Notices

New here and hung over.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and hung over.

Hi i have a bad drinking problem have always known it.
Went to my first AA meeting in the Navy when i was in Dry Dock then mostly
Because my lawyer told me it would help me with my court marshall.
from beating the crap out of a SP in a drunken rage.
That was when i was 18 30 years ago had been drinking for 4 years then.
Stoped drinking for 3 years when i was 30 Went to AA and started drinking in a week (I know it works my mom has her 30 year chip)
I just decided i was a drunk and would live out my life that way.
now 15 years later i cant stand it any more.
The Stinking hang overs.
I binge drink to max And being a very large man I can and do consume an insane amount 1.75 lt of vodka and a 12 pack on a saterday.
Got type 2 diabetes ime afraid i wont wake up some day after that BS
Will quit for a couple days then in some sick sceme i will buy a 12 pack
and a pint cause i can drink that and not have too bad a hangover but
Like last nite made another Drunken driving trip to the store got another pint.
Trying to work do outside sales so can skate. But by friday ill feel good
And forget about how i felt like a gut shot dog thats had his head kicked in
2 days earlier and start all over again. Steve
Old 07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steve,

Welcome and I'm glad you found us!

You can stop drinking if that's what you want to do and begin to take care of yourself. If you forget by Friday how you felt tonight, then come back here to SR and read the thread that you posted. That might give you incentive to stay sober. And, you know about the drunk driving!!

There's lots of information and support here.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Steve,

Welcome, how about giving aa another shot? I know the one thing I don't miss are the hangovers, I just couldn't take it anymore, aa helped me to stay sober, worth a shot??

Rose
Old 07-26-2006, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This has been coming on for a while not just because of last nite.
Been driving by the AA meeting for months just scared to fail again.
I should not say i wont rember how bad i felt i just wont care.
I apreceate any help and am hoping being able to To talk here will help.
Thank you.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Steve,

I just found this board today to. I'm on day 2 or trying to stay straight. Would do the same thing with the binge drinking. Coming from a long line of alcoholics in the family and being German, I can put it away to. A six pack for me is just warming up and usually a pint of vodka to top it off, but I can't do that anymore. I have blood pressure issues I know that is directly related to it and I know I can stop. Heck I did while I was pregnant and breast feeding.
It feels soo good to wake up in the morning with a clear head and mind, white eyes not bloodshot. It's tough though, that monkey on your back doesn't give up easy. I'm glad you've found this place, you did for a reason. You are reaching out that is the first step, heck I know it is for me. Hope to see you on here more!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Steve--Welcome to SR. Glad you found us.

I can completely relate to that horrible, sick, hungover feeling. And to the inclredibly frightening realization that the booze just isn't doing it for me any more.

I, too, had an attempt at sobriety when I was much younger. I made it a little over a year and then went back out for another 12 years. One of the main things that kept me drinking was fear of going back to AA. I just didn't want to admit that I couldn't do it. Now I wonder why the hell I waited so long. I was welcomed back with open arms and almost no one even remembered who I was!

I hope you will stick around and keep posting!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

here we go again... love an alcoholic/drugs, etc..

Hi, Steve.. part of your thread sounded like a bio of the man I love.....have been involved with him for years.... back and forth.. yo...yo...

or have tried to love / or win his love depending on the day.. I have looked around the site... there's so much pain... for the one drinking and the ones involved with them... I have a "dr. Jeckyll/ Mr. Hyde alcoholic... who wants seeks high profile in the community and lives in the cave.. -- angel on one shoulder / devil on the other who is on the road to self-destruction..... he thinks he's hiding it from the outside world... but it's crumbling... he too is in sales.. so there's days he hibernates... drinks, drugs, etc. Pancreatitis, near death, diabetes, cancer..... it's so complicated....
Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Steve,

I'm pretty new here, too. You're a couple years older than me. Like you, I'm a big guy who can consume a lot of alcohol. I'm mostly a weekend drinker, a binger. The hangovers are killer. I've been hanging around here for the last several days trying to get a grip on things, after a terrible day last Friday. I've found in just a few posts that it can be pretty calming. I don't mind telling a little about myself here in cyberland. I hope it calms you a bit, too.

Kevin
Old 07-26-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank god i learned to control my anger any more or maybe age has done it
I have not been involved with any one for years always have been a loner
Got a couple dogs they dont complain ushaly unless ime trashed and forget to feed them.
Only real close friend i have any more is my Dad he moved back were we are from 400 miles away that has made it wource
Have thought about moving up there also but have almost 30years at this job and a small comunity and all my relatives the way i drink could not stand it
But hopefdully will add to my desire to stop drownding my self with Booze.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Steve,

Your story sounds like mine to a "T". I can easily drink a case of beer and often more. I started drinking while in the Army 20+ years ago. It tapered off a bit after I got out but has slowly gotten worse over the years. The past 10 years have really been the worst and things really got bad when I got divorced about 7 years ago. I recently reached a point that it sounds like you are close to, where I looked at myself in the mirror and said "keep this up and you will be dead soon". I decided that I don't want to die soon and unless I quit drinking completely I know I will. I'll bet I've quit drinking 500 times over the past 5 years, but that only lasted a few days. I'm just like you, once the hangover is a couple of days into the past, it's time to tie another one on. I've tried to hide it from my family & friends and maybe I have, but I doubt it. I don't really care anymore, it's more important to me to get myself cleaned up and get my life back to some kind normal. I went to AA a couple of times in the past but I always made an excuse why it wasn't for me. Truth is, deep down, I wasn't really interested in stopping drinking. My family has a history of drunks, psychos & drug addicts in it. My mom & aunt both don't drink, but that's because my grandparents were wasted their entire lives. I never knew any of that until I was an adult, but by that time I was already a raging full blown alcoholic. If somebody had taken the time to educate me when I was younger, maybe I could have avoided all this, and lived the last 25 years like a normal human being, who know. It took me forever to face reality. If you are serious, do whatever it takes, but get away from the booze. If only it were that easy right?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks again and good luck to others will enjoy working through this with you
All.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

(Steve), welcome to SR.

Felt like a gutshot dog with his head kicked in? That's a new one.

Do you ever talk to your mom and her friends about AA? You say you know it can be done because she's got her 30 year chip. What's she gone through watching you get to where you are? How about a heart-to-heart with her? What does she have that you want? Please think about it.

I've been sober over 17 1/2 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WE grew up with our Father and step mom After i was a teen ager and she got sober we got closer i would visit here for a week or 2 on vacation holidays would not drink ime shure she knows i drink has to after calling me some times when ime bombed but i know she hase no idea how bad it realy is.
And i have real reservations about telling her now.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Hi Steve and welcome to SR!

There is lots of support here. And it's available 24/7!
Keep coming back and posting. Thanks for sharing your story. I can relate on many levels.

Hugs and prayers being sent your way.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Steve and Welcome To SR!

Keep reading and posting, when you get the craving to drink, come here and post about it, then go fix a cup of coffee or something and come back to your pc. You will be amazed at how quick the responses will pour in. This place and all the awesome people here has saved my butt a number of times when I felt the need to drink. And yeah, Im a binge drinker too, I can drink for ANY reason, rather its a celebration or too hot outside, doesnt matter, sounds like a good time for a cold one (or 20)to me. It isnt an easy thought to overcome, but you can do it. Keep us updated!!!
Liss
Old 07-27-2006, 06:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Steve,

You don't have to tell her how bad it really is, at least not right now. Just tell her you know it's a problem and you want things to be different. I spill my guts because I've never been able to do it before. Just like you I've been so ashamed of myself and my actions that I clammed up about everything & guess what? That just made me drink even more. It may get worse than where I've been, I've only spent a few days in jail because of drinking, but I really don't want to sink any lower. TRULY wanting to change, not just half-assin' it is what is the difference for me this time. Believe me, if you were to take a poll of my friends & family & ask theem who is the worse drunk they ever saw, I'd be #1 on every list. That just motivates me more to make sure I show everyone that even the worse alcoholic they've ever seen can get his life back on track.

You can do it. If you start craving a drink, make a deal with yourself: Put on some tennis shoes and go for a brisk walk for 30 minutes or an hour. Tell yourself if you still want a drink when you get back you can have one. My bet is you will not. Don't give up.