Notices

Can I recover without inpatient tx

Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Can I recover without inpatient tx

I have a problem with hydrocodone, I'm in a position where I could lose my job, license, and grandkids if I expose myself. I want to get better, without being in danger of losing everything.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My opinion, you can do it without inpatient if you are not going to have a life-threatening detox.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

detox not a problem

I manage to get a prescription from Doc pretty often. They are catching on, I'm not fooling anyone. It usually takes about 3 or 4 days before I start to feel better after a binge.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankyou for answering me. I'm not very good with computers, still learning my way around.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Hi whiteknuckle. I'm from Kansas too. Welcome to SR!

I don't really have a direct answer to your question. I don't' know that extent of your addiction and I don't have experience with addiction to hydrocodone (although, I'll admit, I do like taking it). I would say that you could be in danger of losing job, license, and grandkids if you don't get sober.

Just a thought -- stick around here. Read some threads. You've got to make a decision on your own and and do it for yourself.

hugs,
doll
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteknuckle
It usually takes about 3 or 4 days before I start to feel better after a binge.
Does that mean after the 3-4 days you begin again? If you can handle the first 3-4 days off hydrocodone then why go to inpatient?
No one's a doctor here.. but I was given 5 days detox from vicodin (hydrocodone) by my insurance company. It helped but I still had the jumpy legs for another week.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

My name is Vic and I am an addict. Grateful to be clean today! Can you get clean without in-patient well My experience is yes, can you stay clean? Well Just for Today you never have to use again. I go to NA/AA everyday to treat my disease, I also come here but My primary program is face to face meetings! There you will find people just like us who understand. I have never experienced that drug, but like our literature says in the NA Basic Text

"It doesn't matter what or how much you used. Who you connections were, what you have done in the past, how much or how little you got. But only in what you want to do about your problem and how we can help. The newcomer is the most important person at any meeting cause we can only keep what we have by giving it away. WE have learned from our group experience that those who keep coming to our meeting regularly stay clean. Thanks for being here.

and OMG about the computer stuff I can so relate, I never ran one before in my life until I joined SR last Year so Yes you will learn a lot of that also.

Love Vic
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It cost me $30,000 to find out Narcotics Anonymous is free. We Do Recover! That being said you may want to consult with a physican about Detoxing.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would say that you could be in danger of losing job, license, and grandkids if you don't get sober.

Missouri girl here.....
i too at one time said that I was about to lose my job, license and family if I exposed myself....long story short ...I did not expose myself and not only lost all of the above but like moontime went in terrible debt to pay my lawyers I had to get to get out of the trouble I was in ......

I had a problem with hydro's too. I am like 2 months clean and grateful for everyday I have. Do you mean professional license or drivers.... If it is professional, (MD- RPh-RN- etc...) i know that if you go to them before they come to you...it is much easier to retain your license....

I took alot of norco and soma and xanax and well whatever ...daily and did detox without inpatient...( I have done inpatient too)....it is hard but yes can be done....you need support and I wish you luck !!!!
Keep posting....
Old 07-26-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweetNuff
The question is if you quit on your own, can you stay stopped?
I learned the hard way that there is a difference between stopping and STAYING stopped. For the latter, I had to get into an honest program of recovery (AA and NA).

And, for me, I stopped ct from a massive opiate habit. I went through wicked withdrawals that had me in bed for a month. I had to re-learn how to do life all over again. But, yes, I was able to stop on my own and stay stopped with the help of a 12 step program.

Glad you are here, whiteknuckle.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am sure about in your state, but in Jersey you have to allow an attempt at recovery, I know because my husband is an employer. I do not know all of the details but adicts fall under the disabilities act, seek some legal advice. you might have one less thing to worry about
Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

Sure you can do it on your own, but like any type of recovery it will take discipline and self control. Try and find an NA group, having others to talk to is a big help when you are first starting out. It's even good after you have been around for a while too!

Good luck!
Scott