Notices

Stressing....need an opinion

Old 07-18-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stressing....need an opinion

I missed days of my summer class last week because of those horrible migraines. Now, I am really far behind and I'm trying to catch up but I am so overloaded and overwhelmed with all of the work. I know that I am unable to perform my best right now.... I just really can't handle the extra stress right now of catching up. I've been trying but I don't want to stick it out and end up doing poorly.

I'm thinking about dropping this summer class and taking it again in the upcoming semester. This may push my graduation back by a semester but I'd rather do that than sit here with the way I'm feeling now and come out with a bad grade.

I just don't know what to do.......
Old 07-18-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

can you talk to your professors ???? or your advisor ???
Old 07-18-2006, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My advisor is gone for the summer. I do wish I had one here now.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also, I really need this time for at least this month to focus solely on my recovery. I really need to find a sponsor and get to work on my steps. I have been unable to go to meetings as much as I'd like because I'm always tied up with school stuff and the meetings that I attend are limited in terms of who I could ask to be my sponsor. I just feel like right now, I am in a vulnerable place with all of this stress plus other stuff going on. I don't want to relapse and I am at a place when I really need to get stuff straightened out. At least I can recognize the need of doing thing. This is probably a time when I need meetings the most.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

[hope], sit down, slow down, calm yourself, take deep breaths til your heart rate drops.

There. OK, now lets look at things. I've never been a university student. Keep that in mind as you read.

You're still sober. The migraines are easing. Your course final isn't tomorrow, is it? You have some time to catch up. You don't have to do it in the next 48 hours. If you drop this course, you change your life. You'll push back your graduation a semester. Not the end of the world, but a very serious thing, not something to be done lightly.

Sobriety is the first priority, of course. Drop the course or slip? Drop the course. In a heartbeat. Try setting up a schedule for yourself. I'll work on catching up from, say, 6:30 to 8:00 AM and 4:00 to 7:30 PM, then I'm off to a meeting, then I'll read and post here for 45 minutes, then sleep (seven hours at least, every night). A realistic schedule based on your condition and requirements. ***One Day At A Time!***

I've been sober over 17 1/2 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey Hope--It really sounds like you already know what to do. How much longer until the class ends? Also, have you thought about asking your professor if you could take an incomplete? Then you would have a LOT more time to get the classwork finished.

I know how those summer classes are. They move VERY fast. I once took 9 hours in one summer. I thought I was going to die. I didn't let myself do it again.

My personal opinion is that nothing should come before your sobriety. Especially so early in the game. If you feel like this situation is threatening your sober time, then, by all means, do something to change the situation. School will always be there....

I'm rootin' for you, babe.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

From experience, I dropped the course. It was not worth my life.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much! I keep getting this really strong gut feeling to drop it as I think that is what is best for me right now. I was taking 9 hours this summer. I completed the other 2 classes about 2 weeks ago and I did really well. It is this class that I'm taking now that seems like too much for a summer class. It has really got me into that overwhelmed place.

The class has about 3.5 weeks left but if it is this way on the beginning stuff, imagine the harder work...

I would think about asking for an incomplete but the fall semester starts right after these classes end and I don't want that work to pile on top of my fall classes.

This is a really difficult class that many people struggle with and I feel like it's over my head for me to take in the summer. The others classes were ok but this one is just.............different.

I think I'd better follow my instincts on this one........
Old 07-18-2006, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hope;
Have you spoken to your professor yet?
If not, don't make any decisions. I agree it's not worth slipping over, but, it's not an either/or situation, now, is it.
Are you like me where you *have* to get an A or the world has fallen apart? What would happen if you got a C for the class? You won't flunk out of your major. You'll get your credits and not be behind.
I ask because the all or nothing stress I'm hearing in your post. And it's NOT the truth. Your disease is making you think that way. You have a choice to think otherwise, without the "absolutes." In the real world, people who get a C in a class survive, and even grow up to be the President of the USA! So , don't let an "average" grade throw you for a loop. You don't NEED to get an A to be a success. You already are successful, and I'm proud of you!

Keep up the good work!

Shalom!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Teach!

I think it is also the fact that I really need some time to get ready for the fall. I think I'm going to be burned out by the time I get through...and fall semester starts right after the summer classes end.

I really don't have the motivation that I need. I feel really bad about not putting 100% into what I need to do. My heart is just not in it right now.

I also think that I need to take an extra semester so that I don't try to overdo it and push too many classes in there just to get out faster. My advisor told me that I really need to start taking it easier on myself. I always take on too much and it is always hard for me to admit that I'm in over my head.

I really don't have any plans for after college yet. I think I need more time to figure out what I'm doing.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good Mornin!!!!!!!!
How are ya today sweetie?????? Feeling better I pray!!!!!
Love Liss
Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking Liss!
I'm doing much better today.. not as stressed out, lol! Whew,
now I was really stressing big time last night..... I am glad
that I made my decision... and it is something that I know I
did the right thing.

Love,

Cheryl