Am I allowed to say/do this ?

Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I allowed to say/do this ?

I am unsure whether or not I should say this here but I feel that I should so here goes.

I have, for the first time in quite a while, been out with some friends and had a few beers.

Why am I afraid of this ??

I have enjoyed myself and yes I am a little drunk.

Over the course of my life with my wife I have become actually very afraid of enjoying myself in this way.

The fact is that I do not drink other than on a social occasion but when I do, within reason, I enjoy it.

I have had some real fun tonight but I do not believe that it is because of the alcohol. I believe it's because I let go for a while. But, if I am honest, the beer helped/worked.

I am genuinely sorry if this is the wrong thing to do or say but I just cannot accept thatI should not have a drink and have some fun just because my wife has a problem.

This is very difficult to talk about because I feel so guilty. Is this normal ??

Basically I feel that I refuse to be blighted. It's not my issue and I am fed up to the back teeth with being drawn into it.

I am NOT an alcoholic or any other form addict. Sorry but there it is.

Pete
Old 08-02-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

The choice is your choice to make.

Just remember that alcohol can be progressive and for many it can take over before we know it.

If you don't have a problem then there is no problem.

Learning to let go without the alcohol, I have found that I can have just as much fun sober. Still the choice is for you and you alone to make.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All depends. Did your kids see you drunk? Might confuse and/or scare them.

You're a grown up, Pete, and you know what you can and can't handle.

How's everything else going?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't feel guilty CBPete...you did nothing wrong.....
Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Even though I'm not an alcoholic, I can't drink without feeling guilty.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Hi Pete and I don't think I've ever officially welcomed you to SR--- so a belated welcome!! Sure, you can say it on this forum and just about anything else that concerns you. I'm a social drinker as well and I refuse to feel guilty b/c my now XAH had/has a problem. Since I've been living on my own, I've had a bottle of wine on my counter and enjoy a drink every once in awhile. It's a relief that I can now do this without worrying if XAH will drink it or think that he can get plowed b/c I drink 1 glass. Don't beat yourself up over it hon.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pete - I am guessing you'll get some very different views on this topic. I too am a social drinker, although I dislike the term. My pattern of drinking has changed, though, since being involved with a drinker. I had my time of heavy partying as a student and I am quite shocked by my behaviour back then. I grew out of that and became pretty moderate in my habits with the odd blow-out every now and again. When I was with my ex, my drinking escalated as I joined him in the public drinking to maintain our mutual denial. Now, I drink a few times a week, rarely get inebriated and seem to have a better grip on my limits. That's not to say that I never have one over the odds, however I am perfectly comfortable with my motives.

I have no idea what I would do if I was still involved with an active drinker and I agree with denny about the kids. It might be difficult for them to differentiate between what YOU do and what your wife does.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,

Well, woke up this morning without a hangover but a tad tired from being up rather late !!!

Re the point on the kids, I am very fortunate in that my kids appear to clearly understand the difference between my wife's situation and my have a drink now and then.

This is something we have talked very openly about and they have articulated their understanding well enough for me to believe that it is real.

I think this is an important thing for them actually.

To see "normality" in this situation is not a bad thing. At least this will help them to grow properly and with a sense of proportion etc. that will enable them to enjoy their own adult lives without feeling guilt or real fear every time they think of having a drink with friends etc.

Just my oppinion.

Pete
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by megamysterioso
I've had a bottle of wine on my counter and enjoy a drink every once in awhile. It's a relief that I can now do this without worrying if XAH will drink it or think that he can get plowed b/c I drink 1 glass. Don't beat yourself up over it hon.
I like to have a drink once in a while, but with AH around, I was always afraid to open a bottl of wine, because he would pour himself a huge glass ( if he was out of beer) and I even walked in on him chugging out of the bottle one time.

I would like to be able to have a glass of wine without worrying about what he will do.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a question?? Are you able to take the childern for an outing and relax and enjoy without a drink?? Are you able to go with friends to do things and be able to relax and enjoy without wishing for a drink??

Guess I am kinda hearing that the drink might be too important to you??

You could feel guilty just because you went without family. Makes us feel selfess.
I get the feeling you are wondering about yourself??

Do you by chance have alcoholic relatives?? and how many?? We tend to pick up the gene even from way back.

If I am way off base here, please forgive me.

I am happy if anyone can be a social drinker.

I was a high bottom drunk. (Binge drinker)That was hard to understand, but I had blackouts etc.
My thing was, if I drank the 3rd drink I would drink as long as my body could or would go, all night or 2 days. Also did the alcoholic insanity things.

I flirted with and danced with people I did not want to encourage in the lest, etc.
I never craved until the 3rd drink. Many start craving even with useing mouthwash, or seeing a bottle or the smell of a drink. For them it is the first taste.

Keep us posted. You seem open minded.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Pete -

Everyone on this forum has asked themselves the same question...

I for one am a social drinker too..But for me that means 1 glass of wine or 1 drink before I get tipsy...

I drank alot when I was with my exabf..enjoyed most of it but my drinking slowed down because of all the fights he and I got in..I just felt I could better handle my actions if I didn't argue with him while drunk..

Then I got into Alanon and started going to open AA meetings..my drinking pretty much stopped..lost the taste for it...

Today I enjoy a glass of wine or two...I mainly don't drink much because I"m trying to lose weight and it's empty calories to me..I'd rather have chocolate...
Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When my AH were first seriously dating and until about a year into our marriage, I attempted to keep up with his "partying." Every single time I got sick as a dog. My body cannot tolerate the level of alcohol it takes to get me intoxicated. I was looking at a picture of myself the other day that was taken a few months after we got engaged. I had toothpicks for legs - I was skinny and loved being able to fit into small sizes (great variety of clothing to pick from at the store). Then I realized - I was malnourished. I was living on cigarettes, booze, and a small meal here and there (not to mention junk food).

Yuck - slender but stinky!!! I no longer smoke, drink moderately, and took a serious look at my drinking habits. I enjoy a good glass of wine with dinner, but have no desire to return to my previous lifestyle.

I think we all need to step back and determine for ourselves whether or not we feel we have a problem. I think many of us codies drink along with the addict in our life in order to feel accepted. Jeesh, now if that isn't dysfunctional I don't know what is .... trying to win an addict's acceptance!