certainly not one she can discern over the phone.

I know my usage is relatively small in comparison to some, but my long term use is not. Im terrified and don’t know how to taper a med I’ve been on for 32 years.

Im starting to read the Ashton manual. Will that help?
Old 05-21-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rar

that’s a scary prospect and I have no experience to share but I wanted to wish you well

D
Old 05-21-2021, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Thanks Dee- I’m exceedingly gloomy, well depressed actually. 32 years is almost half my life.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rar, I'm sorry that your doctor made that decision suddenly. Did she give you any suggestions for how the taper should work or just leave it up to you?
Old 05-21-2021, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said it's scary and I'd normally suggest a second opinion but your doctor must have good reason to insist on this?

If you're still drinking from time to time, even if your Dr does not know that, to me that's another good reason for you to quit the benzoes?

D
Old 05-21-2021, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'll be 70 this summer and my doctor (a gerontologist) wants me to get off it cause he says it increases the risk of getting dementia. I've been on it for several years now, .25 mg two or three times a day. I too don't feel or notice any physical or cognitive impairment but suppose I'll have to come off it sooner or later. I got sober over 11 yrs ago, long before I started the alprazolam, so never ran that risk.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Yes Least, my doctor said it increases the risk of dementia, Alzheimer’s, falls, accidents, etc. She added that the tolerance for these meds is decreased in seniors. She also added that she couldn’t in good conscience continue to prescribe something when studies clearly show it is harmful to the elderly. I don’t have a plan and she didn’t give me one. Studies also show that discontinuing these meds in seniors can result in strokes, heart attacks and other impairments, so that’s not good either..

The reason for the telephone appt with my doctor was to renew the alprazolam prescription. She renewed the prescription, but I believe it will be my last and I THINK I’m supposed to taper with that refill.

I’ve been taking 1/2 pill these last 3 nights and not sleeping well. Yesterday I found myself drinking more than usual so I could sleep. In that regard, I think my plan should be to quit the alcohol again first and then to quit the alprazolam, since I may need the alprazolam to quit the alcohol. 🤔
Old 05-22-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would seek a second opinion. Seek out a doctor who is 'benzowise'. I withdrew from Valium 26 months ago and it was terrible. I really don't want to scare you but it was the truth for me, and many other people. That said, some people do not experience terrible withdrawals.

Reading the Ashton Manuel will help and there are sites you can access to help you further.

Though your dosage was low, the duration long.

Medicine is now coming to see the problems problems associated with benzos and people are being pulled off without a lot of foresight.

I'm glad I stopped tho. It's been along hard battle.

Wishing you all of the very best. 🌺

Old 06-01-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

I tried to half the benzo dosage and it didn’t go well. I was a wreck and increased my drinking to make me feel better. Anyway, last night I retuned to my prescribed dose and was alcohol free yesterday. I joined the June class and today is Day 2..

As far as the benzos, I just don’t know. Even if I do a slow taper, the underlying problem still remains. Thankfully my benzo dose is low (.5 alprazolam), but the usage long. Ive read horrifying tales of abrupt benzo discontinuation and the mere thought of it is terrifying and causes great anxiety.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rar, first off - good to "see" you.

Second, I'm really sad to hear you've been still drinking after all this time.

I took alprazolam for years too; while I was drinking. My prescribed dose was also 0.5 twice a day and I didn't abuse it, just like you.

I stopped taking it without a prescribed taper schedule, while I was still drinking. I "kept back" 10 pills to use as absolutely needed, but I never took them. I was fine. . . but I was drinking. My ongoing plan was to get off all my meds. I was on so many of them. And drinking.

I got off all my meds, then I quit drinking. I weaned off the alcohol over three days. The whole process of getting off all my meds AND quitting drinking took a month. I should have probably sought medical advice but I didn't know any better.

I've been med-free and sober since 2014.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Thanks Bimini. Nice to hear from you. I’m happy to see my friends here. My alprazolam was such a part of my life, I never thought to discontinue it. My doctors refilled my prescriptions at 30 day interviews. I even saw a doctor who suggested ‘alcohol use disorder’ as a diagnosis. I have a prior post about a liver function test. Anyway, he still prescribed the alprazolam, as did a former doctor.

it was only after I moved to Florida and obtained a new primary that this came into question. However, the new primary even renewed the script on several occasions. I’ve never abused it or asked for a dosage increase. I think it occurred to her how old I was and she began to question the prudence of keeping an elderly person on this medication. Who knows?

I see the writing on the wall, I have an appointment in July, so I’m sure the topic will come up where I’ll hopefully be prescribed a taper schedule with a longer acting drug. By my appointment I will be 45 days alcohol free.

Edited to add that I’m also on Pramipexole for Restless Leg Syndrome. The restless legs are particularly horrendous I when I’m stressed or anxious.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ca**ie

Hi there, I just logged on and in my search for Benzodiazepines and I saw your post. I see exactly what you are saying and Primary doctors removing long term users started a couple years back. First it was shutting down use of Opioid pain killers and that movement started including Benzos. My story is similar to yours. I am 65 years old and I have been taking a small prescribed dose of Ativan for 30 years. All those decades it was accepted and seen as helpful by the medical world. When I wanted to get off of them 10 years ago, I was met with an attitude of, "If it a'int broke, don't fix it". But now it's the opposite. What was considered a small dose, "don't worry about it" is now a large dose and I am being treated like an addict in some ways. Doctors acting like or thinking they are experts when they are not, really messes with one's sense of self. I tell you this, because you and me and folks like us are caught up in a weird moment in time, where doctors are being told not to prescribe Benzos PLUS they are being tracked for overuse of prescriptions. And they are correct, but pulling a script after decades of overprescribing is not the answer to the huge problem. And, they don't have any training on how to get long term people off of the drug. They are not aware of the Ashton Manual. Even the Ashton manual needs an updating, as the time to wean can take some folks a year or more. The cost of weaning too fast is too high and is much more risky than staying on and weaning very very slowly. Your doctor is wrong. Simple as that. The more you understand how wrong your doctor is, the more power and agency you will have over your weaning experience. In the end I found myself an Alternative Psychiatrist. He is a Psychiatrist and a Neurologist. Even he thought I could get off the meds in two months. But after he saw my serious withdrawal symptoms he has learned. Now we work on my taper together. I taper very slow and very steady with no sense of urgency. It's such a relief to have him but scares me if he becomes unavailable. Please feel free to ask me for any links to groups that can help if you still need information.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Carrie- I was glad to see your message, but also sad that you too are in this predicament.

my intent was to follow my doctor’s tapering schedule, but I had to change it already after a couple of days. I am prescribed alprazolam .5 mg twice a day. I have .5 tablets. Since they are difficult to split without crumbs and powder, my doctor prescribed .25 mg tablets which is useful for smaller cuts. My doctor wants me to turn my .5 mg pills in to the pharmacist or throw them away to prevent temptation.

I read the Ashton Manual and asked my doctor for a Valium taper, but she ignored my request and said it would being on other issues.

I have reduced from my usual .75 mg per day to .6875 and I’m having a tough time. I’m too old for this.

I wish you continued success with your taper. 🥰
Old 08-13-2021, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rar, how are you doing? So sorry to hear of the push to get off them - my understanding is the taper has to be really slow.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope you are doing ok Rar.