Notices

A good feeling!

Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A good feeling!

I was hanging out at my dock today with the family, pounding the water when friend I having seen in years came pulling up in their boat. Typical day out in the boat, cooler full of beers, appletini's in the cooler.

After hanging for a while every one decided I should make frozen drinks . Okay broke out the blender, pineapple juice and cream of cocnut and ice. Made the virgin batch first or me and the kids.

Then I made the "real" ones. having been a bartender for many years I am a pretty good gage of how much alcohol to put in a drink, and belive me I put plenty, not a much as i woudl hve when I was drinking , but plenty.

Well, half way through th first my one guest announced that she would like more rum in her drink. Ouch did that brink back memories, there ws never enough booze in my drink. so I directed her to the bottle of rum nd told her to help herself. So she proceed to fix her drink and the rest of the batch. I watched as she got louder and more talkitive until noone else could get a word in edgewise. I felt like I was looking in a mirror of my past. *****ooo for water. By the time they left I had to help her into the boat. She wasn't driving it. But she did pour herself an appletini once seated.

Though I was sad for my guest it was good feeling not to be in her shoes today!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!! I don't know how you do it. I still haven't been around it, and don't know if I will be able to for a while. Keep up the good work, NY!!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Deja Vu. Sounds very familiar.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is no where I can turn where there is not alcohol. I would have to have left yesterday. The beach is my other choice, ahh yes the cooler full of beer and cocktails. Went to the beach Tuesday, was offered cocktails on thre different occasions. I guess I have the added challenge of learning to accpet that other are always going to be drinking around me... but in reality that shouldn't matter, in the end my determination will win out and I will not drink.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
T-Time

Talking Color your world

Hey Girrrrl! Close your eyes at that beach! Listen to the world around you, you don't need to visit the bathroom so much when you don't drink! Just breathe deep feel your own vitality and be thankful in that moment that you are there to enjoy the sun, the sounds of living and be thankful you are part of life. It can be a beautiful place to be in.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree he beach is better without drink, everything is better with out having to been drunk all the time. I am starting to se that getting drunk, let alone being drunk consumed my thoughts.

The less bathroom thing isn't happening, I tend to pour 6 - 8 20 oz water in me every day. pssssss.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We've got a boat too. What is it about water? You're surrounded by it and you need to drink? Everyone we know is the same way.

It's only my 7th day. Last drunk I had was on the boat. Haven't been to the marina or the boat for a week and I plan to stay away for a week or two.

Good for you in staying strong--even while mixing drinks! I went to a party over the weekend and had virgin mojitos and they were actually better than with rum--so I'm psyched that there ARE alternatives that help stop the cravings because I'll tell ya, when the heat hits and soda doesn't, it's good to have a tasty alternative!

Congrats again and I may need to get some pointers from you for when I go to the water again!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Relax = Relapse

:Flush:It blows you away when you think,"I used to be like that?". You have awsome willpower mixing drinks like that, I couldnt do it. Some drunk guy about my age was being a jerk at the beach the other day and I was laughing so hard at him, and then i was all, "I used to be like that?". Thank god for our sobriety.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

frick. i wish i lived near a beach. how come you all have beaches and i have potholes and traffic lights every block?
That is defineltely some willpower to be able to mix for others and not slip.
Now that i think about it, from about the age of 7, i was in charge of grabbing the relatives another beer or mixing gramma wine and 7. And i am always the hostess with the mostess.
So i guess a beach or a boat might even be more difficult if added to the mix.

I do like to fish at the river though. I know i cant drink there.

god bless
mertyl
Old 07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. headed down the dock today to entertain the in laws they are all drinkers but not usually in the afternoon that used to be my job. And all of sudden I remember I was out of water. No biggy stopped at Ekerds the kinda pharmacy store and I couldn't believe it but the where out of water. . I had this mini panic attack after all i neeeeeed my bottles of water, it my sanity. Okay CVS had water wheew!

Funny thing I thought to myself just two months I would have been picking up a case of beer a bottle of booze and had the frozen drinks all ready with a buzz on.

7 bottles of water later... Life is good!

FYI I read when it is hot out you should 1oz of water for every pound of body weight everyday.

I think the will power comes from bartending al those years, I rarely drank when I worked, atleast not 'till last call!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fire yourself?

You're very strong to get through these situations. It sounds like everyone still expects you to be their personal bartender. Is it possible to "fire yourself" :uzi2: from this position? They may not like it but I think they will come to respect you for standing up for yourself. Plus, if some people don't know you've quit yet...then maybe this is the perfect opportunity to "out" the new and improved you...
Old 07-31-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I see where your coming from, but I really need to keep busy,as crazy as it may sound I have a lot more of an urge to drink when I watch others make there drinks then when make drinks for others. Thinking back, I always drank less when I played bartender. I don't know my mind has always worked in mysterious ways. If it's working i'd hate to try and fix it
Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's pretty neat that you feel that way when making the drinks. Maybe in some way you are in MORE control when you are in charge of making the drinks. If it works, don't change it!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Thanks for sharing, (girl). I can relate very well. My nephew got married last weekend. Friday was the rehearsal, at a pavilion in a park, pizza and beer after. Saturday the wedding was at 11:30 AM, all afternoon in a meeting room at a museum because it rained off and on, tailgate refreshments in the parking lot. Reception started at 5:30, I was MC, booze flowing freely. I tried to tell a long joke at 7:30, lots of the guests were too drunk to shut up and listen. Told it anyway! All the sober people laughed! Around 9:30 I had to drive a drunk home because he was too drunk and tired to stay. My only question: Are you going to get sick? He said no, and he didn't. He was in the shape I used to get into lots. It was like looking through a time-machine window. Sunday afternoon, gift opening at a relative's house. Lots of beer.

Through it all, no big problem for me. It gets easier. I never forget why I quit. I truly had a good time!

I've been sober over 17 1/2 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by ibhmn
That's pretty neat that you feel that way when making the drinks. Maybe in some way you are in MORE control when you are in charge of making the drinks. If it works, don't change it!
Yeah thats true - whatever works for you, stick with it. Still you are strong for being able to manage like that. I'm a bit the same keeping busy is the best thing for me, at the same time I don't think I could be around it just yet!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do a lot of boating and boaters are boozers - most of them anyway. It's actually a lot more fun to do sober - a LOT less dangerous too!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Me too, I made my Dad J&B and waters
Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can relate sorta. I went to a piano bar the other night. An old friend was in town and was going out with our old crew. I said, ya know what it's saturday night, I think I will. Went with them and had a GREAT time, was still doing all my crazy stuff, but I didnt have a huge bar tab and best yet, I had memories the next morning and NO hangover. I had no desire to drink it was fabulous.

Bravo for making the drinks and then recognizing yourself in the other girl. I also saw myself in the bartender who was wild and crazy and tossing back shots every few minutes. I tried to tip him for one of my many refills of soda and asked me if I drank at all and I said I've got 40 days sober, baby. He refused my tip and said bravo, its my pleasure to serve you.

Its nice to be able to say no and mean it.
Star
Old 08-01-2006, 12:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

wtg nycgirl!!

Great support here on this thread, too.