Notices

Marijuana hallucinations?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Marijuana hallucinations?

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Got a question, but a first a bit of info on me:

-30 years old
-not a regular drug user (once every few months)
-drink every weekend, but a 12-pack mostly lasts me a week (4 or 5 beers on Fri/Sat each)
-done marijuana, never done anything else
-will sometimes binge drink on a weekend *ONLY* when out with friends at a bar, party, etc- this happens once a month nowadays

Basically, I'm lucky that I managed to stay somewhat in control with drinking, seeing as I have never in my life been a weekday drinker and have managed to stay responsible just about 100% of the time when it comes to obligations that require me to stay away from alcohol (family gatherings, work, etc.)

But, like anyone else, I still end up binge drinking the odd time- getting smashed on a Friday night then spending all Saturday recovering.. and wondering what the heck I did the night before and feeling embarrassed over some of the things I have done during those one-nighters..

As far as weed goes, I have never rolled a joint, don't even know how to- 95% of the time I'll pass it aside when out with buddies, but the other 5% I'll indulge.. which brings me to my question here-

this past Saturday night I got wrecked- didn't drink too much, but had a few 'supers' of weed from a friend and within 5 minutes I was floored- absolutely floored- and found myself sitting on his front porch completely immobilized. Got sick, and then everything just went 'far away' on me- everyone's voice was totally distorted and slowed down- I kept hearing voices behind me at times when no one was there- I thought someone was talking to me even when I was alone at one point- couldn't walk straight, could barely move- it seemed like this world was a different place, like a dark, living hell or something. I recall hearing whispers as well, very similar to an eveil whisper voice in a horror flick or something, this was just absurd.

Needless to say, I was terrified- don't know what kind of world that was, but is this typical for someone who doesn't use weed regularly?

I have smoked before and just don't recall an experience like that- usually it's all mellow and enjoyable but this time something went seriously wrong.

My question is, is there a possibility this weed was laced with something else? crack cocaine maybe? the paranoia was unbearable and this was from just 2 supers. I don't think the other guys got messed up like that- I really think there was something else in it- I was hallucinating like a lunatic- and even today, I still seem to see the odd thing pop up on my here on my screen- maybe a hangover from it or something, I don't know. Still traces of it in my system?

Does anyone have any info on this? Can weed be laced like that without my knowing?

thanks for any help
Old 07-03-2006, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

I'm not sure what you mean by a super, and you said you didn't drink too much...

I'd say definitely yeah! It sounds to me like someone laced it with something. Possibly crack, possibly heroine, possibly something else. It almost sounds like a bad LSD trip, although I've never heard of a way to smoke it.

I experimented back in my H.S. days, and the only time I experienced effects like that from weed was when something else was added to the bowl, or the joint was dipped, or something was mixed in with it.

I'd say most definitely it was laced. Whoever gave that to you without warning you first (and thereby giving you the option to decline the extra ingredient) was certainly no "friend".

Have you asked them about it? ... Did they laugh when it hit you so hard?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Sounds to me def. like it was laced. I wouldn't know for sure, but it doesn't sound like crack, it sounds more like a hallucinogenic. Be careful of these
friends of yours.

Welcome to SR! Glad your here!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the info guys.

question- if this was indeed some sort of hallucigen, is there a possibility I could have overdosed on this or even died even if it was smoked?

can you overdose when smoking something or does an overdose occur only with pills/injections etc?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

No, you can od from smoking some drugs. I don't know the facts, but I know meth and heroin you can od from.........

Good question, if I know why your asking. ;-)
Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm just so disappointed after that night.. I just need to know if there was a possibility I could have killed myself there. It was 2 hauls from the joint, but how it could have floored me like that is beyond me.

I think if I know there was a possibility I could have done myself in that night then I would literally scare myself out of ever going near it again for the fear of that happening to me again.

Weed has never affected me like that before, so I really do agree that there was something else in it. Nobody told me though. That in itself should be suffice to scare me the rest of my life to go anywhere near it- I swear at one point I thought I was dying (typical bad trip story though, eh)

didn't last long though, I managed to hit the couch within maybe 1/2 hour 1 hour of getting all screwed up- woke up maybe 5 hours later and was fine. I don't know what it was.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

HI n Welcome to SR, glad your lookingat as a problem...!

Some peolpe, will react in a paranoid state. If it was V strong weed that could also make you feel, V detactched from the world.
Done is right, keep an eye on those type of friends.

Good Luck... .
Old 07-03-2006, 10:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

The simple answer is YES, it could have killed you because you don't know what was in it.

GHB, heroin, meth, E, E,Special K, & Heroin mixed, any of those can kill you.

Why even take a chance again?
Did you like the way it feels? No, you say you only do it 5% of the time, so it shouldn't be hard to turn down that 5% of the time. You are worth so much more than an occasional hit here or there.

There's so much more out there, life is too short to be worried about what you are smoking, what's in it, or what isn't.......

You've got a good head on your shoulders, don't let some crazy thing mess you up. Stay away while your ahead....

:-)

Just my 2 cents....
Old 07-03-2006, 10:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

these 'friends' are full-blown addicts.. high 24-7 *literally*. Weed, coke, Extacy, you name it- all day long , every day. The past 10 years of their lives is a thick, dark fog.

These are guys I have known since the age of 13 or 14 in high school, though- actually, one of them I have known since about 8 or 9 years of age and have stayed friends all these years.

We go out for coffees, shopping for stuff, whatever- they get high every 30 minutes or so while I stay completely sober- I work full-time, the one friend doesn't work, still lives at home at 31. I know they have major, major problems with drugs and it is only going to get worse from here on in- but being lifetime friends, I don't hassle them about it because they just get angry or tune me out- I get a little sad sometimes too- maybe just for a brief moment- but I look at how they are suffering, whether they see it or not. Thing is, we're total opposites in the sense of substance abuse, but very similar in personalities and interests, etc.

The thought of them OD'ing or passing on crosses my mind often- but they seem to have it so perfected- they know what to use, how often, how much, etc. I never see them in complete stupors, but who knows how they are when they're on their own.

Nonetheless. One of these guys had the 'weed' on Saturday night so maybe I'm just not accustomed to this lifestyle and that's why it hit me like a train.
Maybe it wasn't laced, I don't know- but in the past, weed hasn't done that- not to that extent, anyways- not to the point where it was a major, major bad trip.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bool...

You're still breathing, so you didn't OD. But it sounds like you were heading that way... You can almost see the news report... "He only took two hits, we didn't tell him what was in it, and then he laid down and died".

Should you be scared from the experience? I sure would be!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

That's really sad. It sucks that your friends are in that journey, and it wouldn't surprise me if they laced it.

I don't mean to be rude, but have you thought about dropping these friends?
Things only get worse when it comes to active drug users. Read some of the threads in the Naranon forum.

Your young, and you can still find many great friends. Ones who will care about you more than their drugs......

Wouldn't it be nice to not be tied down by their habits when your with friends?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey man, I wouldn't call these people friends... It sounds like they're trying to pull you in to where they're at.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

the one friend is the one I don't necessarily trust- the other never so much as even offers me anything to do with drugs- he's obviously the closer one to me. He has actually hidden his addiction from me for a long time and only when I didn't immediately judge him on it after finding out did he begin to hang out with me more often- I don't hassle him on it or even mention it, really- so he feels a bit more comfortable around me, I guess. The minute I bring it up or lecture him, he goes into hiding again from me. The other 'friend' - yeah, he would lace it and not tell me, I think it's in him to do that.

Right now I'm scared stiff- like when you get that cold flush run through your body after finding out bad news or something- and here I sit again, asking myself why did I do that.. even if it is only a few times a year, I ask myself that question after each time. And now, after such a horrible experience, I realize that could have killed me- making this situation even worse- and pretty well cementing the idea in the back of my head that I won't go near this garbage again.

In fact, when I was 17 or 18, I smoked quite a bit of hash one night and had a similar experience come to think of it- a real, real bad trip that lasted hours and now that I think of it, had many similarities to this past Saturday night- distorted voices of those who were speaking, noises all around me, and an inability to move or even stand up- I really see that night way back then as the experience that allowed me to steer clear of drug use for just about all of my 20s. Ever since it has been few and far between but like I said, even the few times that I've 'indulged' I have pretty well regretted it every time.

What you guys say is absolutely right- if these 'friends' weren't around, I would never, ever even have access to this stuff and it wouldn't be around me so I would be clean 100% of the time without any slip-ups like this past weekend.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That sounds like a really good realization! I think you should hang on to it and remember it. Maybe write it down and stick it next to the phone or something.

If you're worried about "flashbacks" or residual effects, (you mentioned something about seeing pop-ups on your screen and not the usual kind), then maybe go to GNC and pick up a detoxifier. It might help get rid of anything that's left in your system. Flushing yourself with lots of water helps too.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
one of many

Was it laced? Maybe. But I doubt it. High grade marijuana can induce a pscyhotic state, especially in an individual who partakes infrequently. But that is besides the point. It sounds to me like you are starting to question the safety of your drug use and thats a good thing. Your "friends", are obviously not looking out for your best interest or your mental health. They just want to get wasted on whatever they can get, consequences be damned. I know because I used to be like them.

I'm glad you found a recovery website. You can get the perspective on the other side of drug use here. The lives that it effects and the people who struggle with it everyday. If and when you admit to yourself that you need help we will be here for you.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Binge poster

The few times I've tried smoking hash it had exactly the effect you described and I hated it - kept thinking that this was my reality now and it would never change - had whispering in my ears and caught things moving out of the corner of my eye....freaky.

So, it could be that it was just hash, but strong stuff - had you been drinking beforehand? That can make it worse too.

J
Old 07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thanks everyone- this looks like a great support site.

I had been drinking beforehand, yes- as many as 6 beers, possibly 7 or so over a 5 hour period- so i had a bit in me but not excessively or anything.

Nonetheless, the experience was just horrible- and I look at it now (from what I remember) and feel in such relief that I'm sober and ok now. The truth is, I won't 'party' now for another long while- probably not until next month when a few buddies get together again and I'm sure I'll down a few beers but this fear is re-installed in the back of my mind again- that if I even go NEAR a joint that I'll start to panic- and if I smoke it, I'll tumble downwards into that deep, dark hole again- I don't ever want to go 'there' again, wherever 'there' was. a different world, a different place, a deep, dark hole that is nothing but pure garbage, irresponsible, dangerous and life-ruining. Saps your confidence, changes your perspectives even when you're sober again, I can really see how that world can destroy lives, because it alters your entire outlook even after you've sobered up. And yet I know people that constantly need to live in this other 'place' and I just have no idea why.

I'm gonna continue to hang out here, I like the vibes I'm getting!
Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
REZ

My advice to you is to be careful who you hang out with and what you do. You seem to be handling you drugs/alcohol now, but this could change at any time, and as you saw, you could get some bad stuff. Drug addiction/alcoholism is a sneaky, tricky thing. You often don't see yourself getting deeper and deeper into it. Be careful my friend.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, the situation has gotten completely out of hand now.

Update-

apparently, the one guy I was with on this past weekend had spoken to the other "friend" of mine approximately 2 months ago concerning another evening we had out, drinking a few beers.

He (the same guy who gave me what I really think was laced weed) this past weekend had told the other guy that earlier this year, he had slipped half an extacy pill into my beer one night because I seemed like I was having no fun. He went on to tell him that for the rest of the evening it seemed like I had a great time.

Since hearing this, I've kind of been staring into space, half feeling in disbelief, half feeling wider awake to this whole thing now.

Shock? Not really- not that I look at the whole thing and who he really is. I chose not to assess him properly but all along he was there infront of me under my nose and what he was doing.

Disappointment? Absolutely.

Anger? Yes- towards myself, not him.

Sadness? A bit- a lifelong 'friend' that I used to ride bicycles with at 8 years of age through fields, play computer games with after school, etc. And now it ended up this way.

I also feel angry towards my other 'friend' who chose to stay quiet for 8 weeks before filling me in on it. He claims he wasn't sure it was a true story from the other guy, so chose not to say anything. Either that is a lie or his values and morals are out of order (I know his values are poor or non-existant). And he's also screwed up majorly on drugs too.

I look back on it- and recall some major/all-day hangovers the next day after partying with the first guy- and wondering "did I really drink that much?" Now another reason for those hangovers may be unfolding.

Not sure what else to say- might take a few days to get past this and move on with my near future (baby on the way, will be moving to a new city within a year or two). I guess this chapter is closing now.

All I can say to the good people who are recovering from this horrible world of addiction- please, take it from this whole story- the people in that world, the lifestyle it carries, the permanent and irreversible damage done to your body and brain, the loss of a future, the shorter lifespan that comes with it- is something that needs to be looked at and maybe used as a motivator to stay clean and become excited about a new life, a bright future and a chance at living again before we all pack it in one day.

When he calls me, I'll let him know that "I know", and that should be good enough. No fights, no arguments, no accusations, just so that he is aware that I know.

Then he goes his way and I go mine.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"...Then he goes his way and I go mine..."

...and hopefully "never the 'twain shall meet". Stay far away from this person -- he is NO FRIEND and has no respect for you. Rather, he's the kind of person who will accidentally kill you.

...or cause you to unintentionally pop positive on a drug test... or a dozen other things that can ruin your life.

This is akin to injecting you while you're asleep. Do you hear what you're saying? Slipping things into your drinks?!?!?!

Stay far away from this person no matter how long you've known them.