Notices

Recovery ?? ME ??

Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery ?? ME ??

In the space of a couple of days since finding this palce, I have learnt a hell of a lot.

However, I think the biggest thing is the fact that I need to recover.

I have genuinely, NEVER thought of things this way.

As far as I have been concerned, I have simply had a couple of bad experiences through my wife and brother and you just get on with it. My view has always been that when it's over I can just get on.

However, I now realise that it isn;t that simple and that I have to face up certain things before I can really move forward and truly help the others in my family.

My wife's and my brother's alcoholism have hurt me badly and changed who I am. Some of it not being nice.

I now intend to look, see and do something about this as I want to shed the damage and be a happy good person for ME, my friends and family and NOT someone blighted by a shadow that is NOT MINE !! If this means counselling for me then I will no longer avoid it.

For those of you out there like me, sometimes it's not all about the first step for the addict. Sometimes it's about the first step for the friends and family.

After all, maybe if we are not careful and do not ACT when we can and should we can become addicts ourselves. Not to Alcohol or drugs but to the other addict or the situation itself ??

Maybe I'm stating something many people already know but it's a new thought for me.

Thank you to all who have so quickly helped.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome to SR.

Glad you found us and are ready to take the steps to resolve your conflicts so that you can have a rewarding and fulfilling life.

Peace, Levi
Old 08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad this site was an eye opener.

good luck on your journey
mertyl
Old 08-02-2006, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi CB

Glad you found us, don't worry about being redundant, after all we are all here for sorta the same reason, and some of our stories are scary reruns of each others. Just join in.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
REZ

The most important lesson I learned is that I need help to recover. I found it in NA/AA. These meetings saved my life. SR is a useful forum, but it is no substitute, in my opinion, for real, flesh and blood people.