Notices

its SOOO HARD to quit drinking - not sure if I will make it

Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

its SOOO HARD to quit drinking - not sure if I will make it

Today is day 3 of not drinking, I honestly cant remember when the last time was I made it that long. I can remember a few tries in the last 2 years in which I made it 1 or 2 days.

The hardest part in quiting is that I live alone in a trailor (which is a step up from living on the streets for most of my life) and every friend I have is either an alcoholic or an alcoholic and a drug addict.

Ive never been a very charismatic person, not the type to make friends very easily, I guess you could say Im a social outcast who only seems to make friends among "low lifes", drunks, bums etc... And so If I want to quit drinking I cant hang around with them, so its just me here alone with my PC and my TV, and I swear there is only so much TV and internet I can handle before I cave in.

Im 36 and male. I want so badly to drive to the liquor store right now, im gonna try and hang in there - but honestly I dont think I can quit alone - and for those of you wondering, ive tried AA, but like I said I dont make friends among normal people, and I didnt in AA, so I gave up on that.

Well, I guess thats enough for now.
I hear there is a pill that makes people sick if they drink alcohol - maybe thats my only hope, cause I have enough willpower to pop that pill in the morning before I have time to be temped by alcohol.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in buddy. You are not alone here.

Maybe give AA another chance. You are not going there to make friends, you are going there to get sober and friends are a side effect.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Orbhammer,

I'm not very charismatic either and it has taken me over a year of going to AA to finally start to meet some people in the program. I can now say I have a couple of friends in the program and know a lot of people. The longer I keep going, the more people I meet there. The fact that it does get better thanks to AA is the thing that is keeping me sober. It takes time and a lot of hard work, though. Just start going to a couple of meetings regularly and speak up and let everyone know you are a newcomer. Keep saying something every couple of meetings and people will start to get to know you. AA is the only place I have found to see other alcoholics face to face on a regular basis.

I was pretty isolated too, but am much more outgoing than I was. If I can do this, you can.

My life is so much better, but it didn't come right away. Give a meeting (or a dozen) a try

Jup.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey hammer
im sorry you are feeling that way--there are no lowlifes--everybody is a person doing there best--that pill you refer to is antabuse and it saved my life--i recommend it to people who cant get sober--you are not terrible beacuse you live in a trailer or anything else--i hop so much for you!!
Laura
Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

It is one thing to try AA and it is another to work it. The difference being is...sobriety. Give it a serious shot. It may make the difference between sobriety and a lifetime of living in an alcoholic haze.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear there is a pill that makes people sick if they drink alcohol - maybe thats my only hope, cause I have enough willpower to pop that pill in the morning before I have time to be temped by alcohol.
I know people who took the pill and still drank. They said the after effects were shear h3ll. You still have to have the strongest desire to NOT drink even using Antabuse. It's not a miracle, just an aid.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ig's great to see a new member...Welcome!

And you have made progress..

I did use Antabuse in early recovery and it helped

When I drank...all my friends were drinkers.
Now that I am sober all my friends are sober ones.

And I found them in AA!

You never stayed sober long enough before to get a clear idea of the AA life.

Just keep in focus...you too can win over alcoholism!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Give AA another real chance. You know as they say, try it the AA way and if that doesn't work, they will gladly refund your misery. It just may save your life.

I Know you can do this. It won't be easy but people find recovery every day and there are miracles and examples all around. Check out the stories of recovery here on SR. It is very inspirational. If they can do it, so can you. All you have to do is keep reaching out, become willing to do what the work, and never stop believing. Keep on moving forward... all it takes is just one day at a time...

I believe in you.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Orbhammer, glad to have you here...It is hard to stop drinking or using..change is hard, and that is something you will have to do..i know how it feels to not be social, and i too am alone most of the time other than my daughter, who doesn't talk, walk, ect..my husband is working a lot..so i rely on my puter for a lot of support..when you first go to AA, of course we all think we are "uniqe", so friends are held at bay, but like anything else, you have to give it time..you will be amazed at the friendship that pours your way..there is a pill, it is called antibuse, and yes, as said before, people will drink with it, but if you can find a dr. that you are willing to talk to, and you are willing to admit that you are alcoholic and truly want help, there is another pill to get through the "desire" of wanting to drink..it is called Naltrexone..or Revia..it is costly, but nowhere near as costly as saving your life..You can do it..You can pull yourself up with the determination that you have and find that you have the strength, with your HP to give yourself the life you deserve..i have drank all my life too..i too am 36, and i too was just sick and tired of being sick and tired..all i wanted to do was put the bottle down, remember the night before, and live a full life, but i found that i couldn't do it alone, or without the 12 Steps, of your choosing..AA was my choice, but there are other 12 Step's available..i have learned so much from the people here at SR, and apparently you want the help, or you wouldn't be here, and IMO, that is a big step, to come and share your darkest, deepest secrets to strangers..get phone numbers from the ones you meet at AA or support group..they have been where you are, or worse, and they know how to help, and they are their to help you..as are we..keep posting, and keep coming back..best wishes to you...
Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got on antabuse and let me tell you that stuff saved my life. You have no choice but to not drink- its not a cure all but hell it can jump start the process. It broke the cycle and forced me and I say forced me to find alt. again you don't have a choice if you drink you wish you had not. Good luck
Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

and for those of you wondering, ive tried AA, but like I said I dont make friends among normal people, and I didnt in AA, so I gave up on that.
Well I dont know what kind of meetings you tried, but they couldnt of been AA. We are a group of the most disfuctional,cheating,thieving, and lying bunch of people you can get in one room. I knew I fit right in .

I am glad you found us here, and stick around please..

But maybe just maybe think about getting back to some more meetings , it can take some time if your quite. But if you keep going to the same ones and go a little early and stay a little late, I can gaurantee you met at least one person that you can hang out with..

I can totaly relate to only living with the "lowest of the low" . I didnt know anyone that wasnt a complete drunk or addict in my life. But I went to those people in AA and I kept going , over year later . I have more true friends in my life than I could of ever imagined..

Its hard to quit, but truly its harder to keep on the path of drinking ..
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Great that you got this far. The first week is the toughest. A sober life is worth going for. It does get better.

I assume AA is full of drunks who got sober. Maybe they are like us
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a thread from 2006 guys.
Hope the OP's doing better these days.

D
Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

OOOPS thanks Dee.. I hope he is better also..
Old 08-31-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Buy the BB of AA and read it with a hi-liter, marking the things that make sense to you.

The AA meetings will eventually make sense, it depends how much you want to be sober and learn how to live sober.
It's easier living sober, more money in pocket and no longer have to deal with how to drink.
We all have these early "fears" when getting sober and going to parties, functions or where ever there is alcohol.
Learn to not fear going there, just fear what will happen once ya put down first drink.
Sure some may say, "one drink won't hurt you" etc etc,
But it does, it can take a spoon-full of alcohol to make the body crave for more.
Surrendering to the drinking game is the better option, life is far bigger than a glass of alcohol....
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Most of my friends are homeless alcoholics too. Sure does make it harder.... Hang in there.