Notices

True Happiness! :-)

Old 06-18-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink True Happiness! :-)

I woke up this morning so completely happy and full of joy! I realized that this is a fantastic gift of being sober. I didn't wake up with a hangover, no wondering what I did or said yesterday, no embarrasment from calling people and saying all kinds of stuff that I can't remember and just knowing that I am learning to take care of myself. Life is much better for me today than when I was drinking or taking drugs.

The crazy part of it all is that I used to be deceived into thinking that all that junk made me happy when all it did was make me depresssed. My head was so full of lies that addiction whispered to keep me locked into its grips. But fortunately, I realized those lies and I found the determination to fight through that monster and get back to myself. I am still a while from feeling and being where I should, but I am so truly blessed to be on the path of a better life. I am glad to be heading for healing today instead of being sucked back into destruction.

I don't need alcohol or drugs to cause fake happiness.
I have the real true happiness that only sobriety can bring!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hope,
Very hopeful message you write, focused on the positive, I love it!

Just yesterday I was reading the writings of Antony deMello, and what he wrote about happiness.

"Take a look at the world around and see the unhappiness in you and around you. Do you know what causes this unhappiness? You will probably say loneliness or oppression or war or hatred or atheism. And you will be wrong. There is only one cause of unhappiness: the false beliefs you have in your head, beliefs so widespread, so commonly held, that it never occurs to you to question them. Because of these false beliefs you see the world and yourself in a distorted way. And because of your programming you don't even realize this.

What are these false beliefs that block you from happiness? First: You cannot be happy without the things you are attached to and you consider so precious. False. There is not a single moment in your life when you do not have everything that you need to be happy. The reason you are unhappy is because you are focusing on what you do not have rather than on what you have right now.

Another belief: Happiness will come if you manage to change the situation you are in and the people around you. Not true. You stupidly squander so much energy trying to rearrange the world. What makes you happy or unhappy is not the world and the people around you, but the thinking in your head.

Another false belief: If all your desires are fulfilled you will be happy. Again, false. In fact it is these very desires and attachments that make you tense, frustrated, nervous, insecure, and fearful.

If you wish to attain lasting happiness you must be ready to give up all your desires and wants and possessions. Not by renouncing them because what you give up violently you are forever bound to. Instead, by seeing them for the nightmares that they are, then, whether you keep them or not, they will have lost their grip over you, their power to hurt you, and you will be out of that darkness of fear and unhappiness."
--Antony deMello The Way to Love
Old 06-18-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that! That is a really great insight into happiness. So so true!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WTG HOPE!!!!
I am learning the same things!!!! Morning without a hangover is soooooooo wonderfully strange but Im LIKING it!!!! LOL

Chin up and stay positive!!!!!!! Have a WONDERFUL Day!!!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post. So so so true! Everything is so much better without drugs. I used to fear that I would never enjoy life without pills. I enjoy it MORE clean!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. Yes....I can relate. What a wonderful gift it is to know true happiness, and to wake up refreshed and LOOKING forward to the day...rather than wanting to hide from ourselves due to the bad choices we made the night prior.

I'm in the HAPPY mood with you!
Hugs!
Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I needed to see this thread today. I went to bed miserably wanting to drink when I woke up. Now that I'm awake, I can't get the thought of alcohol out of my head. I know that it makes me this sad person, but somehow I always think that it will make me happy. I know I'm happier without it. Now if I can just remember that each day...