Notices

New to this site

Old 07-17-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site

Hey guys and girls...Im new to the site and just wanted to say hello. I am having a hard time controlling my drinking habits and think i need an intervention before it gets way out of hand....I don't drink every day but when i do drink i drink way to much. I never really knew moderation and i think that is my problem....i blackout just about everytime i go out with the guys, which is about two or three times a month. It doesn't effect any other aspects of my life but i want to get it all undercontrol before i end up causing someone alot of grief.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR....I understand how hard it is to quit, I too could never keep it under control. My drug use progressed and finally I saw where I was heading.

Good luck to you,
~B
Old 07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya amd.. Welcome!
Seems to me you're a little ahead of the game because you realize you will hurt someone if you continue to drink too much. It wasn't until I really realized how selfish I was in my addiction to booze that I was finally able to think of others for a change. When we drink too much too often we get so lost inside of our own selfish little pathetic lives that thinking of others can become irrelevant in a NY minute.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.

Alcoholism is a disease and it is progressive.
I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite book on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

As explained in "Under" blackouts are a symptom
of middle stage alcoholism.

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.

Blessings...
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
Alcoholism comes in different forms. I started as a binge drinker when I was young. That turned into daily drinker and now here I am. You have found a wealth of information and support by finding these forums. Stay strong.
Liss
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello & welcome to SR! You have a good start but one thing you might want to consider is distancing yourself from those friends and maybe just from the activities that you all use to do that involve alcohol. Go to lunch during the day or something like that, go to a movie or anything that would not be the bar scene that you usually do with them so that the temptation is not there for you with them. I know that you can do this and I am proud of you for realizing that you have a problem that could eventually snowball !

GP
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is a big problem with distancing myself from them completely...I work with all of them. We don't go out every day but its very difficult to distance yourself from people that you live with for 24 hours at a time....Surprisingly enough they are being pretty supportive...i talked to one of them yesterday and he said that when we go out we don't always have to end up at bars, we can stay away from alcohol and it won't effect our friendship...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Those sound like good friends. (((hugs)))
Old 07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome! You're in a good place right here.

You're lucky to have friends that sound so great. It will make a world of difference in your success at taming your life before it gets out of control.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Hi AMD and Welcome to SR!
You will find tons of support here.

I like Carol's reminder that alcoholism is a progressive disease. Yep, I am finding that out the hard way. I have quit before, but this time it has been the hardest. I became so depressed. AA and SR really help me.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Thumbs up Good suggestions

I'll second CarolD's book recommendation(s).
Old 07-19-2006, 01:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Welcome to SR, amd, glad you posted. My drinking was not too ecsessive,
But as im an addict, the drink would have done the same to me as what i swaped it for.It was'nt until i realized i had littraly swaped one for another.!That i did something about it. I stopped for today.

So getting a handle on it NOW is the best thing you could possiably do for yourself.So many Wonderful people on SR, with an amazing gift, Sobriety.

Hugs...
Old 07-19-2006, 02:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Addict

Hi amd24,

It's such a great thing that you recognize there is a problem before it causes severe damage. May of us get too involved too quick to see it coming. So you're already on the right track.

Your friends sound pretty cool. If they support you and will do their best to help you stay away from dangerous alcohol situations, that's wonderful. But always remember, no matter what happens, you are the most important thing right now. Figuring yourself out and making sure you are healthy have got to be #1.

Good luck with everything. We're all here for you.

Jennifer
Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AMD.....
How are you today???? Keep us posted!!!
Liss
Old 07-19-2006, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR AMD..Hope you keep coming around..
Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi amd24. Welcome to SR. Like you, I started off as a binge drinker which lead to daily drinking. Have you read "Smashed: The Story of a Drunken Girlhood"? It's a book about a woman about your (and my) age who has issues with binge drinking. I highly suggest it. Keep posting and surf around the sites here. You can learn a lot. We're all here for you.