My job stuff AGAIN OT - but exciting for me!

Old 06-21-2006, 02:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking My job stuff AGAIN OT - but exciting for me!

This job has been advertised - unfortunately P/T but absolutely in the career direction I want to go! Unlike the last job I tick all the boxes!! I'm waiting for the phonecall back right now. I've just phoned D and he has utterly, enthusiastically, and unreserverdley said we can/will live on his wage and my P/T wage. It means I could do my MA in one year rather than between 2-4 too!!! I'm so excited, I'm SO excited!! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!

We are currently recruiting to our Panel of Independent People (IP), which is jointly managed by .... Council and ..... County Council. The Independent People on the Panel provide an independent element in the Social Services complaints procedure. To qualify as an Independent Person neither you nor your partner can be a member or officer of either authority.

We have various roles for IP’s; these include investigating complaints against the Social Services Department, shadowing the investigator where the complaint is made by a child, chairing Review Panels and sitting as an independent member of a Review Panel.

Your skills and attributes should include:-
• Be independent minded
• Have good listening skills
• Manage challenging situations
• Work under pressure and to strict timescales
• Analyse information and produce accurate and concise reports
• Work from home on a commissioned basis
• Adhere to equal opportunities policies
• Be self motivated and work under own initiative
• Be professional and customer focused
• Having your own transport is desirable as the work could involve travel across City and County
• Have some knowledge of how large organisations function

We in turn will offer you regular guidance, advice and training. Hours are negotiable and our rates are competitive.

For more information...
Old 06-21-2006, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh eq - sounds like a perfect fit for you! go for it and glad that you have D rooting for you!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Best of luck of getting the job!
Great to hear about Ds support... but I'm not surprised at all
Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well they phoned!! I DO tick all the boxes and they're keen for me to apply. The downsides are that work isn't garaunteed and is commissioned piecemeal, she said the average is about 10 hours a week. The pay is pretty good £20 an hour or $37 so it would be a real if small income.

D is still 100% behind me doing it and has said if I was only sat studying he would absolutely be willing to be the breadwinner - the work not being garaunteed isn't a problem to him.

In a sense I'm in shock, part of me had wanted to do the MA full time but could see no means of achieving that while keeping my work level high enough to re-enter later. I'm scared ****less about competition for the post, they attract lawyers, doctors, etc. It doesn't matter how many boxes I tick if the next person ticks them better!!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Okay...stop the what if's. Think positive. Think the job is already yours.

This jobs sounds like it was created just for you. Working from home!!! That's a dream come true for a lot of folks.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Think positive. Think the job is already yours.
I am - far too much, but I can't help it.

I spoke to one of my old supervisors about it and she felt it was right up my street as long as we could afford the wage cut!!! She said it would be a healthy outlet for my pedantic reasoning which actually is one of the first things she's ever said that make me feel she likes me as opposed to being 'supportive' - I couldn't help but laugh!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

equus.....sounds like a perfect match! I am excited for you!!! They would be very lucky to have you!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You go girrrrl......I wish the best for you. It sounds like you already have it in the bag !!! Good Luck and keep us informed ok.

Janet
Old 06-21-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

D is still 100% behind me doing it and has said if I was only sat studying he would absolutely be willing to be the breadwinner
I was just thinking what an confidence boost for D to be the main bread winner... bet that would do wonders for him....
Old 06-21-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman
I was just thinking what an confidence boost for D to be the main bread winner... bet that would do wonders for him....
He's been a whole family breadwinner before, he was for many years despite it exceding his income considerabley. Somewhere out there is a mother he put through university while she cheated on him and kids he taxi'ed while she was sleeping with another man. I'm very proud to be different and not a 'taker' but we are a team, I'd always work - however I'm grateful for the boost which will make the difference between possible and impossible. I think it would be a very solid career move, it has lots of crossover to my current post and occassional seconded work and I'm passionate about proffessional ethics - knowledgable too, even if that is big headed to say!

I think it is a boost for D that I have the confidence to finish my job to do this - THAT he knows wouldn't have been the case a year ago, probably still not the case six months ago but I am confident now.

It is definately about getting better - what you all call recovery!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like wonderful news equus. I hope things work in your favor.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

that's a great perspective jazz - it sounds like a win-win for everyone. i have no doubts that eq will be posting soon about her new job!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just want to say good luck too. It does sound perfect for you.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Survivor

Congrats!

I am so happy for you! Isn't it exciting when things start working out?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is great equus. And don't worry about any other applicants, they are no competition to you.

Mike
Old 06-21-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Equus, this is wonderful news, I agree with the crew, the universe seems to be moving and shifting in your direction!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I told my best mate about it tonight - she laughed her head off, said it sounded daunting but right up my street!!

Thank you all so much - it feels incredible to have such a great bunch cheering for me - and of course for D!!

* Living with D is ace - I was looking at embyonic pond snail eggs under a microscope tonight, you could see their eyes and see them wiggling inside the jelly - they were SO CUTE!! I never know what I'll learn or see next!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I stopped "what-iffing" about the future, things just seemed to start falling into place. Maybe that's what's happening for you. I hope so. Good luck.

L
Old 06-21-2006, 04:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow! I'm excited for you!!!!!!! sounds perfect for you equus, I can hear the excitement in your post!!!!
I'm cheering for you along with everyone else!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This place rocks!!!