Notices

The power of advertising

Old 07-30-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The power of advertising

I saw a bill board for Bud Light the other day with very powerful slogan atleast for me. I often tell my self that onoe beer or one drink is just not worth the consequences.It simply said

"It's worth it".

I find certain alcohol ads hieghten my cravings.

Does anyone else have that happe to them?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes, in early sobriety I could get triggered by ad's.
They had a CC ad that was on ships
but did not show vomiting.

Enjoy your sober day...
Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, that happened to me in early sobriety, but I had my own advertising in my head as well. You say "Thank you for sharing and keep coming back."

As Truman Capote said, "Dogs bark, but the caravan moves on."
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YES DEFINITELY especially since i have not completely quit drinking, gone from 8-9 beers a day to 2-4 beers, I know i need to quit completely but having hard times with it, but whenever I see an ad for Budweiser which is what I drink it makes me think about drinking one and it seems like most of the tv shows especially on cable have people on drinking and they make it look attractive especially when they have attractive men and women drinking either on tv or on commercials.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No. Advertising does nothing.

I find beer ads ironic - fit healthy, attractive people - drinking. Very weird.

Advertising is extremely powerful.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

advertising pisses me off.
If a lady can sue mcdonalds for a hot coffee spilled on her lap, and Supersize me, the movie, can cause mcdonalds to stop asking if you want that large sized, i dont understand how something as harmful as alcohol can still be advertised so carelessly when there are millions of alcoholics in this world.
They arent allowed where i live to advertise cigarettes, either on tv or in magazines. Certainly other drug commercials arent available, except anti drug ads.
But I guess all we can do when we see these ads is tell the television we dont need it: that our strength is bigger than our addictions.

have a great day
mertyl
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Illigal drugs aren't advertised, but what about scripts. We spent countless hours and dollars telling our kids not to drugs and what they see on TV. Take tis pill it will make you social, this one makes you skinny this one grows your hair, another makes you happy and one has to warn you that it happens for more that four hours you better see a doctor. What kind of message are we sending our kids!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

NYC,
Exactly- I am not an alcoholic and I can be influenced by these ads. Sometimes the promotional displays for other products in stores can have the same effect. I can go to the store for milk, but have to walk by all the other things and before I know it..... I am sucked into it buying things.
Media in general has way too much influence on us all. I feel the pressure myself to try and 'measure up' to impossible standards. I try hard not to take the bait.
I think a good plan is to have a visual image or thought in my mind which helps me to realize that what I am hearing and/or seeing is a lie.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am currently writting a final paper for a class on evolution about a thought and idea transmittle theory called memes. One of my discussions realte to advertising i will post the paper when i am through. If anyone knows what I am talking about fell free to start with out me. I ned to hve this paper in by tonight I shouldn't even be here.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wish i would have got your request last nite, NYC girl. I took a course or two on advertising and subliminal advertising. It is amazing how the companies can toy with peoples heads.
My friend also did a college project on it, and for that she had to watch the superbowl for the commercials and do a paper. If you ever need anything, message me and i will do my best to give you what you need.
As for prescription drug ads, or weight loss ads, I just have to shake my head at what children of the future are entering into.

mertyl
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Two exits before mine, there is a billboard with a huge bottle of cold vodka...my drug of choice. Every time I come home, I intentionally divert my gaze from that side of the road. It is definitelly a trigger for me.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

This dis ease is powerful, cunning and baffling. Hang in there, it will all pass one day at a time.

Kevin
Old 08-01-2006, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Erin, I agree with your observation of irony. It's funny though I have never be overly influenced by ad, but those advertisers so know how to arouse your subconscience.

I know there are alot of sublimanal trick they use
Old 08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One good example, y'all-

Look for an older marlboro ad in a magazine, where the man is standing in front of the wooden fence. If you look closely at the wooden posts and his body positioning, you will see the word sex in the ad. So fitting, cause in the days of this, smoking was sexy and this man was rugged. ( I say what the heck ever)
Also, the camel packs. And this is just the start.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Speaking of prescription drug ads, how about the disclaimers?

"Out of 3000 people tested, fewer than 1% experienced a fatal reaction"... So that means less than 30 people died trying it?!?!?!?!? ... "Oh *weeell* if the body count was LESS than 30..." And its on the market???

"Ask your doctor"
Old 08-01-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

so true. And i love the side effects. You may experience this or not? Way to feed society.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

better yet, why is there no disclaimer in the beer ads. "out of 1000000 people, 650000 developed addiction, 10000 died and only 30000 developed liver disease. the others: unknown. Due to unknown factors, this product may destroy your life."

but we'll still market it.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are you trying to destroy the alcoholic beverage industry lol.

If people can sue he tobacco industry maybe we can sue Anheuser Bush

As far as the pill side effects, don't ask you doctor aren't they the pill pushers.

I never ask for meds when I go to the doctor for My or my kids, yet I don't think a visit goes by that I'm not offered something.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Heres the kicker. I live in canada where prescription meds are cheap. My bf is american where the insurance has to be paid for.

Last year, my bf had a toothache and the dentist perscribed him vicodin!!!

Last year, I had an outpatient surgery and couldnt even tylenol three for pain. My doctor never offers me anything and i like it that way.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have 3 or 4 almost fulls bottles of vicidin In my drawer. I have had some dental work done and everytime I go they write me a script for 30 more, the last two times I said don't bother. I take 1 or 2, 3 a the most and the bottle gets thrown in my drawer.

It's easy to see why so many people get adicted to that stuff. I guess in a way I am lucky only the alcohol got me.