Dad update #3

Old 07-23-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dad update #3

Well my dad has been at the inpatient rehab place for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Today he got a "pass" to leave for a bit for the first time. He got the ok to be gone for 4 hours. He wanted to come home, and asked that I let my 2 brothers (ages 23 and 14) know so they could come visit also.

He told me that going to this inpatient place was probally the best decision he ever made in his life, that made me very happy to hear that. He also said that the counselor that manages the place told my dad he was probally ready to leave, however my dad said he made a promise to himself that he was going to complete the 30 day program and he was determined to keep that promise. He also said he has realized that his soberity has to be something real to him, something he is so sure of there is no doubt or question about it. It just is.

He was here for a about 2 1/2 hours, and asked that I take him back. I am sad about that because I do miss him, however I am able to realize this has nothing to do with me or his feelings toward me. (HUGE step for me!!) I remember that when I was inpatient for my depression, the first few times I went on pass were a bit overwhelming, and I just wanted to get back to where I felt safe.

I also starting working with my therapist on my need to "fix" everything and care for everybody. It is something so very ingrained in me that it is not easy to change or stop, but we are going to work on it.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ICU

That's great news! I'm happy for the both of you! I agree about the baby steps for the both of you! One baby step at a time!!