Notices

Alternative to iced tea?

Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
4/23/2006 and counting

Question Alternative to iced tea?

Arrrrgh! I am so tired of drinking iced tea! I drink plenty of water (with crushed ice - yum!), but I seem to have the worst craving for a beer when I'm working on dinner or sitting down to watch baseball in the evening. I'm keeping plenty of iced tea in the fridge as well as making espresso by the quart and making myself a huge latte when I need (want) it. I try to limit myself to one Coke a day, as I cannot seem to get used to diet drinks (I think I'd rather have a Diet Coke enema than drink one).

Anyone have any suggestions to keep on top what is as much habit as craving?

On another topic, being new to both sobriety and message boards, what is the general etiquette for the number of topics to start? I hate to throw up a new thread every time I have a question, but maybe I'm the only one who worries about such things....

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My favorite is lime squeezed into mineral water... A whole lot of lime! Sometimes if I want to be fancy I throw in some cranberry juice. Peach juice with mineral water is awesome too!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drink sparkling water with a twist of lemon or lime. Also homemade lemonade is pretty satisfying. Sparkling grape juice or apple juice spritzers are good too. (I guess I really like bubbles, I'm noticing...)

As for the second part of your question -- sorry, no idea, but I imagine that if it's important to you, it's OK to post.

Candy Scratch
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just took a health class. The teacher said that caffeine dehydrates you so that you need to drink twice as much water as the caffeinated beverage. And of course caffeine is a drug, one that a lot of people use compulsively in early sobriety, or long-term sobriety for that matter. Of course thirst for a downer (beer) is going to happen when you're using an upper all the time.

Unlike beer, you can get away with cutting down to one or two a day, though I've gone without for long periods of time. I'm trying one cup of jasmine tea a day right now due to a recommendation by an acupuncturist, and that seems to be all I need.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love cranberry or pomegranite juice mixed half & half with sparkling water.

This is the only forum I've ever posted on, so I'm not much help in the "netiquette" department. But like Candy Scratch said, if it's important to you, post it!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like water with a lemon slice. As far as diet drinks, just once try a diet Dr. Pepper. I don't like regular Dr. Pepper and don't really like diet coke but as far as a GOOD diet drink, diet Dr. Pepper is the best one I have ever had in my life. Also the Crystal Lite series offers so good stuff and you can mix them up. My kids just made some koolaid but they mixed grape & lemonade. It was really good.

If you have a question and can work it into a post without hijacking the thread then that is a good way but if not, start one. If it is not in direct relation to recovering then you might want to start one in the Cafe' forum. It is just for general things. This thread would also work there as well. Not to say that you can't put it here but this is the type of question that would do good there too.

GP
Old 07-06-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, I forgot--Fresca tastes good. Not "diet-ey" at all.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are You drinking caffinated or decaf tea? Im am a caffine junkie bigtime but one thing and step at a time for me, getting rid of the alcohol had to come first so I drink diet coke and water most of the time but I have switched from coffee to decaf tea in the mornings and have found that it helps, maybe iced decaf will too?? The Fruit H20 is really good flavored water too.......if your in the mood for something more like beer, try lemonade that is a bit more tart then sweet, this helps me anyway. Good Luck
Liss
Old 07-06-2006, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LEARNING TO LIVE AGAIN

Drink diet Pepsi then lmao i have to be sick of diet pepsi to drink anything else green MONSTER is the best when I GET CRAVINGS .......EASY DOES IT
Old 07-06-2006, 06:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

Here is a link to our SR Policies

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15058

You did great with the above post..continue to share
so we can help.

I drink all the time...just not alcohol.

Glad to see you here...Sobriety Rocks!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

OK, here's my list: diet Coke or diet Pepsi with lime, diet dr pepper, fresca, diet mountain dew, apple juice, blue gatorade, raspberry fruitopia, raspberry iced tea... I was a long-haul trucker for nine years.

How many threads to post? How many does it take to keep you sober? How important to your sobriety is your question? Keep posting, we like to know how you're doing. An alternative to beer is a VERY important question.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

In addition to, well... green tea... I also drink a lot of lemonade. At times I'll have a glass or two of caffeine free Coke for a change.

A number of years ago when I was struggling with issues, I tried switching to non-alcoholic beer, (also known as "near beer"). I remember it satisfying the desire for "having a beer" while allowing me not to use alcohol. I gave up on it though because I couldn't find one that didn't either taste like crap or else didn't have a nasty after-taste.

What's the consensus on those? How non-alcoholic are "non-alcoholic" beers? Are they actually safe to use while in recovery? Have they improved any? Does anyone know?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Non alcoholic beers do have a trace of alcohol.
Read the label as they differ by brands.

No they will not make you drunk.
Yes they taste rotten
Yes they are a tease that leads some users back to real beer.
If you are using some meds...especially Antabuse.. they are dangerous.

This is true tor non alcoholic wines too.

No I do not drink or eat or even smell booze.
I worked too darn hard for my recovery.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Tea without ice?

I drink in recovery and life

I just don't drink alcholol or take anything that effects me above the neck.

Kevin
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been making fruit smoothies, and for a change my kids get to drink them too lol
Old 07-08-2006, 11:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Never Giving Up

Unhappy

This topic has been a challenge for me as well, because when I got sober (one of my previous attempts) my counselor recommended I go to the grocery store and cruise down the beverages aisle and find something I like to drink as an alternative to my alcohol. Well, everything was a trigger on that aisle, as I had used just about everything as a mixer with my vodka, INCLUDING iced tea! About the only thing I can drink is ice water with a little lemon, no triggers there. But cranberry juice, orange juice, tomato juice, coke, sprite, root beer, etc...too many memories. Just about anything in a glass with ice can look alcoholic to me. (Sigh)
Old 07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Iced water with a single lemon slice. And a lot of ice. Also the Crystal Lite diet drink. I hate diet drinks generally but that cuts my thirst like nothing.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm with ya!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Lattes are yummy! That's my new reward on Friday nites - a big iced mocha latte from Cinnabon, and a giant sugar cookie from Blue Chip Cookies! YUM!

Maybe try different types of tea? Raspberry tea is good.