as I wallow in my self-pity...suddenly

Old 07-31-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

as I wallow in my self-pity...suddenly

As I wallow in my self-pity after a rough weekend my eyes are opened to see another in a worse situation than mine. I reach out to her, suddenly I don't feel so bad. Maybe it's my co-dependent personality. Maybe it's that I have a good heart. Maybe it's because I KNOW what she is going through. But as I reach out to her I step back from my own pain, temporarily, and when I look at it again I look at it with different eyes. I have every right to be angry. I have every right to be hurt. (over the weekend incident and life with the alcoholic) But by holding on to it so tightly, I guess I keep my mind in a jumble. How far I have come since the days before Alanon (I have got to get back into meetings and daily study) I am gonna pick myself up, crawl out from under my rock, and dance on the mountaintop or atleast try to make it through the rest of the day in serentiy and leave yesterday to yesterday. What would happen if I threw a pity party and the guest of honor (me) never showed up? Think I will try this next time.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

12th step work (reaching out and helping others) is one of the ways we get to keep our own recovery.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Starr)))
Old 07-31-2006, 11:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good plan Star..
Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by Starr
As I wallow in my self-pity after a rough weekend my eyes are opened to see another in a worse situation than mine. I reach out to her, suddenly I don't feel so bad.
This reminds me of what the late Dana Reeves (wife of the late Christopher Reeves) once said...I know I'm not quoting her literally, but the gist of it was, "the best thing you can do for yourself when you're in a great deal of pain, is to reach out and help someone else who is also in pain. It helps the other person, and, it helps you as well". Again, not the literal quote, but close enough.

Good going Starr! You inspire me!!