Podcast on Addiction

Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Podcast on Addiction

I love my ipod! There is a show on NPR, national public radio, called Science Friday. They just posted a show on addiction. Very good, worth listening too!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here is the link. http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2...r1_061606.html

I think you can download and listen for free on your computer using windows media player or real player etc.

Again worth a listen, goes into genetics, environment, talking with leading scientists in the field of addiction research.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Wow! An audio sticky....
You can download or playback the archived audio of the interview.
Some seemingly very qualified folks speaking on the subject.
Good intro to newbies
Old 06-20-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guy, you are really learning everything, very good.
Keep us updated.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This was great....Thank You.

Janet
Old 06-20-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this Guy

This is, in my opinion, good stuff. Frustrating it all takes so long - much of this was presented over 20 years ago in "Under the Influence." I'm so grateful the dialogue continues.

I look forward to the day this is more accepted, as there is still much dissension on the subject. No matter what your beliefs on alcoholism and addiction, this program gives a lot to consider.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A Question for the Group

A question for the board. If you accept that the premise of this audio clip is true.....i.e. addiction has a strong genetic and bio chemical basis, would you say this challenges the concept of letting a person "hit bottom" on their own.

Would the better treatment be forcing them into a hospital for evaluation, and medication with therapy consisting of behavioral reeducation? Especially since there appear some many new drugs to help fight addiction.

Or again, is the only way for a person to recover is "hit bottom" so hard the consequences force the person to change their destructive behavior?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

IMO a person hitting bottom is a self motivated individual and might have a better chance of a successful recovery that someone who was thrown into rehab against their will.

Besides... the legal system is already overwhelmed. How could they handle the responsibility of forcing everyone into rehab that "needs it". Then... how do you define the people "that need it".

I do see your point and think I know where you're coming from Guy...
But nobody has the power to force the Mother of your children into rehab again and again until it sticks. We are powerless over others.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Jazz,

Nope, I have let go and let God in regards to my wife. If anyone is going to intervene on her behalf, it will have to be her family.

Nope my interest is just intellectual curiosity. I have read both sides of the debate, I think nytepassion write's the best on letting go and letting God. My personal experience came to this conclusion also.

But, if biomedical research continues in this same vain, then new drugs may be able to "heal" a person of an addiction, and offset the requirement of person totally destroying their lives while serving their addiction.

In regards to cost, not sure. The cost of long term incarceration, deaths, abandoned children etc as compared to forced treatment for a period of a few months.

It will take greater minds than my own to figure this out!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought the most interesting comment in the interview was that brain chemistry of addiction ultimately morphs into a mode similar with brain chemistry associated with "instinctive survival".

Wow! The ULTIMATE catch 22! Maybe folks will start to understand why it's so difficult to beat a chemical addiction. Fighting battles on even unknown fronts for the individual. It's just not about habits and behavior or some latent childhood root cause trauma, but very real brain chemistry changes.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman
It's just not about habits and behavior or some latent childhood root cause trauma, but very real brain chemistry changes.
I absolutely subscribe to this. It explains so much of what I've observed.

To answer Guy's question, I think it would be great for a drug to be made available to those who want it, but it always comes down to personal choice. What I would like to see first is the stigma removed from addiction. While there will always be those who choose to use an addictive substance for pleasure, I have witnessed first hand those who are desperate to overcome it. Perhaps acceptance and non-blame would let people "hit their bottom" much sooner. A huge part of the disease is overcoming the denial you have it.

There are no easy solutions. Understanding the physiological aspects of addiction has brought a lot of peace to my mind and life.

Thanks again, Guy, for posting that.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

There is one thing I know for sure - I can't cure the alcoholic. So I don't spend time anymore researching wonderful new therapies, drugs and rehab centres.

When she is ready to quit drinking, I pray those those wonderful therapies will be there for her, but I have no control over that.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello guy,

Originally Posted by guyinNC
A question for the board. If you accept that the premise of this...
It's not a premise, it's a summary. If you take a bit of time to browse thru www.niaaa.nih.gov you'll see all the medical documentation that demonstrates the biological foundations of addiction. It's a _huge_ amount of stuff, so give yourself some time.

Originally Posted by guyinNC
... Would the better treatment be forcing them into a hospital...
Think of a different disease, say heart failure. If you force people into a hospital for heart disease what happens next? If you let them out will they magically stop eating greasy foods and go to the gym every day? What if they don't? Do you keep them locked up forever because they refuse to give up greasy foods and go to the gym?

It is not possible to protect people from themselves. If they don't want to make improvements in their own health and life of their own will then locking them up will just make them more stubborn. As long as the pain of eating greasy foods and not excercising is less than the pain of a bad heart then folks will continue to live unhealthy.

Alcoholism is no different. "Hitting bottom" is true of all diseases, and of many things in life. Even co-dependants have to "hit bottom". At some point the pain of being tangled with an addict becomes greater than the pain of facing our own "dependence" on the relationship.

Mike
Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
Think of a different disease, say heart failure. If you force people into a hospital for heart disease what happens next? If you let them out will they magically stop eating greasy foods and go to the gym every day? What if they don't? Do you keep them locked up forever because they refuse to give up greasy foods and go to the gym?

It is not possible to protect people from themselves. If they don't want to make improvements in their own health and life of their own will then locking them up will just make them more stubborn. As long as the pain of eating greasy foods and not excercising is less than the pain of a bad heart then folks will continue to live unhealthy.
Beautifully stated - I love the junk food metaphor...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you have not listened to Science Friday, you guys should give it a try. It downloads for me automatically every week. Topics range from global warming, to space science, coral bleaching etc. Aways good shows, entertaining and informative. Plus, unlike many of the other shows on NPR , it manages to leave the political biases out of its reporting.

Hope you enjoy!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

guy, how do you get the download?? I only know SR and E-Mail. Probably one has to have an ipod??
Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Clancy....just click on the link he posted in his 2nd post.....
Old 06-21-2006, 12:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmaslan
Clancy....just click on the link he posted in his 2nd post.....
Hey the audio archive link is not available anymore!

Mike! Tech support!!! I downloaded the file and it's 18 megs MP3 compressed. Anyway to put it on the SR server?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

... Hey the audio archive link is not available anymore!...
They moved it. It's over here

http://www.sciencefriday.com/feed/

... Anyway to put it on the SR server?
Nope, that would be a huge copyright infringement. But if they should loose it I got a copy and I can put it on my server without affecting SR.

Mike