Notices

Almost 60 Days

Old 07-23-2006, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 60 Days

It is almost 60 days. It really Hasnt been that hard to stay away from drinking. This is what scares me. i am in a outpatient program and i am the only one that has not relapsed. I am proud of myself, but I know it is possible that it may happen to me. i keep away from my old hangouts and friends that still drink. i cant avoid them forever. I am still early in recovery and not really sure on how to handle when my friends want to go out. I am afraid that I will get caught up in the moment. What are some good ways to handle that moment?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by shemp
i cant avoid them forever. I am still early in recovery and not really sure on how to handle when my friends want to go out. I am afraid that I will get caught up in the moment. What are some good ways to handle that moment?
Hi my name is Vic and I am an addict! Pleased and fortunate to be here clean and sober tonight that is for sure. I haven't had to take a drug (alcohol is a drug) since May 25, 2006 and for that I am eternally grateful.

I am in out-patient as well, I put myself in it because I knew that I had to do something different. You also are in out patient and they teach us to stay away from people, places and things. We don't need those people in our lives, especially in early recovery. If we hang out with them it has been my experience that I usually end up high. It isn't there fault, they are not bad people either, but we need to do whatever we can to stay clean.

You seem like you are doing wonderful, so remember to keep going to meetings, get and use a sponsor, don't drink or use no matter what, read the literature, work the steps and pray you butt off. We only have to do this deal for today! Just for Today, YOU and I, NEVER have to use again.

Love Vic
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Congratulations and keep up the hard work. Always remember your recovery tools. Have numbers to call and always have an exit plan if things start to get hairy. You could always avoid going out all together until you get more stable in your recovery. I know life goes on. If you do choose to go out, plan ahead for what your are going to do to avoid drinking.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations and it's good to be cautious and not complacent.

I think the best way to deal with the situation is to plan, plan and plan. You know in your heart whether you are ready to spend time with old friends or not. Maybe you will be in a week or a month, but you will know. If you are afraid you will get caught up in the moment, don't go. And, yes that's hard but sometimes we have to make major changes in our lives. The fact that you are concerned and looking ahead will help you.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cogratulations on almost 60 days Shemp, and i couldn't have said it better than Vic, whom i might add, has some awesome advice as others do that will come along soon..best wishes to you..
Old 07-23-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a little slow on my post, it went through at the same time of Anna and 2Dayz..getting slow on typingbut, like i said, great advice on the way
Old 07-23-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!

I found many new sober friends in AA.
We shared the same lifestyle and goals.

My drinking buddies soon faded away as
I made them ill at ease.

Blessings...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Shemp, congrats on your 60 days!! I am also in a long-term outpatient program. I have 107 days today. Right after the 4th of July they did a random UA on 3 people in my group. I was the only one who passed. Not a surprise to me at all. Most people in my outpatient are court ordered -- but I am too. I tried putting myself in outpatient a year ago and was kicked out for using. This time I'm court ordered and I'm really trying. Sometimes having consequences works. The truth is that we each do it in our own time in our own way.

Keep yourself out of dangerous places. ALWAYS have a plan B to get out of the situation when you are around using people. Best wishes!!!!