Notices

I was in alot of pain!!

Old 07-06-2006, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mr .HELP ME I HAVE KIDS

Talking I was in alot of pain!!

Hey well,here goes ,Yesterday afternoon while trying to get up the stairs I slipped and my injured back already was killing me so i called my dr and went in he prescribed me Vicodin Es.

He also gave me a speech when getting them that i was to give them to my wfe and she was to give them to me per pain only.

Well i was i little angry that he said that because i didnt abuse the drugs he gave me in the first place i just used them for pain is all i ever did .well

To get back to the subject ,would this be considered a backslide with my pill sobriety,remember this when you answer i still have all the pain from the day one of the injusry and i do have 2 slipped and 3 burdt dics with a radiculopathy which sends excruciating pain down my leg like fire.

I have only taken 1 in the day i have had them but I really dont want to go through all that wd's again.

I did take it cause my back was attrociously painfull to the point that it was causing me to tear up( Im a man I refuse to say cry )lol

I hope i didnt disappoint anyone but it was really painful and i needed some rest to get over it....

Just in alot of pain and needed to stop it I swear i will not abuse it in fact i will only use it at night till the pain stops.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Tim,

That is too bad that you hurt your back.

Just my opinion of course, but I don't think anyone needs to suffer in severe pain and I would absolutely not judge you for taking one pill today. Goodness knows we don't want you to cry.

I understand you not wanting to go through withdrawls again and I don't know much about the drug, but maybe someone will be able to give you more information.

The thing is Tim, we all know what is the right thing to do, we just have to do that.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey

Hey Timmm,

I have been clean and sober for fourteen years. However, I did use percocet and then tylenol 3 after back surgery in January. I have been told by counselors and AA members that sometimes you have no choice. I took them as perscribed, instead of abusing them as I used to do. Now I'm ok with the pain and don't need the pills.

Your pain seems chronic. If you need something, then I guess you should take it as long as you don't abuse the pills. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable saying this so I hope some others come along with advice.

Hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Carol
Old 07-06-2006, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Timm,

The thing is Tim, we all know what is the right thing to do, we just have to do that.

I think Anna is right on with what she said. That's my feelings.
Be very careful. It's a slippery slope for anyone recovering to take
pain killers, especially so soon.

Even if you never abused them, if you end up taking them for long, or you take many, you will end up back in withdrawals just like the last time.

Everytime I ever went back, I was right back at square one. I did abuse them though. Only you know what is right and wrong for you. I think maybe giving them to your wife isn't a real bad idea though. What can it hurt.? You don't want to go back to the beginning, it's to hard..

Have you considered asking your doctor for some real strong prescription
ibuprophen? I have heard many people here on this site, and in my meetings that have had everything from root canals to other painful work done, and used those real strong ibuprophens,. They work wonders, evern tried them?
Maybe they are worth a shot, better than the agaony of withdrawal.

Also, remember, our addicted minds will tell us alot of things, we can even lie to ourselves really well, when it comes to our addictions. Addiction is a baffling, lying, stealing disease..

I hope i didnt disappoint anyone
Timm, this isn't about disappointing anyone. This is just about you being well..

My prayers are with you,,

I hope you feel better Timm,
Love,
Becky
Old 07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What I hear shared in the rooms of AA when this comes up is "Taken as prescribed." Lots of people turn them over to a friend, sponsor, significant other to be doled out "as prescribed" and others can do it themselves but as long as you are aware of what you are doing and have measures in place to NOT abuse them then personally I don't see how it could be a backslide.

JMHO,
Kellye
Old 07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

My name is Vic and I am an addict. Glad to be here alive and clean. Using medication that is prescribed is OK just so we don't abuse the prescription and start taking more than what we are suppose to. I know how the pain is Tim. I have two crushed disks in my back, I have had sever pain sometimes when I over due it, like last week . But when I focus of something else the pain lessons. I don't take pain pills for it, although I could. Yep I can get about anything that I want from a Doctor. But I don't, I do take my sike medication, and my anti D's, but other than that I might soak in a hot tub, and relax that takes the pain away or a heating pad. OK good to see you.

Love Vic
Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have not disappointed me and I don't consider this a slip! A slip is when you abuse them, not when you take them as prescribed! You did what you had to do but you did it right! Take care of yourself!

GP
Old 07-06-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Timm we are not doctors!!! Your doctor is obviously aware of your past problems as it was suggested you turn your pain pills over to your wife and have her dispense them as needed.

Only you will know when you have crossed over the line from using the prescription for 'legitimate pain" and when you are using it for something else.

Taking them as prescribed, DOES NOT BREAK YOUR SOBRIETY.

The fact that you were wiling to post your concerns here and risk getting 50 different opinions, from 50 different answers, shows serious you are. You will do fine. Stay in touch with your doctor. Work with your doctor and your doctor will work with you.

When we are in constant pain, it is extrememly difficult to get to a 'fit spiritual condition.' Sometimes it is necessary, no many times, depending on the person's health, is is necessary to take pain medications to get some relief from the jarring physical pain that can wear a person down.

I would also suggest that you speak with your doctor about getting a 'referral' to a pain clinic. They are having great success with and electrode thingy (Jerry Lewis the comedian had one implanted and has been literally pain free from back pain since). There are other ways also of 'controlling' pain and some visits to a 'certifed' pain clinic could only help.

J M H O

I will keep you in my prayers.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr .HELP ME I HAVE KIDS

Smile Thanks

I have turned the pills over to my wife,She is in control of themand only dispenses them to me upon request at night for sleep through the pain.

I never abused the pills,I followed Drs. orders always but one day i woke up and said this is crazy i dont remember half of the past year so I myself took myself off the pills.

I know now that i have this pain and will have it forever but that i cant tAKE THEM in the daytime to get rid of the pain i will only use them for pain in the evening.

I truly dont feel like im messing up my sobriety or cleanliness by using them as I am using them for pain and not for the general high.

Thanks for all the responses just needed a push and a little advise to wheter i was doing Ok by using these.

It is only 1-2 a night and it isnt percocet its vicoden .

If i wanted to be on the pills again all i waould have to do is ask ,and could get them again,I choose to be clean and I know I am responsible for me.

Well Thanks alot and Gr8 to know so many here fell the way i do .

Old 07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((((Tim)))))
I'm so sorry that you are in pain. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

I am DELIGHTED that you followed your doctor's orders and gave the pills to your wife! That was the PERFECT responsible action!

Good luck, peace and serenity to you as you keep on keeping on.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

TIMMMM;

I am in the SAME BOAT with terrible chronic back pain! I have herniated disks in my neck and my lower back, with radiopathy(sp???) pain down my left leg to the point of my leg giving out and dragging a lot, and pain in my arms and shoulders so back I cannot lift my own head up some days! So I know how it feels! I am a narcotics addict and have abused pills in the past, but lately I have only taken EXACTLY what I need, and I find that when I take the pills properly (like you are doing) that they do their job much better and I have less pain. I don't get high from narcotic pain meds anymore, but I have to be EXTREMELY careful and let a family member give me only one days worth of medication at a time, but that's me. You may be able to handle you pain medication now because you have more recovery than I do, I don't have much sober time (about 2 weeks now, going on 3) so I can still have one pill only when I'm crying in pain (I can handle more pain than I used to think I could), but at least I know I don't have to suffer, and neither should you! We should keep in touch via PM, because I don't know a lot of narcotics addicts that have active chronic pain and have to live day to day with it and also with addiction. Hang in there! You're doing great!

Luv

Jaz
Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr .HELP ME I HAVE KIDS

Thumbs up Me too!!

Hey jaz,

thanks for sharing ,Most of what you said is me I ave the chronic pain to the point of tears ,I have been off them for a while and just bit my tounge and beared the pain but when i slipped on the steps it got to the point i couldnt bear it. please keep in touch and i as well have my wife controling my dosing,

I didnt abuse but i didnt want to be high all the time ,I cant live with kids like that constantly.

So lets keep in touch and have a gr8 day !!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i'm going through the same questions in my own situation with chronic pain... do you guys have any advice for me?