Have you Noticed

Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you Noticed

In England, 'belief' seems to not really matter much. People, where I work at least, seem caught up in a flow of family, hobbies, work, relationships. I like it - its kind of new humanisim, I think. No real philosiphical bent other than to enjoy life. I think England, well the well off parts, are more and more trying to enjoy life. There is less intensity in peoples conversations. Less fear.

Just me.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think England, well the well off parts, are more and more trying to enjoy life. There is less intensity in peoples conversations. Less fear.
Uhmmmm.... I'm not so sure. I think there's plenty of fear of losing the things accumalated, downsizing a house or Asylum seekers leading to universal bankruptcy. I think there's fear of crime and suspicion of those who are different, fear of criticism or complaint at work, and fear of not fitting in.

I agree that I think 'deep' conversations are getting rarer but maybe that's because we have one party politics.

I think it's a great pity not to talk about meaningful things, or even just fun things but in a meaningful way. The songs and films that address that stuff do well so I don't think it's global lack of care - just a change of culture.

Sometimes at work I mention wanting or believing something 'from the heart' and often about remembering people are very human and have feelings. Yesterday while discussing statistical risk and safeguarding standards I pointed out on the end of every number is someone that got hurt, a child supposedly protected by us that got hurt. At first it was recieved with a bit of shock I think but people quickly agreed, most folk know me a little or a lot by now so the shock lessens over time.

I suppose I wanted to play a part being the change I wished to see in my world. I don't REALLY know how it goes down though. I think maybe one result is that I perhaps get more than most of people talking to me the same way. I think if I attempted it without also being meticulous in referencing and researching my own work then it'd be laughed at.

The guys that run our local kebab (Asian) shop told us they loved us the other night and I said we love them too!!!