Notices

cold medication

Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cold medication

have been sober for almost 4 days now. i got a terrible cold yesterday and it seems to be getting worse. i am thinking of taking some cold medication that makes you drowsy,like neo citran or something like that. alcohol has always been my drug of choice but i am thinking since this mood altering it might not be such a great idea? i feel like i am dying here since with all the coughing i can't sleep. any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

If you're serious about staying sober, I would suggest staying clear of NyQuil or any medicine that has alcohol in it.

I personally haven't had any issue with over the counter cold medicines (avoiding, of course, those with alcohol), but to play it safe, you may want to look for a "non-drowsy" formula if the symptoms are really bad. There are many with much better chemical knowledge than me on here, so I'm sure you'll get other replies.

Good, hot showers or baths, lots of fluids, bed rest, and a slathering of Vicks on the chest is usually all I'll use until I get desperate. Congratulations on 4 days sober. I'm sorry you have to deal with a cold, but remember -- they usually burn themselves out in about seven days. Hang in there.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-14-2006, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I totally agree with Sugah

Sleeplessness in early sobriety is to be expected.
See if this helps..
Sleep Link

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Take care...
Old 06-14-2006, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have an issue with alcohol I recommend you avoid those products...
There are tons of other items that do not have any in it.
Try the alka seltzer plus or tylenol cold and flu etc... Just ask the pharmacist if you go to a pharmacy...just say you are looking for alcohol free cold product... I have had several people ask for such products and showed them right to em....I also seem to get a terrible cold everytime I "clean up" from using....congrats on your 4 th day !!!!!