Notices

Help-tips for getting sleep while in withdrawal

Old 07-23-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help-tips for getting sleep while in withdrawal

Anybody have any tips (or links) for sleeping while going through withdrawal? Anxiety is a bigger problem for me right now than cravings.

I'm aware of hot baths and Magnesium supplements. Are there any diets that help? Also, how important is hydration and nutrition while in withdrawal?

I'm SO glad I found this community. Thanks for your help...
Old 07-23-2006, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hydration, water and juice, is very important during withdrawl. As for diet, listen to your body and try to eat well and just generally rest as much as you can and take care of yourself.

Sleeping will take awhile for it to return to a 'normal' sleep pattern and it requires patience. Each day will be easier for you.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank a lot of teas.. I was turned on to valerian teas like Celestial Seasoning's makes and they worked well.. mix one bag of peppermint in with them. Try to avoid using honey after the first week...
Can't say enough about exercise. It really helps with anxiety!

Congratulations on your decision to change your life.. you're fighting the good fight and it may well be the fight for your life. You can do it!
Old 07-23-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's some interesting information on sugar out these days. I needed candy bars to fight off the hard core compulsions, but eventually found that sugar caused drastic mood swings. But some folks out there say stick with fruit, and eat plenty of whole grains and vegetables so that the compulsions aren't so bad. That can be a tall order for some people; the main thing is don't drink and go to a lot of meetings.

I just read an article in the August edition of "Alternative Medicine" that referenced programs and a book called "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" by Joan Matthews Larson. The article says to break the compulsion cycle, "choose raw or lightly cooked fruits and veggies, exchange white rice for brown, and eat oatmeal for breakfast." It also suggests snacking on protein like hard-boiled eggs, chunks of cheese, nuts, or peanut butter and apples every two to three hours.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You could try chamomile tea for help relaxing you. There's always benadryl as well. Neither worked for me on night 3 last night, but I'm yawning now and just waiting for closer to sundown to hit the hay. Hopefully I'll get 10 hours or so, which I sorely need.
Thanks for your post to me on the thread I started.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very scared

My doctor put me on seroquel for sleep and I'm not sure if I like it. It does knock you out, but I think it's for opiate addicts because it "dances on your receptors" and helps knock the opiates off the receptors. But you can ask your doctor about it. Other than that, I drink Chammomile tea for sleep and warm milk and graham crackers. Try to exercise a bit, that helps in a big way. Good luck to you.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try potassium pills (Trade Joes), Vitamin Water (Convenience stores) and B6 and B12 supplement vitamins...drink tons of water and orange juice. Eating bananas helps a ton as well....God Bless...
Old 07-23-2006, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sww if this helps...

Sleep Link

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Blessings...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have used an herb called "kratom" with some success for withdrawal symptoms. It's legal, but you can probably only buy it online. Also, the blood pressure medicine clonidine is a good help for the anxiety and insomnia of withdrawal.