Notices

I didn't realize I have a problem?

Old 08-22-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I didn't realize I have a problem?

I have been on and off an SSRI for thirteen years but on now for a solid 3 years along with .5 xanex first only as needed and now prescribed twice a day. As I slide into alcoholism the xanex went from one a day some days to one or two most days I think combating the anxiety each day when there was a lack of alcohol?

I went off everything by tapering four years ago using a small amount of thc and some herbs but my use in all three areas was not at the level I am now. I've never taken more than prescribed on xanex. Can you be "sober" and still take Xanex as prescribed or a lesser amount?

Did anyone find this made their abstinence from Alcohol long term after detox from alcohol worse?

Old 08-22-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with benzoes but I know a lot of people have had trouble with them - particularly in withdrawing from them.

I think prescribed drugs are usually between you and your doctor, but that's assuming you were honest about your alcohol addiction and consumption with your doctor.

D
Old 08-22-2020, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by viabeautywithin View Post
Can you be "sober" and still take Xanex as prescribed or a lesser amount?
That's not for anyone to answer but you.

I've taken Xanax on and off for years. I've also taken Klonopin. Both are Benzos, both are easy to become addicted to, and both are nightmares to withdrawal from. And one of the worst drug cocktails on the planet is a benzo with a drink. Drinking while taking Benzos is flirting with death.

PS. I'm not a doctor. I've just been there done that.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LumenandNyx View Post
That's not for anyone to answer but you.

I've taken Xanax on and off for years. I've also taken Klonopin. Both are Benzos, both are easy to become addicted to, and both are nightmares to withdrawal from. And one of the worst drug cocktails on the planet is a benzo with a drink. Drinking while taking Benzos is flirting with death.

PS. I'm not a doctor. I've just been there done that.
I've flirted with death for years then, i'm sure there was still alcohol in my system when taking the prescribed doses. Did you ever have a scary side effect?
Old 08-22-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by viabeautywithin View Post
I've flirted with death for years then, i'm sure there was still alcohol in my system when taking the prescribed doses. Did you ever have a scary side effect?
Yes. I went through withdrawal from alcohol and Xanax at the same time, which caused seizures. I also did things I don't remember that I was mortified to find out about later. .I'm talking about crazy sh1t I wouldn't even THINK about doing sober.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, not honest with anyone about the actual extent of the drinking. I believe my new husband knows but not possibly how bad. He is never condemning and has offered nothing but support. Thank you for your message
Old 08-22-2020, 11:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important to be honest with everyone - I know that is a big ask but for me it was a major part of staying sober and clean.

D
Old 10-26-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take Klonopin for my anxiety and definitely consider myself sober. I don't abuse it and take it as prescribed. For some of us, the risk of dependence has to be taken. I take a benzo, an ssri antidepressant, and a beta blocker daily, and prior to finding this combination with my mental health team I had panic so bad I sometimes couldn't leave my house for days at a time. I've been fighting my anxiety since I was 12 (I'm 39 now) and it's a massive part of why alcohol became such a problem for me.

I think the better question is, can you take anything that could be addictive and still be sober? I drink caffeine daily, i smoked marijanna on my birthday, both are addictive. I'm not addicted to marijanna. I am addicted to caffeine, but it won't lead to me losing my job or dying. I'm an alcoholic, that's where my focus is. As long as I don't drink, or abuse something else that is harmful, I consider myself sober.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I closely relate to this, thank you for your post! I have self medicated to my own detriment for a very long time. It is time to see a psychiatrist. I can also see how alcohol made all symptoms worse even during the very temporary and fleeting relief alcohol "provided". I wonder how many of us don't seek help because of the stigma that still exists. I am in a constant custody tug of war and risk this being brought into court if I go...
Old 01-05-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Benzodiazepine withdrawal is the nightmare that hasn't even been made into a Horror movie yet.

It's been nearly 2 years off the evil poison. Valium, pretty much as prescribed. I'm still not fully recovered. PAWS is real.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

I was mixing a comparatively low dose of alprazolam (.05 mg) with alcohol on a regular basis. I took the alprazolam at night before bed, but after drinking. I didn’t notice any enhanced effects and naively believed the only harm coming to me was from the alcohol, since the alprazolam was prescribed and the dose was small.

Well, fast forward to now. I will begin tapering my alprazolam next month and have now stopped drinking. It’s Day 12 and the anxiety is horrible. Just saying.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My last post though true was a bit of a freak out. PAWS benzos is a freak out tho.

I'd be cautious about taking Xanax with alcohol. It's easy to make a mistake. Consider the benzo irrespective of dosage or duration. It matters little when it comes to benzos.

I was using what would be a described as a therapeutic dose of Valium, and am still feeling what remains of the aftermath. Not everyone's experience, but it can be.

And have never regretted stopping.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck. It is a terrible drug to withdraw from. Stevie Nicks said she almost died coming off Klonopin. I believe it. One nurse I had in a detox ward once, told me she thought benzos were one of the hardest drugs to come off of, in her experience.
I wish everyone well trying to taper off benzos. Take your time.