Notices

Today is my 4th day attempting to go sober.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is my 4th day attempting to go sober.

Greetings all,
First off, I am truly glad to have found these forums and the wonderfull people here. I am an alcoholic(very first time to admit this), with a penchant for beer drinking. I started out with the occasional six pack throughout the week during my early 20's. Now in my mid thirties, I'd average about 11 beers per night 7 days a week.

In the past I have attempted to drasticly reduce my drinking to only on weekends, but soon find that I go back to my old routine. I'm an anxiety sufferer and the booze always gurantees me a good night sleep. I never think about drinking while at work, but a few short hours after arriving home, I would always relish that beer wind down time, where the alcohol would allow me to forget all of my fears, worries & hangups etc..

A few short days ago, I decided that I want out of alcohol dependency and I don't want to fool myself into believing that I can do it in moderation. So, I have been sober for 4 days.

I'm discovering a lot of wierd and wonderfull things about myself and my addiction. From a physical standpoint, I notice that I don't have any servere withdrawl symptoms, but I do notice that I don't sleep as well and fall asleep really really late.

From a mental standpoint, I find myself a tad depressed, as I miss the alcohol like an old friend. Also, I'm finding that I have to fill the former drink time, with new activities. Yes....... the days now seem really really long. lol!

I can't say that I know for a fact what's ahead for me down the road, but I am going to try my hardest to beat this beast.

In all honesty......... I never knew that admitting that I'm an alcoholic, would feel so empowering. For so many years, I have attempted to cover it up.

Cheers!
summer breeze
Old 07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, (Summer Breeze), to SR. Glad you found us. Stick around!

As always, I suggest AA. You will find like-minded people, trying to do what you're trying to do, one day at a time. And don't drink, no matter what.

I've been sober over 17 1/2 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome, hector. It means a whole lot to me at this point in time . You're right....... we are all in this together!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad that you have decided to take on this wonderful journey called sobriety. It is truly a better way to live.

After a while, the sleep will even out and will get better. It is great that you are finding new activities to fill that time. That is so important! Be careful for boredom. I know that can be a trigger for some.

Maybe some of your anxiety will disappear now that you aren't drinking. I know that for me, alcohol increases my anxiety levels. Not fun at all.

I'm glad that you are here! Keep reaching out and remember that we are here to help!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Congratulations on your new found sobriety. You are wise in staying busy and realizing that moderation is usually a futile attempt at best. I'm glad you are here. Prepare yourself for the really tough days. They will appear, but you can get past them. It will get easier in the long run. Sobriety is a blessing...
Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great to see a new member! Welcome to your new life!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had problems with anxiety and depression, but found alcohol was the wrong way to treat it. First of all, it's a depressant, so it takes you the wrong way. Second of all, it messes with your nervous system, though you're more likely to notice the effects when you're detoxing, which you'll do if you sleep. It might get you to sleep, but it messes with your sleep rhythm, so quality and length of sleep isn't so good. It takes a while to sort out which of the problems are due to alcohol and which are things you'll need to work on, but hey, it's one day at a time. If it ever seems too hard and you might as well drink, put it off until tomorrow. Shoot for 90 days and take stock then.

Welcome!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by summer breeze
From a mental standpoint, I find myself a tad depressed, as I miss the alcohol like an old friend.
HIYA SUMMER BREEZE

You sound like you have an open, strong and positive attitude towards staying sober so well done for that.

I completely know what you're saying about missing it like it was an old friend. I was on meth (nearly 5 months clean) and yes you're right, you feel saddened because such a big part of your life seems to be missing - BUT I have come to learn that, that is just the drug talking. My life is so much better, so much happier and so much more interesing and wonderful now that I am clean, I see more, I feel more, I LIVE more!

We just have to stick at it and try the best we can and please remember that you are not alone - this is not a battle you have tofight by yourself - so if ever it gets too much for you just come and type away on SR (thats what I do) and there is always someone here to listen and just be a friend!!!

Good luck on your recovery, congratulations on making that first big step!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by summer breeze
Greetings all,
First off, I am truly glad to have found these forums and the wonderfull people here. I am an alcoholic(very first time to admit this), with a penchant for beer drinking. I started out with the occasional six pack throughout the week during my early 20's. Now in my mid thirties, I'd average about 11 beers per night 7 days a week.

In the past I have attempted to drasticly reduce my drinking to only on weekends, but soon find that I go back to my old routine. I'm an anxiety sufferer and the booze always gurantees me a good night sleep. I never think about drinking while at work, but a few short hours after arriving home, I would always relish that beer wind down time, where the alcohol would allow me to forget all of my fears, worries & hangups etc..

A few short days ago, I decided that I want out of alcohol dependency and I don't want to fool myself into believing that I can do it in moderation. So, I have been sober for 4 days.

I'm discovering a lot of wierd and wonderfull things about myself and my addiction. From a physical standpoint, I notice that I don't have any servere withdrawl symptoms, but I do notice that I don't sleep as well and fall asleep really really late.

From a mental standpoint, I find myself a tad depressed, as I miss the alcohol like an old friend. Also, I'm finding that I have to fill the former drink time, with new activities. Yes....... the days now seem really really long. lol!

I can't say that I know for a fact what's ahead for me down the road, but I am going to try my hardest to beat this beast.

In all honesty......... I never knew that admitting that I'm an alcoholic, would feel so empowering. For so many years, I have attempted to cover it up.

Cheers!
summer breeze
Go for it my friend.

You have such a fantastic opportunity to get this thing beaten before it takes you completely.

My wife used to say the same things - "Nothing wrong with a glass or two of wine in the evening" or "Hey, I don't drink all day do I ?". etc. etc.

The fact is that the addiciton is insidious. It seems to creep up on all involved, addicts and their families, until one day "BANG" it's there and full on.

The fact that you are facing this relatively early shows intelligence, pride and courage.

BEAT IT NOW because later, it will be soooooo much harder for you and your family and friends to escape the devastation and pain.

NOW is the time to talk and perhaps get some counselling or go to an AA meeting. There is so much help out there if you are prepared to go get it (unless you are English in Spain of course HAHAHA !!).

Don't be ashamed. You really are not alone and you could be such a shining light for others as well.

Look around here and read some of the posts. They will help.

Post a message on how you are doing every day or as many times a day as you need to. It will help and others will help you.

I'll keep an eye out for you pal.

Be strong.
Pete
Old 07-31-2006, 02:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Summer Breeze,

This is my second day attempting to get sober off of pills (It's all the same; right?)

I also have had alcohol problems since I was 14 (I almost died from alcohol poisining); I am 32 now. I have been in detox many times.

You say you have to fill your time with something else. Me too. It's hard; if you ever need someone to talk to PM me. We are all in this together...
Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Summer Breeze...I love your user name, it's full of inspiration. Welcome to SR ....so happy you've found us and chosing sobriety.

Hi Liz....Welcome to SR

Wishing you both the best in your journey to sobriety. Oh what a gift to give yourselves, LIFE
Old 07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Summer!!!
Congrats on the first 4 days!
Cheers
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Today is my 7th day sober. Mine was more wine...and hard liquor. I'm exhausted at times during the day but still have trouble going to bed and going to sleep. But I am doing something really important and so are you!

Good to meet you sista!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Reason to believe

Hi

Hi there,

I know just how it is, as do we all here. My only advice would be to start at a meeting, whether it be at AA or wherever. BUT, and a big but, don't be dissillusioned if that meeting(s) is not right for you..seek out different therapies, BE open minded, take what you can from each one, go to a therapist about underlying issues, read a cross-section of information, books etc and the knowledge you need will come. Have faith in yourself that you can solve your problems however hard. I just had a setback... I fell of the wagon, oh well...at least I had the KNOWLEDGE to climb back up the ladder and I'll be free again as i was for 4 and a half years. It is possible - I know that and I feel good that the culmination of years of reading, therapy, even anti-depressants (necessary in my case) all helped me back on the trail.

Laters,

and best wishes 2 U
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

Summer Breeze -- Congrats on four days!! You've gotten through the hardest part -- admitting you have a problem with alcohol. The rest is an adventure -- a roller coaster at times, but as Carol said, Welcome to your New Life!! Keep posting and reading here -- there is so much love and support.

Sazzer
Old 07-31-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Summer Breeze!! Beer addict here to. Did the EXACT same thing starting with a 6 pack...then on up from there. Could slam a 12 pack in just maybe 2 hours! I'm on day 7 so I'm new at all of this to. These people have been wonderful though, and listen to what they have to say...they know their stuff!!
You have found a good safe place, the cool thing is we all can RELATE to eachother. You've taken the first steps just as I and many others, so we will get through this together! WELCOME glad you are here!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ngokpa
I've had problems with anxiety and depression, but found alcohol was the wrong way to treat it. First of all, it's a depressant, so it takes you the wrong way. Second of all, it messes with your nervous system, though you're more likely to notice the effects when you're detoxing, which you'll do if you sleep. It might get you to sleep, but it messes with your sleep rhythm, so quality and length of sleep isn't so good. It takes a while to sort out which of the problems are due to alcohol and which are things you'll need to work on, but hey, it's one day at a time. If it ever seems too hard and you might as well drink, put it off until tomorrow. Shoot for 90 days and take stock then.

Welcome!
Thanks for the sound advice......... it makes a lot of sense to me, because after a typical bout of drinking, i'd surely fall asleep and get in excess of 7 to 8 hours sleep, yet would wake feeling no better than I now do sober( with less sleeping hours).

cheers
summer breeze
Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizrox
Hi Summer Breeze,

This is my second day attempting to get sober off of pills (It's all the same; right?)

I also have had alcohol problems since I was 14 (I almost died from alcohol poisining); I am 32 now. I have been in detox many times.

You say you have to fill your time with something else. Me too. It's hard; if you ever need someone to talk to PM me. We are all in this together...
Hi lizrocks! Yes....... you're indeed correct, it is all one in the same, really! I sincerely hope that your sober days turn into sober months, years and decades. If we follow our hearts and use our heads, we can do this........

cheers!
summer breeze
Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turkey
Summer Breeze!! Beer addict here to. Did the EXACT same thing starting with a 6 pack...then on up from there. Could slam a 12 pack in just maybe 2 hours! I'm on day 7 so I'm new at all of this to. These people have been wonderful though, and listen to what they have to say...they know their stuff!!
You have found a good safe place, the cool thing is we all can RELATE to eachother. You've taken the first steps just as I and many others, so we will get through this together! WELCOME glad you are here!
Hello turkey! Thanks a mil for the welcome......... Yes, I agree...... haven't been here long, but the people here are indeed wonderfull. I'd agree that it really really helps having others to relate to one's situation; This is so often missing in our everyday lives...

cheers and great to meet you!
summer breeze
Old 07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OH, I also meant to tell you. I have anxiety/panic attacks. It took me getting sober to find out that I didn't panic or get nearly as anxious if I didn't have alcohol. The day after I drink is the worst becasue I would feel like my heart was going to come out of my chest and I was going to jump out of my skin. I have to admit, I have Klonopin that has helped with that and it is easier to stay away from the alcohol but I ONLY take it as needed, usually once or twice a month. I know....I have to be careful with that to, but I don't like how it makes me sleepy so I only use it as needed. I have a 6 month old baby so sleepy is NOT an option...lol
Anyway, again welcome, you name alone has brightened my day a little!!