Notices

mocktails and near beer

Old 07-18-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mocktails and near beer

I had a couple sips of NA beer thinking that I wasn't the type of person who would fall into that trap based on the extremely small alcohol content. I've heard of people who don't eat things cooked with alcohol even thought the alcohol is cooked out and some people who are tempted by the alcohol content of hairspray. I certainly didn't think I was that bad. Oddly enough, I could tell that I loved the taste and feel of the beer in my hand. I loved it and wanted more. NA of course (for now). I dumped it and won't ever have it again.

It seems the general consensus is that it's dangerous for alcoholics to partake in anything that tastes, smells, or "feels" like an alcoholic beverage since it could lead to stronger cravings for the real thing and now I believe it.

Now I'd like to know what you think of "mocktails". You know, the fancy drinks with mixers, juices, ice, umbrellas, and fruit slices on the rims of fancy glasses. With not one trace of alcohol, does it fall into the same category?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it may be a bad idea to do the non alcoholic stuff.....i am tempted too though....we have a bottle of NA jose quervo margarita mix and it is soooooooooo tempting right now, if nothing more than just for the taste of a margarita without the stupid drunkness.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I haven't ever done the near-beer thing and probably won't. I don't see anything wrong with mocktails. They're fun -- nothing to do with getting drunk -- just sort of pampering yourself.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I think it is a very individual issue. Not everyone has the same type of triggers. Personally, I don't think it's worth what it costs, atleast if you're buying while out on the town. If I'm at karaoke, I'll have OJ (which actually has some naturally occuring alcohol) and grenadine or cranberry juice, with some 7-Up. It's a refreshing break from Coke or Pepsi products.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by doorknob
I'll have OJ (which actually has some naturally occuring alcohol) and grenadine or cranberry juice, with some 7-Up. It's a refreshing break from Coke or Pepsi products.
I do the exact same thing doorknob. It's fine for me and not a trigger for me But you're right it is an individual issue.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have NEVER tried the near beer because of what i heard in meetings. The truth that even tho one near beer has very low alcohol content and ud have to drink an aweful lot to get a buzz....well who the heck would want just a taste of alcohol...me if i want a taste...i want the REAL thing...and it better be alot of it because there will never be enough alcohol to satisy my craving for it.

I have tried the frozen margarita mixes or pina coloada mixes before where u add a can of water and ice to it....its like a snowball with flavor. no alcohol of course.....they are however loaded with sugar....so to keep ur girly figure those are not something to drink on a daily bases.

I didnt have a craving to go get alcohol for it because i already know what alcohol would do do me....it would kill me...so when ever a thought pops into my head..which is very rare...i emmediately get rid of it because it doesnt do any good to sit there and dream about it or intertain the idea of what it would taste like.

I wouldnt suggest fancy stuff like that when ur newly sober. That is just to close for comfort if u ask me.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Originally Posted by doorknob
I think it is a very individual issue. Not everyone has the same type of triggers. Personally, I don't think it's worth what it costs, atleast if you're buying while out on the town. If I'm at karaoke, I'll have OJ (which actually has some naturally occuring alcohol) and grenadine or cranberry juice, with some 7-Up. It's a refreshing break from Coke or Pepsi products.
I agree DK it is an individual choice. I remember at about 6 months sober I had a "business" dinner to attend and asked my sponsor what do I do, as some of my co-workers knew I was in recovery and some didn't. She suggested that whatever I ordered at the coctail hour was my choice, and told me what she used to do as she was so so tired of soda. She suggested things like OJ with 7up, Virgin Bloody Mary, Virgin Daiqari, Virgin Margarita, and she said at dinner, all I had to do was order my ice tea or coffee and to turn my wine glass upside down on the table. The biggest thing she said to me that meant the most was TO CHECK MY MOTIVES. Why did I feel it necessary to order a "virgin" anything, order what tasted good to me WITHOUT ALCOHOL IN IT. Sheesh, here I was complicating the chit out of it, never thought it could be so simple, roflmao.

You know that was many years ago and I still do the same today. I "check my motives" and go from there.

As to the NA Beers and Wines. I know they have no more alcohol in them than a same size glass of Orange Juice. I would say again......CHECK YOU MOTIVES........early in sobriety, (the first 3 or 4 years) and if you were a beer and/or a wine drinker, I personally am not too sure its a very good idea. But, again the choice is up to the individual.

J M H O

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 07-18-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

I think it is a matter of personal choice. Of course, you must keep in mind triggers that could be set off. There are variable to be considered when drinking NA beer and mocktails. Mocktails and froo-froo drinks are expensive and filled with calories. I'd rather have a glass of water.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I actually bought some bottled water yesterday. I NEVER do that. It's been pretty hot here though.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love mocktails...but do not drink near beer...The mocktails do not trigger anything with me but the near beer does...makes me want a beer, which will
lead to me wanting to use...then it's "houston we have a problem" .....
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

The important thing is that you are aware and recognize your triggers. It would be a shame to have a few NA beers lead to a relapse. It isn't worth it.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Here's my take on it--I did NOT drink alcohol for the taste. To pretend I did would be totally false. I drank to get drunk. End of story. So, why would I even want an NA beer?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Personally, I freak out and have a craving whenever I literally see a martini glass. There was once in the past month that a dessert was served in a martini glass, and I specifically didn't order it. Just the feel of a martini glass in my hand triggers the cravings. As far as near beer, I was never a beer drinker, so I wouldn't even try it. Although, virgin pina coladas are good...anything that is not served in a martini glass or has cherries in it. (I always had a cherry in my martini.)
Old 07-18-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey
I also have to say i have no interest in near beer and the like--i never liked the taste of alcohol--i loved the effect=thethought of neer beer is yuck--good luck
Laura
Old 07-18-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Exclamation Fyi

Cooking+Akcohol

The following chart data comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture with information on how much alcohol remains in your food with specific cooking methods. Keep in mind that this is the percentage of alcohol remaining of the original addition.

For more detailed information and explanation, consult the full article on Cooking With Alcohol and Alcohol Substitutions, which includes important information about how much alcohol remains in cooked foods and caution when using alcohol in frozen foods, plus tips and hints to help you make the right substitution choice. For alcohol substitutions, consult the Alcohol Substitution Chart.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Preparation Method Percent Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes cooking time 40%
30 minutes cooking time 35%
1 hour cooking time 25%
1.5 hours cooking time 20%
2 hours cooking time 10%
2.5 hours cooking time 5%

I added this to answer..
I've heard of people who don't eat things cooked with alcohol even thought the alcohol is cooked out
Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for that info, Carol. I have run across a few recipes that called for white wine, and I skipped them because I knew I couldn't have it in the house. The page is bookmarked.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Great thread!

I have had near beer a couple of times and it was not triggering for me, but I do see how it could be like playing with fire. I definitely think it is up to the individual though.

It helps me to get a near beer when we go out to dinner someplace where I use to get alcohol in the past; you know like places that I still associate with alcohol. For example, I LOVE going to OLIVE GARDEN! But I use to drink wine there and it is so hard to go there now and not have my vino. The last time we went I had a near beer and somehow it made me feel less deprived. (But my ancestry is German.... so can I claim that I just like beer for the taste? LOL). Allright, so the main reason I drank in the past was to get buzzed, or drunk. But I really did enjoy the taste too.

All I know is that "for me" the near beer was not triggering.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As far as calories are concerned, I would splurge on a special occasion just like I would in the past, rather than celebrating with water. But I can't see myself fixing fancy drinks at home and sneaking them by byself LOL!

Even though I used to mix almost everything in the house with vodka (or gin or tequilla or...) I seem to be able to drink them without wishing for the alcohol to be added. I think about it when I pour a glass of OJ or lemonade but I don't crave it. I actually crave the NA beer though.

Call me crazy, but I actually drank beer for the taste, and I have found some European NA beers that are quite delicious. Too bad.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

There are plenty of choices of drink. So why do you want to drink a "fake coctail"? If you are thirsty, will one of these solve that problem better than something else, or is there another reason you want it? If you never had that drink made with alcohol, why would you think about it now? You get the idea. There is more to the "mocktail" and "neer beer" issue than a simple "well, I just feel like it". Reward centers in the brain don't rely on, or answer to, logic.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Sometimes the trigger is more about the using ritual (opening the can/bottle, mixing the "mocktail", ordering from the bar, entering the bar, driving to the bar...) than the contents of the glass.

Do addicts who used to shoot dope sit around pondering risk/benefit analyses of shooting up a syringe-full of harmless water...?