Notices

Life is SO Boring Now!

Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life is SO Boring Now!

Life is extremely boring now without drugs/alcohol, been sober for 10 months now... nothing exciting is happening with my life.

Any guidance?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Indigo.....I hear you loud and clear ....Part of the association I have with my drug use...which is probably more dangerous than actually using ...is the acquiring of the drug itself.....Im situated right in between Baltimore and Philly..Take your pick...both are equally homicidal...have people like me been shot in the head and left for dead like a piece of garbage on a sidewalk gutter...you betcha....but that never stopped me......after a couple drinks I was willing to put myself in some pretty precarious situations....but it didnt matter as long as I get what I set out for.....I would get high of the search....the getting away....the using....and then returning for more....the whole process was such an adrenaline rush....as I enter my 10th day of being drink and drug free....that life ..that whole process is what Im missing...unbelievably.......but Im staying away....feeling lucky to have gotten away with everything still intact....I mean what would finally have to happen for me to see how dangerous this is....Ive already been mugged...beaten ...robbed...rolled...burned...you name it...whats next....sacrifice my life for a couple of drinks and a piece of rock....well at least today Im safe...and look forward to living today drink and drug free....If this is boring then.....bring it on....Ive seen the other side and it is dark...This side has much more light..... Stay strong ...Christopher
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Not all friendships are forever...
I let my drinking friends go.

I needed new ones that shared the same interest and goals.
AA members do.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with CarolD, reminissing with people about past parties, drinking and drug taking parties willnot help you inthe long run, it could possibly hook you back into all that despair!

Just stop and think for a moment about your last drink or drug episode?..how did you feel the next day?..emotionally, physically?
think about when you got into recovery, do you want to have to go back and start that all again?

look how far you have come!...what an achievement!

The first year is full of ups and downs, but it DOES get better!! There is so much life going on out there, you have to go and find it. Find people who are in the same boat as you, what are your interestss? what would you LIKE to do that you have alwasy wanted to do?

Find something!! its out there waiting FOR YOU!!

RECOVERY is the most wonderful thing!!!!

looking out for you and wishing you all the love in the world!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take a few minutes, relax, think, really dig deep........
Think about different things you are interested in, wanna start on an exercise program? Start organizing all those old pictures in a scrapbook? Take up quilting/sewing? Remodel a room in the house? Whatever it is that you have even just breifly thought about or can think of today that you have not done in years or never done but would like to try, pick something and work towards doing it. You would be amazed at how good it feels to accomplish something you havent done. There are a ton of things out there that you can do and still stay sober, that you will find you enjoy. The further into recovery you get, the less the mourning of substance abuse and the things associated with it will be. Stay strong!!!!
Liss
Old 07-28-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember saying the same exact thing to my sponsor and he said "Well, if your bored your probably a boring person." ooooh that one stung and I had a resentment until I wrote about it and got over it. My sponsor gives me lots of writing assignments and I write on the 12 steps and 12 traditions in order, so that keeps me busy. I'm pretty involved in my area with recovery so I'm usually kept pretty busy. Helping another addict who is new to stay clean is the greatest joys in life, so I keep busy with that. I also work-out, I run, I read books today. I'm more interested in history now than I have ever been, so I'm catching up on a lot of world history that I slept through in High School and College. I am learning about other spiritual outlets. I see a lot of live music, it's a form of meditation for me, part of my 11th step. I pretty much do everything that I used to do before active addiction took a hold of my life.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Find something to get passionate about.

Do you enjoy any sports?

Has there ever been anything in life that you wanted to try, but maybe you were afraid to do it, or maybe have been procrastinating? Rock-climbing, scuba-diving, martial arts, yoga?

I started taking martial arts 6 years ago and I help teach a class for kids at a local elementary school. It may seem like a small thing to most people, but it has really given me a sense of worth, like I have something to give back to the world.

Sounds like you are searching for something? Wonder what it could be? Consider the possibilities! You could find something life-changing. You've been sober 10 months! that is awesome! Maybe you will have a new passion to also celebrate when you reach your ONE YEAR of SOBRIETY only 2 months from now!

Best of luck to you!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lollipop
Take a few minutes, relax, think, really dig deep........
Think about different things you are interested in, wanna start on an exercise program? Start organizing all those old pictures in a scrapbook? Take up quilting/sewing? Remodel a room in the house? Whatever it is that you have even just breifly thought about or can think of today that you have not done in years or never done but would like to try, pick something and work towards doing it. You would be amazed at how good it feels to accomplish something you havent done. There are a ton of things out there that you can do and still stay sober, that you will find you enjoy. The further into recovery you get, the less the mourning of substance abuse and the things associated with it will be. Stay strong!!!!
Liss
Lollipop what a wonderful post!...full of hope and light!.Thankyou for that!

How can we not be inspired by people like lollipop eh?....I have achiceved a lot in my sobriety, things i never thought were possible.
Oh yes I get a bit manic at times but its our expereinces and mistakes that help us to learn!

I can remember thinknign oh god now im gonna be stupid boring and glum!...uh uh, no way!, I have had more wonderful expereinces in the last few years than I ever did when i was drinking and using drugs!

I loved the club scene, the parties and stuff like that.What I DONT miss is the hangovers, the guilt, the shame, watching my body disintegrate at such a young age.

YOU really have been given a chance here.GRAB it, take it!!

YOU can choose to do ANYTHING in your life!

you hold the reigns, (witha little guidance form above or wahtever you believe in) the world is your oyster!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Indago,

I found the same situ, then I decided it was up to me to do something about it. I began revisiting things I liked to do b/f I drank... gym, biking, walking, hiking, reading, writing, etc. I then developed some new interests like softball, golfing, travelling.

The point is that life isn't boring b/c you don't drink, life is boring b/c you need to find things you like to do. If alcohol gave that to you in the past, it wasn't really the alcohol, it was you out doing things. You don't need alcohol to have fun. Human beings survived hundreds of thousands of years without the stuff and enjoyed life. So can you.

Peace, Levi
Old 07-28-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi IndigoNA,

Have you thought of doing volunteer work in your community? There are lots of organizations that are looking for help of all kinds. This can help you to get involved in something bigger than you are and help you to meet new people and have fun.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Moontime
I'm more interested in history now than I have ever been, so I'm catching up on a lot of world history that I slept through in High School and College.
I couldn't agree more!! I have learned SO much about the Middle East within the past few days, and I keep stumbling on projects and things I want to learn more about. I swear I have learned more in the past 44 days (the time I have been sober) than I did all four years of college combined. (Talk about money well spent!)
Old 07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I was ready. Sick and tired of drinking/using, bored? Never occurred to me cos my life was constant oblivion or working or being sick. So if your bored think carefully about how it was for you and where it was taking you.

I had to say bye to my old environment and friends and gradullay make new ones, so the stories where not about using. Imagine giving up smoking and then spending all your time with a ciggie in your hand talking about how much you miss it, guess what will happen? Better to write a list of how much better you feel, fake it if you don't feel it at first.

Recovery is a gift, another chance and I think borrowed time, I try hard each day to nourish it.

Anyway good luck.

Kevin