Notices

Why do i have still some of my bad habits from drinking

Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do i have still some of my bad habits from drinking

I understand that it takes time to change, But what are some helpfull hints to change some of my ways that I have? I try and I try to get rid of some of my bad habits and loosing my temper like i did when I was drinking. I am running out of ideas and need some help.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Are you working a program? Change doesn't just happen. You have to make it happen. Welcome...
Old 07-09-2006, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Taking drinking out of your life leaves a big hole, and can leave you feeling pointless and under pressure. Try some new activities or hobbies - go out and have an adventure! You have a new life to fill up with wonderful things!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

It's great to see a new member.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I am in a program and doing meetings
Old 07-09-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Greetings Shemp,
It's my experience that not until you surrender your will, to move beyond your own best thinking (ideas), will you be able to receive the help that's available to you. "Helpful hints" sound like tidying up around the house. When perhaps what you seek is a thorough reorganizational cleaning. Have you made serious effort to find help? It's within your reach today...

and I see you posted that you are "in a program and doing meetings." But you're not finding what you need in this? Curious what kind of help you're looking for...
Old 07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When stuff really started to change for me was when I did my 4th and 5th steps... It was right there in black and white where I had been selfish, dishonest and inconsiderate to myself and others. At that point in my life I just wanted to be "recovered" Acting selfish and being inconsiderate or dishonest were all the things I did NOT want to be any longer. So, I began to think think think before I acted and my entire world changed.
I wish you the same!
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you for your advice. that is something I have not been doing, i have just been acting.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am finding the help with my non drinking. I feel that I am missing something and I just cant find what it is that I am missing.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Welcome to SR, Shemp. Do you have a sponsor yet? Are you working the steps? Like Michski, I also began to get some relief after doing my fourth and fifth steps, and then again after doing my eighth and ninth. The most important thing I had to do was give myself some time. I had to forgive myself whenever I did something wrong, fess up if necessary, and do whatever I could to make the wrong right.

I also found the Serenity Prayer very useful. Whenever I felt myself getting upset, angry, going off the deep end, I would recite the prayer and try to apply the words to the situation. Which parts did I have no control over? What could I change about the situation? And then I would try to do it.

My best advice is to talk to your sponsor on a regular basis. If you don't have a sponsor, make that your first priority. It really helps to have someone to go to who has been there before, who really knows what you are going through.

In the meantime, keep posting! I'm glad you found us!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

It takes time. Keep working at it. Working with a sponsor and doing the steps is when I started finding some peace within myself.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welll....I started working in my yard. Trimmed the heck out of my shrubs...planted a bunch of Cana's....and been watering the damn things everyday.....TWICE! Mowing the lawn....um....painting....all the "Honey Do" stuff I wanted my huzband to do...I now enjoy it.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Shemp, welcome to the forum.

Really dive into the program - meetings, sponsor, 12 steps, the whole spectrum.

Attending meetings is like going to classes in college, once you're there a while you'll have to start applying yourself. It turns in 'work'... but the payoff is really worth it (a new you).

As far as losing one's temper and other 'character defects', you'll most likely find that these personal nuances are within you regardless of the substance abuse and they must be addressed.

Good luck and congrats on making the move toward a better life.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi shemp and welcome. I love the 3 stooges

it takes time and more importantly "practice" to change. I have to practicing behaving in different ways. when anger comes up what do I do? what is my habit?

and if I don't want that habit then i ask myself what can i do differently? how do i deal with this anger.

one of the hardest things for me to do when I am angry at someone is to simply say to them that "I AM ANGRY AT YOU", from a non-threatening and honest place
Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I understand that it takes time to change, But what are some helpfull hints to change some of my ways that I have? I try and I try to get rid of some of my bad habits and loosing my temper like i did when I was drinking. I am running out of ideas and need some help.
This may sound juvenile. It is indeed taught to children but works for me. When someone offends me and causes me to become angry I use an "I message". (I know, I know...just hear me out because it REALLY WORKS for me and might work for you too!)

I feel (insert emotion), when you (insert behavior) because (insert explanation).

This helps me not only express myself in a non threatening way, but it helps me understand exactly what is bothering me in the first place.

Hope this helps!

Liberty~
Old 06-23-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

FYI,

Though Shemp is still a member of SR, this thread is two years old.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Dang. And I had a good response for him......
Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
FYI,

Though Shemp is still a member of SR, this thread is two years old.

Thanks,

Liberty