Notices

Advice needed

Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Advice needed

I found this site as I was searching for help for my brother. I am not sure where to begin. Basically, my brother is 33 and has been struggling with an addiction to Meth. for many years, he has been in and out of jail several times for possession. When he gets out he may stay clean for a week or two but then he keeps falling back into the hands of his addiction. After many years of dealing with his lies, deceit, stealing, anger, abusiveness, etc...my family has now given up. I moved away from CA. where he is at 8 years ago but now recently most of my family has also moved away from the area which has now left my brother homeless. My family has exhausted help in form of money, food, a shower, a ride, even a job through a family ran business that he couldn't hang on to, but now my family has said it's time for him to reach rock bottom. Me being his sister is just devastated! I know he needs to want to help himself but I cant imagine my brother being homeless and without food I feel like this may only make matters worse. I know my brother has said he wishes he was back in jail so that he could have food, a bed and a shower. The last time he was arrested (about 2 months ago) they held him until his court date then let him go saying the jails are too full. He is on parole and was in direct violation and they let him go! I know this is wrong but my family was hoping they would keep him so the burden would be off of them. So what can I do? Is there any hope for him? I wish I could get him into some type of live-in re-hab but he wont go!!! If there is anyone out there that can offer me any advice or direct me somewhere please let me know. I have not given up on him but I dont know how or where to begin with trying to help him,especially with being in another state.
I know there is such thing called Drug Court in Ca, so why hasn't the courts put him in a mandated re-hab. I am really worried because of the people my brother surrounds himself around it's a very bad crowd and worry that he may end up dead if he does not get away and recieve help!
desperate to help my brother!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!!

I am so sorry for your pain and your brothers
situation.

Here is a forum for you to read and share on...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nar-anon/

Blessings...
Old 06-19-2006, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! Im so sorry you are going through this and my heart goes out to you and your family. I wish I could offer advice but I havent a clue as to the laws in Ca. I know that here, if you petition the courts to find him mentally unstable, even temporarily, then you could also petition and the court most likely would give you the power (there is a name for it but Im having a brainfart at the moment and cant remember) to basically take over and have him admitted into rehab.....even against his will. Then you can keep this "power" until he is better, if he falls off the wagon again, you can just call and have him admitted again and again......but like I said this is here, Im sorry I cant be of more help but maybe you could check to see if Ca. or where you are does anything like this.

Good Luck to you, please keep us posted, your in my thoughts!
Love Liss
Old 06-19-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Free to Be Me

Good Morning! I am so sorry to hear that you, your brother and the rest of your family are in such pain. I will keep all of you in my prayers!