What's going on....

Old 07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's going on....

Hi there. I haven't had much time to write anything for a long time. It's been hot here, in Canada, where I live. Probably not hot for a lot of you but for us in this area it's been scorching. It gets extremely warm in our house so the baby and I vacate whenever possible. We've had alot of fun lately. We went to the lake twice, into the spray parks and had the big pool set up outside. E loves to swim and has a great time in the water. He's 10 months old now. Way too big! I can't believe my little baby almost disappeared already! I go back to work in less than a month now. I'll miss him way too much. I do already and he's not gone yet! I'm sure I'm going to cry. I've been trying to win the lottery so I don't have to go back but unfortunately no such luck yet. lol I did join the gym a couple of weeks ago and that's making me feel a whole lot better now. ( G needs it too since he's not drinking he likes to eat. Oh well, I'll take a chubby one over a drunk one any day!) Ssssh don't tell him I said that part.

G is still doing very well also. He did move back in not too long ago. Still sober! Yay! He still goes to his meetings twice a week with not a single ounce of bugging from me necessary. He got a new job and works loooong hours. It helps to keep him out of trouble he says..... well sort of. He hasn't had a drink however they appear to have some pretty loose rules regarding alcohol where he works. Twice now someone has brought beer mostly on the weekends and later at night. His bosses even! Of course, they are also the sort of guys that give him the old, "Oh come on, you can have one." So far he hasn't but he said it's been hard. Came home shaking and went out to speak to his sponser. The last time, the guy even put it right into his hand. He said he held it till he walked away and then put it back. He's not sure if he should just tell them he doesn't drink or not. Still kind of embarrased that it's a problem for him. It wouldn't be so hard if they didn't goad him into it. That's all he needs. I have to say it was very nice having a whole long weekend with a sober guy. We went camping and took the baby out all over. It was really fun. I have never been camping with him when he hasn't been drinking. Not that it's all easy though. I don't really see him that much between his working long hours and than going to meetings when he's not. He's still bossy sometimes and when he gets a little stressed he's like a bear with a sore rear end. I'm learning to accept the not perfect parts. It's not really hurtful so much as annoying. Again, I can handle the bear over the drunk.

Not all good news here unfortunately. The bad news is very bad and still not easy to talk about. My dad is still extremely ill. His liver problems get worse by the day. He had to go for a million tests last month and we are waiting to see if he's elligible for a transplant. The transplant is the only thing left at this point. If he does, he has two choices. He can wait till a cadaver liver comes up but that would probably take 2-2 1/2 years or we can apply to be living donors. Of course my mom and I, have already volunteered. It's kind of scary, not that it would kill us most likely but because it's quite the operating and requires alot of recovery. Worse on the donor apparently. I'd do it anyway though. They can do that one within 6 months. He can and will probably live another 10-20 years if he gets it. So far he's refusing the live transplant because he doesn't want anyone else to suffer. I've told him that the few months of recovery after the surgery would not be as bad as living the rest of my life knowing we could have saved his and didn't. We are pretty sure he does not have 2-2 1/2 years. I think he knows that. No one can force him to accept it but we are sure trying. He so far has quit drinking and is sticking pretty well to the diet they gave him. He still has to quit smoking though. Me too if I end up being the donor. I'll have to start working on that.

Well that's it for now. I hope everyone is doing well. Cross your fingers for me that my dad can get the transplant. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

very sorry to hear your dad is progressing in his illness. prayers out to your dad, you and your family - may you be surrounded by healing and love.

sounds like G is really making the effort to take his recovery seriously. looks like he got thru a tough time without drinking.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Prayers for your dad and good news about G. Thanks for checking in.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry about your dad's health. Real Bummer on that quit smoking.

I loved my hubby's grumbling. Just wished I would have
learned sooner to say, "You may be right", "I'll think about that", "what do you think would work better" etc. If when and where it fits.

Seems like it doesn't work to try to cheer them, or to tell them not to worry about it, or "Shut up".
Just a suggestion, each person different. The A's are sensitive, and on edge,
alcohol was their Rx for all those things.

I hope everything works out.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((((Aquiana)))))
Old 07-07-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ICU

(((Aquiana))),

I will keep you, your Dad, and your whole family in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Aquiana))) I am very sorry.

More prayers going out to you, your dad and the rest of your family
Old 07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the prayers everyone. He really needs as many as he can get. I've been not so patiently waiting for news on his transplant status. Apparently, he has to have a CT scan now. It's very hard to look at him. He went from being an average almost 50 yr old to looking and acting like he's about 90 in the span of 5 months. He's lost a tonne of weight, a good chunk of which is muscle mass. He's very gaunt, yellow and tired all the time. I really wish he would give up working but he's really worried about paying his bills. We're definitely hoping he realizes that he may lose some things, but it's worth it if he keeps his life. The biggest worry is they thought they might have heard something in his heart. If that's the case, they will not do a transplant. It could be just a murmer..... we hope.

G is also very upset. He and my dad were pretty good buddies. I'd say the whole thing, even though alcohol is only partially responsible for my dad's illness, has helped serve as a major kick in the pants for him. He says he isn't going to go out that way. Hopefully he doesn't forget that.

Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Praying for your Dad, and for you and all your loved ones.

Mike