Notices

Is this normal?

Old 06-27-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

Hello. I am new to all of this so I am a little uncertain what is correct. My hubby went into an in patient treatment program for addiction to pain pills and fentynol. He left the program early and has since come home and gotten on Methadone. He was detoxed in the treatment program and had been without any type of narcotic for 15 days. Yet, the first thing he did when he came home is to get on Methadone. Is this normal? He says it is but I am not certain. If anyone has any experience on this, I would appreciate any help. I want to help him through this but need to know if this is something that he should be doing. Thanks!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Blondie,

I just saw your post and the fact that nobody responded to it. I actually have no experience with methadone but maybe if you post this same question over on the Narcotics/Substance Abuse forum, someone with the answer to your questions will be along.

Dont give up. Its slow around here right now, but there should be some help soon.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi ((blondie)) Welcome to SR.
I'm an alcoholic, so I don't have much experience on RX drug abuse. Sounds like he may have just switched his drug of choice?
I would suggest checking out Nar-anon here. Lot's of family memebers there that will understand what you are going through and help you learn to take care of yourself.
And as Miss C suggested, post this in the substance abuse forum. They should be able to answer your questions.

Glad your here.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
X IV

Hi Blondie,
Welcome to Sober Recovery. In my experience there is no such thing as "normal". I was taught that normal is a setting on a dryer.
Each addict has to decide, hopefully, with a Dr's help what course of treatment is best for them.
I used methadone as treatment and it worked for me. When I first got on it I had been clean for a couple of weeks but the cravings for opiates was intense. I would have used again if not for methadone and a 12 step program. Anyway this treatment worked for me. I am 3 1/2 years clean and sober and over a year free of methadone. Methadone and a strong 12 step program saved my life.
I hope this helps. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Well I have heard that methadone is used to wean someone off of a drug... but I have no experience in it either. I think asking in the NA forum is a really good idea.

Welcome to SR.

Suga
Old 06-28-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Hi Blondie,

Welcome to SR. There is so much good information here, all you have to do is cruise around the boards and read. The "stickies" or power posts at the top of each forum are like a library - information that has been helpful for so many people that it's kept at the top for easy reference.

You can also post your question on the "Ask The Experts" forum. They might be able to give you some information about methadone.

I can guarantee you that part of their answer will be for you to start working a recovery program of your own. Al Anon or Nar Anon will help you understand some of your feelings and frustrations, and will help you figure out what issues are yours to deal with and what is someone else's issue to deal with. The best thing I ever heard at a meeting is a promise: that many find serenity and even happiness whether or not the alcoholic or addict continues to use their drug of choice.

Again, welcome to SR.

Hugs and love
Barb
Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and words of encourgement. This is a hard time for me and our children right now but I know that things will get better. I appreciate the time we all spent helping me!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did the doctor prescribe it to him or did he go out and get it & just start taking it? Methadone is hard to get off of and the W/D's are more severe than heroin from what I have read and observed. That is what my AH is addicted to and he just can't get past a 2 or 3 days of W/D's and he has to go back to it.