another update.....

Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another update.....

Well everything is going good so far.....When my AH got into rehab they took a bunch of blood and whatnot and then told him they did not feel he needed to go into detox so they put him in a regular bed from the begining....they told him the next day that his blood work had come back and as most of you might remember he had been diagnosed with cirrhosis in feb 2005....well this dr says he does not have cirrhosis that he was misdiagnosed....we in 2005 one of his liver tests came back abnormal but not the other i dont remember which one it is but i think his ALT came back abnormal but his AST came back fine.....they did an ultrasound that said he has fatty infiltration of the liver but he also has a kidney disease and the dr said after all of his tests came back fine that chances are his kidney disease is taking a toll on his liver but that he has no signs whatsoever of cirrhosis so that was a huge weight off my shoulders cause the dr that diagnosed him said he's only have 2-3 years to live if he continued to drink....I still think he should have another ultrasound to check on things....and everyone has been telling me we should try to sue this dr but i dont see the point dr's misdiagnose people all the time.....Anyways my first thought was that he would want to come home and go back to drinking but i got to go see him on sunday and he said no he's staying for the duration of the treatment and that it's not as bad as he thought it would be...he said they are helping him alot with counseling and he had gained 5 lbs in 4 days.....so far so good....i know this isn't anything set in stone that it will stay like this....we had to attend family counseling for the first little while of the visit and the guy that taught it said this isn't something you only worry about for the first few months or years that this is something he will battle for the rest of his life....this guy was a recovering drug addict and alcoholic and he's been sober for 12 years and he says that he never tells anyone he will never drink again cause he doesn't know but that he tells everyone i'm not going to drink today cause you can only take it one day at a time.....so for now i'm very happy about his progress and hope it continues but who knows what the future holds i'm just going to support him and try to help myself get through this and deal with some problems i have....well thanks for listening if you got this far...

Jessica
Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Jessica and welcome to SR...

Happy that your H is trying to get sober...

I'm even happier to see that you are willing to get help as well.

Are you going to try Alanon? I'm sure there is a group at the local rehab or hospital to join.

Remember to try 5 or 6 different meetings until you find one that you are comfortable with.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jessica , Thank you for the update.
Your A sounds good. However we never know, thats why it is "One day at a time" That is true of everyone, most just don't think of it.

All of us should make today the best ever. So the saying, "don't go to bed angry" is a very good one.
Hopeing for the best for you both. Keep us posted.