SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Benzo (benzodiazepines) Addiction (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/benzo-benzodiazepines-addiction/)
-   -   question about taper (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/benzo-benzodiazepines-addiction/442957-question-about-taper.html)

izzy1962 10-25-2019 01:46 PM

question about taper

I just stopped my Librium taper. My question is, how long until the funk/fog wears off? 25mg 4 times the first two days, 3 the next, followed by two and 1 the final day. Shakes and anxiety stopped early yesterday, so I stopped taking them (two doses short). Slept like a baby, no sweats or anxiety.

I dont feel confident driving but I will meed to drive Sunday. Any suggestions? Im on sober day 5.

zerothehero 10-28-2019 06:36 AM

Can't really answer your questions. It depends how long you were using, size of dose, your particular situation. Funk/fog can last days, weeks, longer.

I'm hoping you tapered with a doctor's supervision. Benzo detox is serious.

izzy1962 10-28-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by zerothehero (Post 7298436)
Can't really answer your questions. It depends how long you were using, size of dose, your particular situation. Funk/fog can last days, weeks, longer.

I'm hoping you tapered with a doctor's supervision. Benzo detox is serious.

Yep. Dr supervised and I flushed the remainder when done :)

Alysheba 11-21-2019 04:10 PM

Sounds like your doc is not particularly knowledgeable about benzos. Sounds to me, only my VAST opinion on these drugs, Dr Doc tapered you off too quickly. Why don't you call this "doctor" and tell him he tapered you off to quickly and you feel like hell. Put it back on him. It's probably his fault. These doctors have GOT to develop some smarts dealing with him/her. If you don't like what he says, go to a different one. I, for one, do not take ANY doctors word at face value. I research everything.
Best of luck to you.

Steely 01-06-2020 07:43 PM

Stopped low dose Valium 10 months ago. Long taper. It has been hell, and I'm still not fully recovered.

For me these things are pure evil.

Alysheba 01-09-2020 01:38 PM

Best to you, Steely. In my eyes, that is a tremendous accomplishment and you can attest to going off these things is no cake walk.
Well done. :hug:

Jaxis 01-28-2020 02:58 AM

I've never taken it. But I did take klonopin 3 mg taper too me ten months to get all the way off it. I tryed cold turkey but I had a panic attack a week or two later from the withdrawal. Your doing great keep it up. I have zero anxiety now the klonopin made it worse. I never abused it but benzos are so addictive I'll never take one again.

Alysheba 01-28-2020 10:26 AM

bump^^^^

Saskia 03-29-2020 02:15 AM

I was on benzos for many years (over 30) due to PTSD. After much therapy, with my p-docs help I tapered very, very slowly. It took me close to a year.

There are specific protocols for how to taper and they are different for each different benzo. Some are very long acting, others shorter and that affects the taper time. I noticed the taper but was never very uncomfortable. The doc periodically reduced the dose until we had to special order a very tiny dose for me to fully taper off. It has been over 5 years since I finished the taper.

I still have a small quantity of a very low dose that I take once or twice a year when I get panicked and am extremely careful not to get hooked again. I am very grateful to an excellent doc!

I知 not saying that is the answer for everyone but it did work for me.

Alysheba 03-29-2020 10:20 AM

Saskia, congratulations!! Sounds like you were very lucky to get a doctor who understood the perils of withdrawing and understood the drugs.
Very uplifting post. Thank you.

Rar 05-21-2021 03:39 PM

I知 on a comparatively small dose of alprazolam for anxiety and have been for 32 years. My doctor said she will not be renewing this medicine because it is dangerous for folks over 65 and is recommending I begin to taper. I値l be 72. I知 on .5 mg twice a day. I have never abused or exceeded this dosage. Im an active senior and to my knowledge have no physical or cognitive impairments. How do I taper a .5 mg dose that I致e used for 32 years. I知 beside myself. Clearly my doctor isn稚 understanding my situation.