Notices

New to all this...

Old 06-21-2006, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New to all this...

Hello to all. My eyes have been newly opened to the destructive force of alcoholism. I am involved with a man who has spent the better part of 15 years avoiding the fact that he is an alcholic. The "lightbulb" moment for me was when he laid his hands on me and abused me for the first time. He has been down the denial road for most of our relationship, but finally there is light... He has decided to attend his first AA meeting tonight in many years and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I have endured almost 2 years of his drinking getting progressively worse, as well as his verbal, mental and physical abuse. Now sometimes it feels like too little too late. But something inside of me knows that there is a wonderful man under this disease and I can't leave him alone in his time of need. I have never had to deal with addictions before and I am feeling very uncertain. My family is very lucky, as we are not predisposed to the disease and none of us drink. Where do I go from here? Thank you for any support or guidance you can give me.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome!

Here is the forum where you can find others in your situation.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

Glad to see a new member...
Old 06-21-2006, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Amyrosebud,
I wanted to take a moment to say hello and welcome you to SR.
Down a bit on this site is a forum..Friends and Family of Alchoholics where I think you'll meet many that have been, or are where you are.
When he love an addict, we can become as sick as they. Its a very sneaky and cunning disease, that can take entire families down.
Perhaps you could locate an Alanon meeting in your area that would allow you to meet those who can help you in this journey.
It may be a long road, and bumpy at times, but its a worthwhile journey.
((((hugs))))
Cece