Notices

High On Life

Old 07-19-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

High On Life

So besides rocking on the sobriety bus, what does everyone do to gain those similar feelings of joy that you used to get (once upon a time) from drinking?

It felt like drug ('cause it was), and all your worries just disappeared and you never wanted it to end -- like Woodstock in a glass. And that was the PROBLEM!!! ... At least it was for me anyway. I wasn't facing life or dealing with my emotional issues because I just wanted the party to never end, at least during the nights I'd go out, (and then pay the price in anguish the rest of the week).

Perhaps I'm just still too new to sobriety (today is day 19)... Perhaps I simply need to recapture those same type of joyous feelings that I used to have before I started my drinking days, (sometimes I wonder if I still have the potential).

Perhaps I simply need to realize that those alcohol induced "highs" which felt so high and were paid so for dearly in anguish and pain... that those "extremes" were the part of the problem -- the "instant escape and joy"... And what I need to realize is that a much DEEPER and PERMANENT satisfaction and joy comes from things that are real and not artifically induced.

Sure, the skyrocket is pretty and it captures your attention, but a candle burns much longer, provides more longer lasting light for EVERYONE and actually gives off some warmth.

But I'm babbering again -- I guess parts of my brain are still waking up from being numbed for so long.

So what does everyone do with their sobriety? What gives you joy in life these days?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

What gives me joy now is the peacefulness of my life. Drinking for me involved a lot of chaos in my life because I always attempted to hide my drinking from everyone. So, the chaos itself became addictive. I am so grateful to be able to live a peaceful life now. And, if I'm craving excitement it would be going to a rock concert (my very favorite activity) or travelling.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I live in joy with God's Grace
and by helping others find sobriety.

Glad to see you are moving forward
Congratulations on 19 days!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Thanks Carol! (You keep mesmerizing me with those pom-poms!)

I'm told the silver 30-day chips are made from recycled beer cans, *handcuffs* and shackles. I fully intend to collect my chip!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I enjoy the little things in life that I never took the time to notice before. Things I couldn't be bothered with or take the time to enjoy. I was usually to concerned about my next drink to care. Such as a child experiencing something for the first time and the wonderful expression on their face. The beauty of nature and the kidness of someone with a illuminating spirit. There is nothing like a great belly laugh to bring a guranteed smile to remember for years to come. These are simple things, but things of great beauty.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Talking

What gives me joy is knowing that Just For Today, WE never have to use again, living life on life's terms, enjoying the struggles and the other times that are not as bad. Knowing that today, I have peace inside of my soul, something that I have been looking for, searching for, and something that sobritey has given me this time around. So many things that bring me joy.

Seeing my children this week brought me joy, watching Chance grow gives me joy, and being here at SR gives me joy. So many things that give me joy and God is on top of that list.

Love Vic

OH Yes the Sobriety
Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I enjoy being able to cherish my friends and family instead of hurting them and taking them for granted. Now in sobriety, I care for their needs instead of always selfishly gratifying my own at their expense. I can enjoy real conversations, laughter, and activities and as I enjoy what is placed in front of me, I will be able to remember it. I'm also finding so much more peace that I had. I used to live in constant turmoil but today, I find myself becoming increasingly more open-minded to the world around me.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

Originally Posted by GreenTea
Sure, the skyrocket is pretty and it captures your attention, but a candle burns much longer, provides more longer lasting light for EVERYONE and actually gives off some warmth.
Thanks for that and congrats on 19 days!!

Try to focus on those relationships that maybe you neglected while you were drinking. You may be able to make a deeper connection.

What I have done for the last year is to rediscover those hobbies I used to have before I "didn't have the time" (because I was drinking!) I have read TONS of recovery books, which has actually been fun!! Having those light bulb moments of recognition has been amazing. See people when you need to. It's summer -- time to do things outdoors!! Go for walks, bike rides, whatever!

Most of all, just think about how much better your life is now that you are sober and congratulate yourself on each new sober day!

Love to you!
Saz
Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How well I know that feeling of not wanting the party to end, and sometime it ended with my face the concrete or beign driven home by the cops cause i was to drunk to to walk or worse passed out in my drivway with the car still running.

Maybe the party isn't as exiting sober, maybe the party was boring then but we were to druk to relize it. But either way atleast I remember the party and I don't have anymore suprise endings.

I at day 18 and some days I am sooo tired, some days frusdtrated others bored but It's okay I can't expect to reverse 30 years of drinking in 18 days.

You gotta give it a fair chance !
Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How about bungee jumping?

I'm trying to think of things that I find joyous and exhilirating to do while sober and one thing that works for me is when I accomplish something difficult. Or master a new skill. For example, in my case, since my husband split, I was left to take care of house repairs and never had a clue. I now know (and have used) a mitre saw for crying out loud. I'm darned proud of that and it gives me great joy that I've been able to accomplish this.

Other things I'd like to do, which I'm sure will be joyous:
Learn to run a 5K and eventually a 10K race.
Learn to sew (which I am an abject failure at, and my dad was a custom tailor!)
Learn to speak Italian, so that when I turn 45 or 50 (or whenever I can afford it) I can go on a dream vacation to Italy and mingle with the locals.
Make a difference in someone's life by volunteering or helping out an elderly friend or neighbour.
Learn to paint with watercolours.
Learn to make a movie on my computer, with custom-made soundtrack.
Gosh, the list can go on and on.

I can't do any of these things drunk.

Hugs to you,
Candy Scratch
Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Isn't so awful that we truly believe that ALL of our happiness comes with a substance! Think about it! You're not alone when you doubt you'll ever find joy again without your drink/drug... Most of the world doesn't drink or use drugs. Most of the world is fairly happy, unless they live in Rwanda or Sudan or any of the other places people are fighting for their life for reasons other than self inflicted injury with booze. For some crazy reason our addiction tells us we won't be happy or can't find pleasure again if we stop.

Everyone who gets through the initial transition and doesn't hang on to the illusions of their past finds life can be as rewarding as they make it.