Notices

Campral

Old 07-30-2006, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral

I was prescribed Campral during my crisis hospital admission 3 weeks ago.

I feel that is it really helping to curb my cravings so would like to enlighten anyone who may want to discuss this medication with their doctor.

http://www.campral.com/about.aspx

What is Campral?

Campral (acamprosate calcium) Delayed-Release Tablets were approved by the FDA on July 29, 2004. Campral is the first new medication approved for the treatment of alcohol dependence, or alcoholism, as it is commonly referred to, in a decade.

Campral is a medication that helps people stay alcohol-free in combination with counseling or support groups once they have stopped drinking. Campral is thought to restore the normal brain balance, which has been disturbed in someone who is alcohol dependent.

You may have heard of other medications prescribed to help people stop drinking. They work differently than Campral. They either make people very ill if they drink even small amounts of alcohol or block the “high” associated with drinking alcohol.

Campral helps reduce the physical distress and emotional discomfort (e.g. sweating, anxiety, sleep disturbances) associated with staying alcohol-free. This, in combination with counseling and support groups, makes it easier for people not to drink.

In several clinical trials, Campral was shown to help up to 3 times more people stay alcohol-free than placebo pills (sugar pills). In addition, for patients who did experience a slip, or relapse, Campral prolonged the periods of abstinence and reduced the number and severity of relapses.

Campral is Safe and Well Tolerated
You can take comfort in the fact that Campral has been used by over 1.5 million patients worldwide. Campral can be used by people with mild to moderate liver problems. Some people have experienced side effects such as diarrhea, fatigue, nausea, gas, and itching. The most common side effect, diarrhea, usually resolved with time.

Campral can be taken with many other medications, including medications for anxiety, depression, and sleep disorders. Campral is not addictive.

You Can Start Campral When You are Alcohol-free
If you are interested in seeking treatment for alcoholism, talk to your doctor about Campral. Treatment should begin as soon as possible following alcohol withdrawal, once you have achieved abstinence. The recommended daily dose is two 333 mg tablets taken three times per day that you can take with your meals. Should you relapse, treatment can be continued and you should discuss your relapse with your doctor.

Campral should be used as part of a comprehensive management program that includes psychosocial support such as counseling and support groups

Keep smiling ,

jeanine
Old 07-30-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Campral

I'm having lots of issues with Campral though. This is my 3rd day on it and I'm very lightheaded and dizzy most of the time now. Please tell me it gets better after my body adjusts to this stuff. It does seem to be working though on my cravings.

Thanks,

Sean M.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for this information as i believe i need extra help to quit drinking. I don't know if you know the answer to this question- do you know how long you have to be alcohol free before starting to take this medication?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Re: Campral

I was sober 2 days when I started it. BTW I hope you have insurance. Campral is VERY EXPENSIVE however when compared to how much I used to spend on booze and beer. It's relatively cheap then. Best of luck to ya'll.

Happy day number 5 for me and its only getting better.

Sean M.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sean, yes i do have insurance, which is pretty good so it shouldnt cost that much.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is also a drug called naltrexone (Revia) that REALLY helped my alcohol cravings...
Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on day 46 and I am going to see my therapist's husband (the physchiatrist) tomorrow to discuss prescriptions. I'm sure he'll bring this one up. Is this generally something that you take right after you quit? I generally don't trust prescriptions, since I don't trust the FDA. I would rather go to AA and see my shrink...has anyone else had any experience with this drug. I would be willing to take it if it had any redeeming benefits, besides going through withdrawal.

Thanks,
Katie
Old 08-01-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tHANKS FOR THIS INFORMATION, i AM GOING TO the doctor today and hopefully whatever medication they prescribe will help.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went to the doctor yesterday and gave me a sample of a one week supply, took first dose yesterday evening and second dose this morning, so far havnt drank anything, have been feeling kind of weird but not from the medicine but because i am so used to spending my time drinking i guess i dont know what to do with myself, but i hope this medicine helps in the long run, the doc said for me to come back and see her in a week and see how i am doing and if i think it is working she will give me a prescription. Does anyone know how much it costs on an average if you have insurance?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have information about Campral, but others may be along who do.

I thought it was significant when you said that you didn't know what to do with yourself because you were used to spending time drinking. That is a major point in recovery. It's not just stopping drinking, but it's what you do from there. The journey is beginning and you can get lots of support here.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Talking

thanks, anna, I really appreciate everyones support here. I also sat at home last night watching tv thinking what were the things i did for fun before i started drinking or as a child, my options are limited cause i cant drive right now but the first thing that came to mind was playing basketball, which I played in elementary, junior high and high school, so was thinking of getting a basketball and going to the school behind our house and have been thinking about things like that since last night.