Notices

Scared to Death

Old 07-19-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to Death

Hi All,'
I am new to this and scared to death. I finally have decided I need to quit drinking once and for all- but I'm not sure how to go about it- I am tired of forgetting what I did the night before, having kids and hubby seeing me as a fool, doing stupid stuff, and tired of not feeling well- throwing up in the morning and having diarrhea.
I have to have blood work done tomorrow and I am scard to death that they will find something wrong. How do you go a bout recovering??? I didn;'t grow up around alcohol- but within the past 3 years I have really started getting worse about drinking- and drinking more and more - please I need some help.

recoveryforme
Old 07-19-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have come to the right place if you want help. And how do you start recovery - you start by stopping drinking. You should talk to your dr tomorrow when you're getting blood work done because it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol. If it is safe for you, then you just don't drink today and begin to move forward. You're making a great decision and you can do this!

There's lots of inspiration and information here so keep posting.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

[recoveryforme]. Great big hug. There's a start. More will come.

I agree with Anna. I also suggest AA. They're in the phone book. There's a link here to the website. It doesn't matter how much or how long you drank, it matters how it affected you. (My high school English teacher wouldn't like that sentence!) Recovery is possible. There's millions (yes, millions) of success stories. I'm one of them. My sobriety date is November 27, 1988.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you here...Welcome!..

Anna and Hector just gave you great advice...I totally agree.

Blessings to you and your family...
Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all- so what can I do tonight instead of drink- I usually started drinking when I got off work- and into the night- I do have to take clothes to be washed and folded at the laundro mat - then what?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

How about coming here and checking in for starters. Or how about picking up a good book to read. Maybe one about recovery. Good luck and welcome to SR.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first step. My only advise would be for you to tell someone you need help. Once you do that, it all falls into place.
Read my thread "Its not as hard as it could be"
Debby
Old 07-19-2006, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello recoveryforme--Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. SR is a wonderful place for support and encouragement. I hope you will stick around.

I have a question for you--What if the blood work comes back completely normal? Do you think you will still be motivated to stop drinking? Just thought that was something to think about.

I decided I'd had enough of the insanity of alcoholism a little over two years ago. It hasn't been easy, but through treatment, therapy, and AA I have managed to remain sober and my life has become so much better. You can do it, too. Find your way--it is worth it.