Notices

Would You Like To Share What's On Ur Mind Today?

Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would You Like To Share What's On Ur Mind Today?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

In a regular face 2 face meeting or "f2f" the chairperson will open the floor first to anyone who wishes to share. To share on anything that is bothering them or just wishes to share where they r today.

Today I came here to share what's on my mind.

I'd like to read some post of where "you" are today in ur recovery. It helps me to know im not traveling alone in my thoughts and recovery.

Yesterday afternoon/evening my spouse of 24 yrs went out to a mexican resturant with some work buddies to celebrate a job they either finished or still working on. They normally do this a few times a yr.

Anyway.....Skipping forward to seeing my spouse return home before i retired to bed. I could sense he was feeling different than normal. Normal for me is knowing my husband doesnt drink on a regular bases. He not an alcoholic and drinking is not high on his priority list if not at all.

So when he does go out with work buddies which is rare i do get to see what he's like if hes had one or 2 drinks. He's ok....just i can sense he's had a little to drink.

It makes me reflect on how i would feel when ive had drinks in my system. And believe me if i were one of those that went out to drink in a group i surely wouldnt have have just 2 drinks. Were talking enough was never enough for me. I would definitely try to drink u under the table. And of course the consequences afterwards was not pretty.

Anyway...im just sharing that im glad im not allowing myself to be put in situation like that today. I am also glad i dont have a spouse that drinks on a regular bases. I definitely dont think i could handle it. Even after a few yrs sober i still feel vunerable to the drink.

I kinda grilled my spouse on last evenings affair just to see if anything has changes out there with alcohol. He shared about his co-workers esp the women there on how they had one too many drinks and either got sick or had to be driven home. Whew....Glad i wasnt there. I could have been like them sad to say. But when i was out drinking i didnt know anything about the disease of alcohol and what effects it had on my body.

Today im am sooooo greatful for the opportunity to live a sober happier life than before.

Anyway...i asked him about how he felt drinking and what they tasted like. Of couse because he's not a big drinker, he only elabrated on drinking his 2 margartitas on the rocks and how they made him feel. See a non alcoholic knows when enough is enough. Sad to say enough was never enough for me and today it never will be.

Today, even tho i miss the excitement of an outing like that, the drinking and loudness, and being a total jerk, im glad to be safe and sound here with u guys sober.

Sure i remember all the so call fun times out there. But all i have to do is play my tape a little further and see the distruction the disease of alcolism had on my body and mind. To recall how wreckless i was drinking drunk on the road. My accident hitting a concrete culvert sitting on top the ground which landed me in the hospital for 10 day with them removing my spleen punctered by many broken ribs. Then several months later after healing quite nicely to pick up a drink and try to end my life.

It still amazes me how quickly from Feb. 90 to Aug. 90 the progression of my disease has grown. UNBELIEVABLY FAST.

That was when my family stepped in and did an intervention on me sending me to rehab for 28 day.

Today im still sober by applying the tools of recovery shared with me so freely thru out all those yrs. Today i continue to share my ESH with u guys in hope to continue to live a more happy joyful sober life one day at a time.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sharon, thanks for sharing.

I have had drinking thoughts today but they have eased up right now. I have to keep reminding myself that I am powerless over alcohol and I know that I can't even have one drink. One drink will turn into more. Today, I felt angry because I can't drink but I'm trying to work on acceptance. There are so many things in life to do and the only think I can't do is drink or use drugs. That still leaves tons of endless possibilities. I am learning to enjoy these beautiful days of life without that haze that is too familiar to me. I am learning new ways and accepting change. The only thing I had to change was everything.

I find comfort in that phrase that I never have to drink or use again. I am embracing that with my mind and letting it sink in.

I know that it is the addiction talking when I feel like I miss drinking. It doesn't remind me of the total humiliation and destruction that I was bringing to my life. That is why I need to concede with my innermost being that I am truly powerless. With that in mind, I won't pick up a drink/drug today and I won't get drunk or high.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

Thanks for sharing - Here is what I am thinking about today.

* When will this blasted cold go away. I need another packet of tissues - ahhhh

* I need to get out and find a place to live. I have just sold my house and have to be out in 3 weeks. Do I rent or do I go back and live with my folks (not preferred option). There are some places open for inspection this morning - I need to go out and look.

* I want to spend some time researching my next car project (Yes, I am a rev head) - But this is not very productive. But it what I like to do. Bugger it, I will spend a bit of time on it - at least I won't be drinking

* I have a dinner guest tonight - I am making spinach lasagne - hope it turns out OK. I must tidy the house. DO I do this before or after I go to the house inspections ?

* I wonder if the Ex will drop in today - sometime she does this un-expectedly. I hope she doesn't front up when I my dinner guest is over tonight - that would be embarrasing all round.

* Why do I not want to tell my Ex about my dinner guest tonight - It is not like we are still together - I am allowed to have dinner guests.

* I really should take my dog for a walk - but with this cold, probablly not a good idea.

* Why have I got an excuse or a justification for everything ?

* Who or what is my higher power's higher power ??? What give my higher power it's power and where did that come from ?

* God - I have to work tomorrow. (new Job) Why do I get so nervous about work ? Why do I sweat so much on the journey into work. I don't really like the work but the money is unreal - and I mean UNREAL. I wish I could find something that I was passionate about that could be my job - even if it didn't pay that well.

* I am hungry now - so I think I will get some breakfast..

Have a funtastic day everyone

Aristo
Old 06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi hope. Thank u for sharing as well.

Im glad u brought up how u were feeling today. Just opening up and letting others know that u feel angry because u cant drink today allows them to know they are not alone in their feelings either.

I use to feel angry alot of times just like u. And i would often hear others in meetings say it will get better the longer u stay sober. And u know what, they were right. It has taken me time in my recovery to realize that, only because im a slow learner, and to finally get to a place in my sobriety where i truely believe there is happiness after alcohol.

There is hope as long as u dont give up. No matter how hard it gets, or how discourage u r because things are not moving fast enough, just continue putting one foot in front of the other.

Talk about how u r feeling or where u r in ur program with others and u'll recieve help and guidance and encouragement to stay on the right path.

Continue to ask ur Higher Power for strength, love, care, guidance and Thy will be done always. Amen.

: )

Stay strong and message me anytime u get down or just need a hug.
********** HOPE}}}}}
Old 06-23-2006, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Aristo and thanks for sharing and making me smile. : )

Im hungry too. Do u have room for one more guest? lol Then u would have to explain double time to ur ex about these people in ur house. : )

We do worry about so much you know. And really all we have to do is give it up to a HP. When i say my Serenity Prayer to myself over and over again or the 3rd Step Prayer and really feel it deep inside me, there is a sense of calmness that comes over me.

If u only knew how much i said that prayer in the early stages of my recovery.

As far as ur cold.... sniffle sniffle.....drink some hot liquidhere's a tissue for u and get lots of rest

U'll be fine soon. : )
Old 06-23-2006, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Balance - that's what on my mind today.

Balance is always important to me, but this week has been especially difficult.

I have a very close friend, 50 yrs old, who is dying of cancer. She's a single-parent, her son, just turned 18, and the father has never been involved.

I've been with her through the past 15 months or surgeries and treatments. I had been trying to offer what support I could. But, for several weeks, I realized that I'd been distancing myself. I realized that I was just so tired in every way. I saw her again on Tuesday and it was an awful day and I've been having tears on and off since then. I realized last night I was REALLY down and needed to do something about it. For me, depression will eventually lead me back to the road to hell. I have to fight it. So, I did. I got out today and did some things I like. This city is so much fun in the summer time and the weather was beautiful. I made it a 'me' day today and I feel better.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

Thanks Sharon ! Sure come over - the more the merrier. Thanks for the tissue.

I just re-read my post and I'm quite ashamed that it was ALL ABOUT ME !

Having realised this - I am now going to spend some time thinking about what I can do today to help someone else.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

Hi Anna,

Glad you caught yourself off balance and did something about it ! Well done.

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend today.

Aristo
Old 06-23-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

My name is Vic and I am a addict. Probably damn lucky to be here clean and sober. Maybe even a little more lucky than pleased, or maybe it is the other way around.

What is on my mind today

Denise

Work

God

Meetings

SR

Living life and enjoying it to the fullest

Trying to be a good person

Being absolutely honest in all of my affairs

Giving gratitude to a new life

Grateful for my journey in life.

Love Vic
Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
duck amuck

I'm thinking that there are two of me. There's the me that thinks that continuing to not drink and not smoke is a good idea even if it's a bitch. Then there's the me that thinks that it really doesn't matter if I drink or smoke, I'm going to die eventually anyway and why not enjoy myself while I can? Not drinking hasn't been a barrel of laughs so far, I'll tell ya that.

And in less than a week everything is going to change; my environment, my daily routine, the people around me... everything, and not necessarily for the easier or better. It's going to be easier to drink than it would have been over the last few months. I'm kind of stressed about it, wondering how I'm going to handle it. On the upside, meetings will be more accessible.

My wife keeps saying she's proud of me, but I'm not sure for what. I'm hanging on by my fingernails most days. I think I'm more unstable now than when I was drunk all the time. She just hasn't had a chance to experience it yet.

137 days. When do *I* start feeling good about it?

Old 06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sharon nd everyone else!

This topic came at the perfect time. Today has been a TOUGH day for me. I had a situation come up at work...and I had "words" with someone. I felt so violated....and frustrated...and ANGRY at the moment. When I walked away and sat at my desk....all I could think about was getting off work and having some drinks to ease the frustration. But of COURSE I can't do that....or should i say...I don't really "want" to do that. Today I "LEARNED" That frustration and anger are a HUGE trigger for my drinking (But then again....so is happiness and contentment)

I too felt disapointed that I can't drink like a "normal" person. For a SPLIT second I thought...."Awww....what the heck...I'll just have a few" But then I PLAYED my past behaviors in my mind...and clearly remembered why I "CHOOSE" not to drink. This weekend I will NOT wake up Sick. I will NOT watch my weekend dissapear in the blink of a blurry and druken eye. I WILL not say mean things to my husband...whom I ADORE. I will NOT make a fool of myself (or at least not because I'm drunk te-he) I will NOT feel like I'm destroying my body and Mind.
I WILL enjoy my Husband and Children. I will FEEL healthy and CLEAR Headed. I WILL Continue to get my house in order and work on Home Improvements. I WILL feel PROUD of myself for working on a solution to a LONG and SERIOUS problem.

When I drink....my weekends consist of 2 things.....getting DRUNK and recovering from hangovers ....oh...and lets not forget watching TV. When I'm sober...I actually Utilize my time. I'm GRATEFUL for that.

My emotions are playing me today. One minute I'm HAPPY as can be...and still excited about recovery. The next second my disease try's to take the wheel and I begin to think I can have "Just a few" It tells me I've worked HARD all week and "DESERVE" the relaxation. I don't let that thought settle in though....as it's a ridiculous thought. I'm rather irritated by it....and fearful of it. Rationally I KNOW that drinking is NOT a way to make me feel better...and I'm pissed off that my mind tries to tell me it is. UGGG.

So Today I'm feeling Scared, Sad, Angry, Disapointed, frustrated, HAPPY, PROUD, EXCITED, HOPEFUL and Grateful. The emotions are fluctuating WILDLY today. I read something in someones signature that said something to the effect of....." the good news is that when you stop drinking...your feelings come back....and the bad news is....your feelings come back" LOL....how TRUE!~ BUT....considering the alternative...I "LIKE" the feelings.

Hugs and peace to you all,
-ME
Old 06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

(((Anna)))

On my mind is;

My head
housework
the opposite sex!
lightness
meeting
today

thats it, pretty light headed these days

Kevin
Old 06-23-2006, 06:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some good sharing today by everyone above me. And see, with everything going on in our lives we have all managed to stay sober. Some things are good and some not so good. But to think things out in our mind using the program of recovery, our 12 Steps, sharing our ESH with each other, having faith in Something or Somebody greater than ourselves to supply us with strength and guidance we can stay clean and sober one day at a time.

I was thinking earlier after i had sent in my post to another place which wasnt generating any activity, so i copied and pasted it here to see what would happen. Well at first i thought.....darn no one wants to share on my thread. I could have coped a huge resentment right then and there...something i probably would have done quite easily in early recovery.....but instead thought it thru and remembered what another member showed me what to do earlier on about re-posting in another area.

So cool.....here my post is heating up with shares until the lovely Anna sent me a message reminding me about rules and posting just one time. Hmmmm i thought to myself.....HOW RUDE..... lol And again i could have really coped a resentment big time...something i would have done in early recovery.....like how dare u TELL me what to do....lol But today is totally different.....I was very grateful that little Anna graciously reminded me how things work around here and told her how much I APPRECIATED HER.

So for me time in recovery is helping me learn to live life on lifes terms and accept help from others when necessary instead of coping a resentment and holding a grudge. : )

I was beginning to think earlier on when my post wasnt getting any bites that i may need to get those tissues that i gave to Aristo for his sniffles.

So to all who are posting and sharing how they r feeling today and night, well here's a huge

And u all are much APPRECIATED

Old 06-24-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

Sorry Sharon - all out of tissues now - <sniff, sniff><ahcchhooooo>.

ha ha
Old 06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an alcoholic.

Im getting ready to go run/walk at a nearby park. It is blazing hot down here in Houston Tx. Aristo ran out of tissue and I will probably need a new box when i get back to mop up all the sweat ill be raining from my outing. If someone can find me a new box id appreciate it....lol

ill report back when i return to share what little has been going on today other than staying sober and reading post here in SR.

Later recovery buddies. : )
Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Question Anything Interesting Happened To You Today?

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Today has been a quiet peaceful day. No spouse around. No kids. Just me, myself and I, oh and the 2 cats, 1 bird, and 2 fish. Well...mostly quiet. The kids across the street have decided to begin the 4th of july festivities a tad early with poping fire crackers. That kinda pisses me off. : ( But i know i have NO control over them or that. So i have to just ACCEPT that situation and pray about it. Oh and not to mention the freakin neighbor next door that has been a THORN in my side ever since we moved here 9 yrs ago. This woman LOVES to aggrivate me. But let me do one thing to annoy her and i'd never hear the end of it. See its ok if she waters not only my yard but my driveway too. OH NOOOO..! Then our side water facet had a leak and she claimed we were flooding her yard. And we just had a huge rain storm......SOME PEOPLE. LOL

I think that if and when i do move away from this place, THOSE people will not be missed at all.

Oh noooooo i just sneezed...lol Hey Aristo where's that box of kleenex....lol I must be catching ur cold......lol

Sniffle sniffle.... : )

Other than that little bit of aggrivation, it wasnt enough to make me want to go out and drink. The longer i stay sober, those little things dont seem to bother me as much as they use to....but they still stir up some internal termoil at times. Im just glad i know how to laugh about it today. : )

So what did u guys do today that u would like to share with me and the group.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had thoughts of taking my own life a few days ago. I could take it anymore. I was embarrased, ashamed, not ready to face life without pills, tired, shaking, hurting. etc. etc. etc. I am making the right choices for me - for once. I choose to get better and rid myself of this addiction. For once I feel good about doing something good for myself.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lots of great shares.

Today caught me off guard. I felt so irritable most of the day! The bad point is that I couldn't even pinpoint what I was feeling the way I was feeling. I was kind of moody early but I took some time for me to reflect and see the underlying reasons. I think my mood has mellowed out now.

I remembered what someone said.."just sit with the yucky feelings". That is just what I had to do....sit with these yucky feelings and actually FEEL them instead of running the other way. I thought.....well it is OK to FEEL this way...so I had to accept what I was feeling and acknowlegde it. Then I had to remember that the feeling would pass no matter how long that feeling seemed to linger around. It is OK to feel. Allowing ourselves to develop acceptance for these feelings is a step in moving forward.

I feel much more serene now. : )

Today, I am truly BLESSED and GRATEFUL to be sober!!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Sharing My Esh With You

Hi Try2quit4good.

And thanks for sharing what's been going with u.

Im glad u have the WILLINGNESS and the DESIRE to make some changes and wiser decisions in ur life. I was 30 when i hit bottom and thought i was the youngest person getting sober 15 yrs ago. U r young and there is hope just like many others wanting to tackle their addictions too. For me i didnt know what to do. I didnt have the resources available like they have today esp. with the computer. I didnt know about AA or rehab till i hit bottom and my family did an intervention on me.

It was during my 28 day stay in rehab that i learned alot obout our disease of Alcoholism and drug addiction. I too tried to end my life. Trying to end my misery the best way i knew how. Pills and alcohol. It wasnt me that really wanted to die but rather the disease that had me thinking irrationally. Thank goodness my attempt failed and that my higher Power was there to Help me along with my family. They and He did for me what i couldnt do for myself and for them and that i am truely greatful.

I realized that just because we have this disease, we dont have to deal with it alone. There are so many wonderful people out there traveling along the same road of recovery as us willing to help us and guide us thru the rough and tough times. To carry us till we r strong enough to stand on our own.

They freely share their own experiences strengths and hopes with us on what it was like for them when drinking and drugging and what happened to them during that time and what it is like now that they r in recovery. From there we learn from them ..learn enough to be able to help and guide others that will follow us one day. And that is how our wonderful recovery program works.

Anyway...continue to share here with others ur own ESH with them and soon u will be living the promises that they express to us in the Big Book about living Happy Joyous and Free.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Sharing My Esh With You

Hi hope4life.

And thanks for sharing what was going on with u today.

Im glad ur in a more serene place this evening. Another day is almost over and u can reflect on how u did and thank ur Higher Power for keeping u safe and guiding u in making some right decisions on staying sober or clean.

Tomorrow the sun will shine providing there's no rain in the forcast... : )
and whether it doesnt or does we ask please ..that HUGE word PLEASE to help us stay clean or sober thru out the day and making sure in the evening to say another HUGE word....THANK YOU for keeping u clean and sober.

In early recovery and still today we have to keep a check on certain things thru out the day that may make us feel uncomfortable. Things like Hunger, Anger, Lonliness and tiredness. Or RID ...restlessness, irritability and discontent.

When these things flare up take each and do some mantainance on them. Get proper nutrition...not too much caffine, exercise, walk, take small naps, rest ur eyes, read a good book, relax, visit with a friend, go to meetings to get ur daily medicine for the day because we r sick people.

Did u know that we alcoholics and addicts are the only ones with a disease that is treated my going to meetings. And it doesnt cost us anything to stay clean and sober. Pretty good huh?

Anyway....ur on the right track. Keep doing what u been doing each day and before u know it u will have many one days at a time in recovery sharing ur own ESH with others just beginning where u r now.

We in recovery are doing what we r called to do. Service work of helping others that follow us in recovery and walk side by side with many others traveling along the same road.

And this is where i will say thanks for leeting me share.